Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk on Condor??

Talk on Condor??

Is there anybody (preferably born this century) who we can talk into giving a VSA talk on Condor?

(I just offered to do a VSA winter talk on Google Earth for Glider Pilots).

Darryl
    Darryl Ramm - ASH-26E - 6DX

Re: Talk on Condor??

While technically I'm not born this century (happy to step aside for any intrepid 1-17 year-olds who want to give a talk on Condor!) I have poked at and flown Condor enough that I'd be up for at least giving a brief talk about it..

Google Earth talk sounds good.

Key

I would much rather listen to a talk on Condor than give a talk on Google Earth. :-)

Actually I am trying to see how we can do both. Condor has huge potential in both primary and cross-country training, for studying other soaring sites, as winter entertainment and a help in attracting a new generation of pilots into soaring.

Both Star and Russel Holtz are interested in presenting about Condor so we could have a fantastic talk, I’m waiting to hear back from VSA folks.

I have always wanted to learn more about Condor. Russel spent a lot of time building a nice simulator based on Condor. I read about Condor in the SSA magazine too. Winter time may be a good time to learn it an stay current. I will be sitting around for a couple months so it would be great to learn about it and perhaps buy a copy of it to practice now and then. Especially since I will be off my feet for a few months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Larry-Oct-2017s.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	4136
    ~ Larry Roberts

A few Condor Links which you might find useful:

Getting Started:http://www.ssa.org/files/member/1002..._Simulator.pdf

Condor Soaring Club: https://www.condor-club.eu
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Pete thanks for sharing the links.

And the home of the Condor software itself is: http://www.condorsoaring.com

One of the things in getting started is working out what Scenery download to use. What are folks here using? I'm not aware of one that includes the local area and Mendocino Range but would love to be wrong.

---

When I was more active in soaring SilentWings (http://www.silentwings.no) was just getting started. And I used that to play around and learn the Truckee and Minden area and to play with and learn SeeYou Mobile (driven by NMEA out) from the simulator-both running on actual PDA/PNA devices driven by a serial or bluetooth output and running the SeeYou Mobile simulator on a computer. I think at time I had a physical PDA, a different PNA and a SeeYou Mobile simulator all being driven at the same time by the output of SilentWings to compare different software while working with the Naviter developers on improvements to SeeYou Mobile. Similar things are possible as well in Condor, and with Condor's much greater popularity it is the software to use. These things are really great for learning how to use soaring computers while safe on the ground.

Frank Paynter wrote up notes on setting up Condor with an external PDA (SeeYou/Oudie in that case). https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/cond...1-11-Oudie.pdf
    If anybody also wants to get the SeeYou Mobile software simulator running with Condor I can help get you started there.

Mmm OK the California scenery is available https://www.condor-club.eu/sceneries/0/?o=0&p=1 (login required) I had looked there before and could not find it.

Got the SeeYou Mobile/Oudie simulator running with Condor both on Windows 10 in VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro, they talk to each other using loopback virtual serial ports. Now I need to find my CH joystick and rudder pedals.

I brought the plane pack 1 so I could fly an ASG29 (and deliberately crash a !@#$% PW5)

Darryl

.. and those California/West Coast sceneries are large, about 12 GB of data in total and slow to download from Condor-club. I can throw them online on Google Drive for anybody who wants them, and will have a copy with me at next VSA meetings so people could copy them directly. Maybe I could leave a copy on the VSA pilot's computer and folks could copy off there (anybody know how much disk space it has).

Darryl,

Re: ....folks could copy off there (anybody know how much disk space it has).

The VSA computer manager/ sys op is the work of the guy with the blue foot - he knows all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ye.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	4137
    Peter Kelly