Thread: Soaring Thursday June 9th

Soaring Thursday June 9th

It turned out to be a good day to soar - Matt in JH, Rex+HO in the Duo.
    Ceilings weren't great but the lift was good, strong, and dependable
    and later in the day dependable convergence. Friday looks to be similiar
    in the RASP.

A PB for me solo - both distance and time.

The right day to take a day off work...

Marianne (P1)

Re: Soaring Thursday June 9th

Congratulations!

Marianne,
    No graphic, no igc file, and nothing on OLC.
    I wonder what you call a "good day to soar" and what is it that was your PB.
    In any case, way to go - on having a PB.

Will you be posting your flight log on the OLC?
    Peter Kelly

Two bad news, one possible good news -
    Bad 1. I forgot to turn on my Nano flight recorder (I will NEVER forget again).
    Bad 2. My model20 still isn't recording my aircraft 'N'-number in the IGC file to the PDA, only my name and competition number.

Possible good 1. I'll take the model20 out this afternoon and see if Noelle and I can recover the flight directly.

I don't think I should post a flight with partial documenting information.

Marianne,
    I agree that partial flight info for OLC is not worth spending time on at all.
    So it only comes down to your own use of the flight log for flight analysis - IF you choose to use the log for flight analysis.
    When I am watching the forecasts closely, as I am this week, I always like to see a log so I can compare climb rates and altitudes to the forecast charts. Logs from the Duo never seem to get posted, so that is why I was hoping you had one, but that's all ancient history now. It's a never ending task when attempting to validate forecasts.

As for personal best and bragging rights, neither a graphic, nor flight log file is required.

It's simply a matter of communication with the other pilots.
    We all enjoy hearing about other peoples accomplishments, especially yours. You have advanced very quickly in this challenging sport of ours.

My personal pref is to do a graphic, because it's quick, and it communicates, track and altitude as well as duration and terrain, but I have read lots of debriefs that communicate far more, AND are far more entertaining, when spoken or written in a descriptive and creative manner. Trouble is, it takes a lot of time to prepare a good written or oral debrief. Debriefs by JJ come to mind as some of the classics. Always entertaining, as well as informative. Few of us have such skills at story telling. Thus, I do it the lazy way.

The extensive use of analysis by newer pilots, using the flight log, is probably the primary reason I have structured the race series as it is this year. Everyone should be able to complete the task on each race day, and newer pilots will always be able to understand why the top three speeds were in fact the winners.

I wish you well on resolving your frustrating logger difficulties.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 06-10-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Peter Kelly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG_PB_Flight_Jun09_2011.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	333

If only I had remembered to turn on my Nano, this flight would have earned me Silver distance and altitude. I towed out to North Walker, and then worked the clouds on my way N toward St John, but I
    got low E of Tree Farm.

The most exciting part of the flight was digging out of a low point near E4, and then getting high
    enough to work the lift near Tree Farm and continue heading N, E of the ridges past Snow Mtn and
    up toward St John where I ran out of clouds. The rest of the flight I only had to make a couple of
    turns. I worked convergence S into Rumsey Gap, and then back N to Tree Farm before heading back
    to WSC for a 4 hour flight.

Luckily, I remembered to turn on my Nano on July 10th - I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I think
    my flight the next day will earn me Silver distance for a striaght out and return flight:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1_Flight_Jun10_2011.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	334

There's a strange jog on the Nano recorded flight, but the flight log from the GPSNav is identical
    after release from tow.

Marianne - What a great flight! It looks like you really covered some ground and explored new territory. Thanks for recounting the story - made me smile just thinking about it!
    Congratulations This is only the beginning.....
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association