Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Dec 16: N wind wave

Sat Dec 16: N wind wave

My new fav charts are Valentin's Coast range 5 day RASPs:
    https://rasp.nfshost.com/norcal-coast/

if for nothing else that they go further out. This Saturday is a N wind wave day:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec13_104_700mb_rasp.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	4332

I'll not be flying but it'll be good for a Goat - Mayacamas - St Helena and return. A good starter wave XC run for those of you who want to try a well characterized, and "local" flight.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Re: Sat Dec 16: N wind wave

Good info Kemp, and thanks for helping me to not lead people astray.
    I supplemented that other post about flying patterns.
    I should not have mentioned Saturday in the adjacent thread, since I had not looked at any charts for it.
    For Saturday, I was using the "as seen on TV" model (ASOTV) - my bad.
    Peter Kelly

Sunday also looking possible. Timing and direction subject to change, but keep an eye out for this one! The 850 looks great. The 700 much more northerly. But 10 degrees more east and it would be great too!

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 1.27.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	4335

I am thinking of trying something different Saturday. Tow to the Buttes and catch the wave there as was done few times in the past. Then to Goat and St Helena, or maybe try for the reverse Sierra wave?

Ramy

This is really interesting. We need some creative tasks! I wonder where we might find reverse sierra wave? We need a sharper downslope than most of the Sierra provides.

John

Kempton's secret task ideas for NE wind are to get to Mt Tam, Santa Cruz, then either big sur and santa barbara, or back via Ed levin, Diablo. I'm not sure quite how many gin and tonics he had had before that idea.

The valleys of the eastern sierra look like they ought to work in N to NW wave. Maybe the sutter buttes plan would work on a day too N to work the usual Goat - Napa line.

The sutter Buttes worked well multiple times in the past. In fact, if I recall correct it was the only place we towed to look for north wind wave before Kempton started flying north wind wave at WSC over a decade ago and discovered that goat and Snow working very well. The Buttes wave is pretty reliable, although slower climb and not always all the way to 18K. Looking at the forecast surface wind I am confident it will work, hopefully it wouldn’t blown out at WSC.
    Rex flew once from the Butte to Diablo to Santa Cruz where he joined me from Byron, and back to land at Byron. Kempton’s plan on downwind wave to big sur and beyond is very realistic, I did the same from Byron, but the upwind leg back to Williams will require an overnighter...
    The primary reverse Sierra wave is probably too close to the crest to be doable, but there maybe tertiary or additional bars over the valley. But Butte to Napa and back is doable.
    I am seriously considering it for Saturday.

Ramy

All those cold feet to capture a silly egg... :-) http://valleysoaring.net/pk/windsock...2007%20v11.pdf
    Darryl Ramm - ASH-26E - 6DX

The wave off the Sutter Buttes can be fickle... I think, it's fickle-ness is caused by the lack of wind gradient (due to the venturi effect of the north end of the valley?) as you get above 10k and the Buttes are not the best triggers which makes the wave very spotty, but workable when I have flown it. I've had the best results of the Buttes along Pass Road south to the gravel pit.

Overhead view of the Sutter Buttes which shows the lump-ness: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...4d-122.1494187

Remember, the WSC RASP also has Williams West and Williams East choices at the top of page which gives a closer look at the wave forecasts.

I have always wanted to try the wave bit that forms E-NE of Chico according the RASP which seems to be more forecasted compared to the Buttes wave which I think is due to the better trigger off the Sierra.

Here's the current forecast for Sunday for wave E-NE of Chico:

Name:	wave E-NE of Chico?.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	4336

Sunday is also looking like a wave day?
    Pete Alexander -- 98