Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSA Holiday Party and Winter Seminar # 1

VSA Holiday Party and Winter Seminar # 1

Mark your Calendar

VSA Holiday Party and Winter Seminar # 1

Saturday, December 2nd, 2017

It's time to kick off the 2017-2018 Winter Seminar season,
    as always, we'll do that with our annual Holiday Party.
    to be held Saturday, December 2nd, 2017.

VSA Seminar # 1
    2017 Soaring Season Revisited
    Ridge Running In Mifflin, PA
    Reading the Sky
    A Few Soaring Tips and Stories
    featuring Pete Alexander “98”

Also at this event we will hold elections for VSA Officers.
    Ginny Farnsworth is resigning from her position as president
    and Pat Alford will be stepping down as vice president as well.
    We are looking to fill both of these positions.
    Any volunteers?

RSVP as of 12-2-2017 at 10:10

Alexander, Pete & Dee
    Alford, Pat
    Apps, John
    Ashcraft, Luke

Cannon, Walt
    Colacevich, Sergio
    Darke, Jim
    Dewaard, Frans
    Dismukes, Key
    Duncan, Tom & Judy Bean
    Farnsworth, Ginny
    Gaechter, Tony & Nancy
    Galliano, Mario
    Gimmey, Ray & Dorothy
    Guerin, Marianne

Gutierrez, Marty
    Havens, John

Hogben, Andy & Carol
    Indrebo, Rick
    Ireland, Bob
    Jue, Tom
    Kellas, Paul & Gretchen

Kelly, Peter
    Knowles, Cora
    Lert, Peter
    Mahl, Gunard
    Mayes, Rex & Noelle
    McCormick, Jerry
    Mello, Tim & Kerry
    Miller, Mark
    Pillard, Russ & Judi Marley
    Ramm, Darryl
    Roberson, Kerry
    Roberts, Bruce

Roberts, Larry & Diana
    Simpson, Star
    Smith, Jim
    Yanetz, Ramy & Katia

Flying: 9
    Dinner: 48
    Seminar: 47

Last edited by cjknowles; 12-02-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Cora J Knowles
    Secretary
    Valley Soaring Association

Re: VSA Holiday Party and Winter Seminar # 1

A few photos from my talk:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98 Passing HW on Jack's Mtn (Mifflin).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	4129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concordia off wingtip.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	4130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berryessa Ridge.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	4131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ridge Running In Mifflin.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	4132
    Last edited by Pete (98); 11-05-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Good announcement Cora.
    Yes, I plan to attend. And I plan to fly - if it's an OK day. Please add me to the schedule to fly the ASG32, if you would - 1 to 3 PM, thanks.

I would not want to miss a presentation by Pete. He does such a great job on these seminars. I always learn something - every time.

As for the elections, I'd like to make a comment, if I may.

We've had elections lots of times over the past 30 plus years, and nominations rarely result in a person accepting the nominations and running for office.
    On the other hand, nominations always do see to create a seemingly intense feeling of comfortableness or embarrassment to the nominee, as he is then forced to explain why he is not willing to serve.

I strongly suggest we dispense with nominations.

Ginny and Pat have served the VSA in an exemplary manner and I doubt anyone could do the job as well as they did. They have set a high standard, but let's get real.
    It will take some time for a new president and vice-president to fill those vacant shoes.

I encourage members to simply put aside their humility and just say if you are willing to serve.
    You may even want to state what you think you can do for the VSA - go ahead - make campaign promises , if you will!
    The membership is hungry for your leadership, and no one would dare to be critical of your volunteer efforts - you can be sure of that!

If you would be willing to - no, not willing... if you wish to serve as President or Vice president - then just speak up. State it here on the Forum.
    If you are unsure of the duties or qualifications, I direct you to the VSA By-Laws....
    See the By-Laws here...
    http://www.valleysoaring.net/admin/about/by-laws/
    Peter Kelly

Is anyone heading up from near SF who'd be willing to carpool?

Cool Re: VSA Holiday Party and Winter Seminar # 1

Time to RSVP!!

The first of several planned events for this 2017-2018 season is just about upon us!

As usual, a strong group effort in organizing and carrying out the event is evident. A big thanks to Pete Alexander, Pat Alford, Cora Knowles, and Frank Peale in advance for the time and effort put into getting this event organized.

We will be sticking to tradition and having the event catered by La Fortuna - Mexican Buffet.

The suggested contribution for this event is $25.00. This covers the cost of the dinner, the appetizers, the dessert and the beverages and includes a small contribution that goes toward treating our WSC staff, tow pilots, instructors, and the shop entrepreneurs to dinner.

Dinner will be served at 5 PM, and Pete's much anticipated talk will begin at 6 PM.

Although this is the last event I am "officially" involved in organizing, I intend to continue to be an active participant in the additional "Winter Seminar" events this season and beyond.

We already have commitments from speakers, and dinner plans for an additional 3 seminars - Sooo...

Come out and celebrate the holiday season, and kick off the 2018 soaring and social scene at WSC!!

See you there!

PS, rumor has it that Nina is baking her famous cookies for dessert
    And... Cora's famous coffee cake will be available to start the day.

RSVP at this thread or 530-473-5600.
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Good announcement Cora.
    Yes, I plan to attend. And I plan to fly - if it's an OK day. Please add me to the schedule to fly the ASG32, if you would - 1 to 3 PM, thanks.

I would not want to miss a presentation by Pete. He does such a great job on these seminars. I always learn something - every time.

As for the elections, I'd like to make a comment, if I may.

We've had elections lots of times over the past 30 plus years, and nominations rarely result in a person accepting the nominations and running for office.
    On the other hand, nominations always do see to create a seemingly intense feeling of comfortableness or embarrassment to the nominee, as he is then forced to explain why he is not willing to serve.

I strongly suggest we dispense with nominations.

Ginny and Pat have served the VSA in an exemplary manner and I doubt anyone could do the job as well as they did. They have set a high standard, but let's get real.
    It will take some time for a new president and vice-president to fill those vacant shoes.

I encourage members to simply put aside their humility and just say if you are willing to serve.
    You may even want to state what you think you can do for the VSA - go ahead - make campaign promises , if you will!
    The membership is hungry for your leadership, and no one would dare to be critical of your volunteer efforts - you can be sure of that!

If you would be willing to - no, not willing... if you wish to serve as President or Vice president - then just speak up. State it here on the Forum.
    If you are unsure of the duties or qualifications, I direct you to the VSA By-Laws....
    See the By-Laws here...
    http://www.valleysoaring.net/admin/about/by-laws/
    Peter,

I am willing to state up front that I am willing to serve to serve in some capacity. My preference is VP to help with the setups for our events. Folks, there aren't that many events.

My favorite role is being the photographer at our events. This makes it difficult for me to be President.

However, I am willing to help anyone running for President to be their "executive assistant" (small caps at on purpose...). I can help with most of the event work up to the day of the event. I just can't help physically on the day of the events, because I wish to be outside taking pics of our glider pilots.

Williams Soaring has given me a lot. Sure, I pay for the classes. Sure, I pay rent for the sailplanes. Sure, I pay tow charges.

That said, I feel blessed to be with such a committed organization of such wonderful people. They taught me how to fly. This was the greatest gift since learning how to walk.

They gave me encouragement whenever I needed it (...and even when I didn't).

I do want to "give back" to this wonderful organization and its wonderful members. Many of you members have given me your "spiritual" support when I needed...which was quite often :-)

I hope we can get at least 4 people helping run the VSA organization. That would spread the workload comfortably and make it easier for all of us.

Having only two was extremely difficult for Ginny and Pat. Unfortunately, I was committed to a bunch of personal and business stuff and I couldn't help them at that time.

Currently I am working 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. Sooo, my time is a little tight, but I felt I let Ginny, Pat and VSA down before. I wasn't there for them.

Sooo, if I become an officer, as we near the events, I am going to think outside the box: Put VSA first and my day job SECOND !!!

This is a very small price to pay for the wonderful folks at Williams who gave me my wings.

Tom Jue
    Last edited by Thomasj; 11-26-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Looking forward to Pete's talk and visiting with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by admin2 View Post
    Looking forward to Pete's talk and visiting with everyone.
    Who said that?
    Peter Kelly

It looks like it's going to be a great turnout for the VSA Holiday Party and first winter seminar! I can't wait to hear Pete's talk. It's also looking like it might be a good wave day, too! Always a bonus when we get good flying conditions to coincide with our events.

Regarding the election of VSA officers, Jim Smith and I have been talking quite a bit recently and we have decided to throw our names in the hat and run for office for the coming term. I'm willing to run for President and Jim has offered to run for Vice-President. And while I am not going to make any campaign promises, Jim has said that if he is elected he promises an ASG-29 in every hangar! The catch is, you have to buy the hangar.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!

Pat

Just putting the finishing touches on my presentation... I'm looking forward to seeing and talking with everyone.

A few additional photos and still shots from the video in my presentation:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Running North.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	4277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soft Wave Near Charters.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	4278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ridge Running In Mifflin copy.jpg 
Views:	80