Thread: Saturday November 4 -- PASCO Safety Seminar and Banquet -- And cold front coming?

Saturday November 4 -- PASCO Safety Seminar and Banquet -- And cold front coming?

Just a reminder that Saturday November 4 is the PASCO Safety Seminar and Banquet. http://www.pacificsoaring.org

A cold front might visit around the weekend. Would sure be nice to fly on Sunday in some post-frontal fun.
    Darryl Ramm - ASH-26E - 6DX

Re: Saturday November 4 -- PASCO Safety Seminar and Banquet -- And cold front coming?

Thanks for reminding everyone about the Nov. 4th PASCO Safety Seminar and Banquet in Redwood City. http://www.pacificsoaring.org

It looks like a rainy weekend, so good time to come and refresh your pilot information and talk to your fellow pilots.

The Perlan Project folks will be speaking at the Banquet. So far we have about 75-80 attending.
    ~ Larry Roberts

Re: Saturday November 4 -- PASCO Safety Seminar and Banquet -- And cold front coming?

The drive from Vacaville to Redwood City...

EDIT - SEE UPDATE TO THIS POSTING BELOW (MADE FRIDAY NIGHT)

Does anyone want to Car Pool

People could easily meet up in Vacaville. There is a nice big parking lot with free parking for people who car pool right on the Westbound exit of I-80 at the Davis St Exit , Vacaville.
    We could all meet in that parking lot at 7:35 AM, consolidate pilots into fewer cars and depart the lot at 7:45. Some pilots with larger cars might like to drive, or not drive, but the drivers will have gas and toll paid for by the car-pooling pilots. Those with smaller cars can help other members of VSA if they are willing to drive, by having someone ride along with them. I suspect some might like to attend the seminars, but the drive to the bay area is a bit daunting. aka a PIA, but traffic on Saturday am and late afternoon won't be that bad. It is about one hour drive with no traffic and I'd expect to see very few traffic delays on a Saturday morning. Bridge toll is $7 coming back on I-80.

I'll be at that parking lot on Davis St at 7:35, and will depart at 7:45 AM. I will be returning to that lot after the seminars are over... - anyone else?

It would be best to let PASCO know if you do decide to attend the seminar. They have lunch planned and having accurate estimates of the number of bodies attending the day seminars and the lunch will be helpful, as well as courteous.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 11-03-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Sadly saturday looks like the closest thing to a soarable day this weekend.

I plan on sitting in talks and making strong climb vario noises...
    Darryl Ramm - ASH-26E - 6DX

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The drive from Vacaville to Redwood City...

Does anyone want to Car Pool?

People could easily meet up in Vacaville...
    Update Friday evening:
    No one has contacted me about car pooling from Vacaville, so I believe I can safely assume no one is counting on me for a ride.

I'll check my email and I'll check this thread once more at 7 AM tomorrow (before I start my drive to Redwood City) .... just in case someone wants to catch a ride with me.
    Peter Kelly

Post meeting debrief - initial comments:

The drive down and back - very little rain en route and a beautiful day in the bay area. Coming home in lots of traffic, I feel I earned the DDC - Distinguished Driving Cross. 1+45 driving time coming home. It's been 15 years since I have had to do that commute. I don't miss that driving a bit!

As for the participation at the seminars, almost a full house! I estimate there were about 75 in the audience for the well polished, professionally presented briefing - each followed by an active Q & A. Plenty of room for another 25 people if you had wanted to attend. Nice lunch and plentiful beverages.

To describe the seminars and the interaction between everyone, I would simply say WOW!

I can't recall attending a day of seminars that was as well organized, as well planned and as well executed.
    Even comparing it to the AOPA instructor roadshow CFIG clinic that I attended few times back in the 90's, barely compares.

The people running PASCO had it together.
    Those of you that missed it,YOU simply missed out.

It was:

• a chance to learn more about our sport,
    • learn from the academic expertise of others
    • learn from the experience of others
    • learn to fly patterns better
    • learn to fly cross country better
    • learn to operate more safely.

In the morning it was Dan Colton, Key Dismukes and Thomas Johnson (always entertaining and very educational to listen to a lecture by a naval aviator)
    In the afternoon it was a frank and open and friendly discussion by the PASCO board and the pilots present. Followed by Kempton Izuno, John Cochrane, and a host of FBO speakers, (Ben and Danny did a fine presentation on WSC).

I believe some of the seminars may be available online from the PASCO site, however, if you do visit the PASCO site and if you do review the lectures, the very least you should do is fill out the membership form and pay the $25 annual membership fee! You can do it on line. No pressure! Don't be a cheapskate.

You wouldn't get that much useful, practical and important info even if you attended a private ground school with an instructor for three, four or even five hours (at a cost of over ten times the cost of your annual PASCO membership).

There was plenty of discussion about bringing new people into gliding and soaring, the challenges, the possible approaches we might each take, etc, etc, etc.

A big Thank you to the officers of PASCO for doing such a good job.

The link to the PASCO site:

http://www.pacificsoaring.org/index.html

If you can't find the presentations on the PASCO web site, do two things.

• First sign up and become a member of PASCO.
    • Second, now that you are a member, drop a note to Larry Roberts and ask him how to download and/or review the seminar presentations.
    Peter Kelly

Thanks Peter, I agreed completely about the quality of the whole program. I remarked on that to Dan and a few others, what a rich set of sessions.

Peter, you asked if my slides are posted. I sent the link to Dan Colton for posting, but haven't see a note about it, so here at least are my slides:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...VdWRF81UFh4Qk0
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)