Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follow along the wave flight with FNX, BB and YE err TG....

Follow along the wave flight with FNX, BB and YE err TG....

Three gliders launching from Williams Gliderport for a little Mendocino Wave action. FNX is first on tow at 8am and heading around the south of Goat Mountain to connect with wave.

Kempton Izuno and Russ Pillard FNX ASH-25
    Kempton: https://share.garmin.com/KemptonIzuno
    Russ: https://share.garmin.com/RussellPillard

Ramy Yanetz YE ASG29
    https://share.delorme.com/ramyyanetz

John Cochrane ASG29 BB
    https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0vHVGKtothHGluSolgVX0eFPstVrBmS 1D

Darryl Ramm - ASH-26E - 6DX

Re: Follow along the wave flight with FNX, BB and YE err TG....

You can also watch Ramy and John on the SSA Sailplane Tracker http://www.ssa.org/SailplaneTracker/Default.asp Just go to CA/NV > Williams Gliderport.

I need to have a chat with Kemp and Russ about registering their InReach with the SSA tracker... (a reminder to others to do that as well).

Report of 9 knots up behind Goat from Marty who just towed FNX.

FNX has crossed the coastline at around 16,000'. I hope Kemp has lots of photos. Ramy ran south as far as he could and turned north of Valejo and is heading north again. His transponder is out of the glider for repairs so he cannot transit over the top of the SFO Mode-C veil. John has landed back at Williams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COAST.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	4304

Looks like Kemp/Russ and Ramy landed nearly at the same time safely back at WSC.
    Great flights.
    Darryl, thanks for posting the links
    Peter Kelly

Will write up more shortly, but a great exploration flight. Not quite to Arcata, but found some good hotspots that may be repeatable for future flights. The view over the coast looking at Shelter Cove:

Name:	ShelterCove2_sm.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	4306

igc file:
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....htId=659784353
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Great photo of Shelter Cove.
    I almost missed this epic wave. Many thanks to Kempton for talking me into flying on Monday instead of Sunday, and to the WSC folks for the early tows, and to Darryl for help prepping my glider and charging my batteries.
    While I missed the coast this time, I followed the tips from Kempton and went to north of Ruth and back south to Vallejo, with an extra yoyo to Cloverdale and Napa, for a total of 750km. Most of the flight was between 15K to 17.9K.
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....l?dsId=6185733

Ramy

Wave flight 12/4/2017 with Kempton.

Launch 7:55PST
    Land 16:20PST
    8 plus hours

I am sure Kempton will post a very detailed analysis of the flight so I will add some observations and lessons learned (I hope).

Kempton invited me to join him on several soaring flights since I passed my Private/Glider checkride with Rex in 2015. Every flight with Kempton is a 1000K attempt and always very informative and enjoyable!

Lessons learned:

1. How to predict wave more than 3 days in advance using:
    GG weather
    X-C skies
    Panoche RASP
    Windy.com

2. RASP wave locations shown on the VV RASP page should be fairly accurate. Fly the plan, but change the plan as necessary.

3. Use a moving map device that shows track history, so you can return to areas where good lift was found. Kempton used this many times to climb above 17,000MSL before continuing into new areas.

4. After climbing to about 16K downwind of Goat we could see many (all?) valleys west of the Mendos had a low cover of FOG! Here is a photograph of Round Valley early in the day looking north. See Mt. Shasta upper left. It cleared later in the day. Another photograph looking west showing more fog. Willits airport is about 700 vertical feet above the valley floor and clear, so it was our downwind backup early.

Name:	IMG_2072.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	4307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	4308

5. Dress for artic conditions on a wave flight in the winter months. I did OK above the waist, but legs and feet got real cold (REAL COLD) forecast -20F!
    Here are some of the clothing that worked to keep me warm enough.
    Wool balaclava (down side it covers the ears so no perch for the oxygen tubes.)
    Wool baseball cap with ear flaps.
    Medium weight wool long underwear top.
    Medium weight flannel shirt.
    Heavy fleece jacket.
    Heavy fleece gloves.

Here are the items of clothing that were insufficient to keep me from getting cold below the waist.
    Light weight wool long underwear.
    Standard denim trousers.
    Cold weather motorcycle boots .
    Wool low top socks.
    Heavy over socks with battery powered heaters. (Weak or no heat)
    Chemical footwarmer insole. (These were still warm 10 hours later)

Thanks to WSC staff for the early launch! Thanks to Kempton for the opportunity to observe a master at work.

More photographs later……

Just to prove that Kemp & Russ and Ramy's amazing flights were not easy, I posted mine on OLC. Had to bail downwind through massive sink to find the goat wave. Goat to 18k, then off we go up north. I wanted to find the snow mt. wave. Found nothing... ah, here is the sink.. more sink.. more sink.. surely there is lift on the other side... more sink. Eventually over the top of snow it becomes clear that I found the primary sink and must have skirted around the side of the primary lift on the way. Now, am I really going to turn around and go back downwind through all that, or head north to the lee side of black butte to find wave, firmly committing to a downwind escape to lampson if it doesn't work -- 1.2 chance at this point? No sir. Plus more rivers of sink on the way back to williams.

Lessons learned: Be much more prepared. I saw round valley in the fog, and that really dampened my spirits as I didn't have another northern alternate in mind. Definitely get the geo-located RASP working on a portable device. In retrospect the sink was exactly where the RASP said there would be sink and looking at mountains (go to snow the same distance downwind as worked at goat) doesn't work as well. (Ramy showed me his iPhone with rasp lift and current position! I couldn't get that to work in the 5 minutes before launch. )

Now, if only we get another perfect day to try it again...

John Cochrane

The primary was significantly further downwind than typical. I found it mostly downwind of the river beds/roads at the bottom of the ranges. I also found myself few times tempted to penetrate upwind in sink assuming that I drifted too far downwind only to find that the wave was further downwind. One lesson I learned is that if you are heading up wind in sink and getting closer to the mointain without improvement in the sink rate, the wave is most likely downwind. Another way to think of it is to ask yourself is there enough room between you and the top of the mountain to have 3 bars: sink, lift and sink. If the answer is no then you are in the primary sink.
    Tye strongest and longest wave bar I found was from St Helena to Napa, I could yoyo it at 100 knots maintaining 17500 feet. I found occasional 6-8 knots climb in few stoing spots, the rest was mostly 2-4 knots.
    I probably took the longest tow, around 9500 feet, as I didn’t want to release in anything but obvious wave which was right where Kempton said, over the meadow downwind of Goat Peak.

Ramy