Thread: VSA Race Day # 3 - April 7, 2018

VSA Race Day # 3 - April 7, 2018

VSA Race Day # 3
    Saturday, April 7, 2018

The day will start with the usual pilot’s meeting in the morning,
    with Cora's coffee cake, of course;

Happy Hour @ 5 PM

Dinner plans to be determined at the pilot's meeting that morning.
    (Options include Restaurant, Take Out, or someone to
    volunteer, organize, and facilitate
    an impromptu BBQ dinner at WSC)

Spend the day soaring (weather permitting)
    Before and after flying (or instead of flying if the weather is not so cooperative)
    there will be plenty of good food, great company, and lots of stories.

Don’t forget to RSVP for a tow!

by email to noelle@williamssoaring.com
    or call the Gliderport at 530-473-5600.

Last edited by cjknowles; 03-27-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Cora J Knowles
    Secretary
    Valley Soaring Association

Re: VSA Race Day # 3 - April 7, 2018

RSVP's as of 04/07/18 @ 08:30

Alexander, Pete
    Alford, Pat
    Ashcraft, Luke
    Cochrane, John
    Deane, Peter

Greenhill, David
    Greenhill, Thomas

Hogben, Andy
    Smith, Jim
    Yantz, Ramy

Flying: 10
    Last edited by Noelle Mayes; 04-07-2018 at 08:34 AM.

The weather is starting to come in for Saturday. Right now it looks to me like a gorgeous west wind wave day. Thermal to 6000' at three sisters, then blast up and down the entire downwind side of the mendos. Look at the 700 mb vertical, and look at the classic wind cross section. Yes, clouds over goat and WSC, but it looks like a clear gap at 3 sisters.

John Cochrane BB and BB

Indeed Saturday is looking great for wave. Thanks for the heads up, as the thermal soaring season starts I tend to forget to check for wave. Sun rise start anyone?

Ramy

Sat PM WX update is even better. The trend is drier. The williams and 3 sisters soundings no longer show overcast. Wave remains strong til 5 pm up and down the mendos, with thermal underneath if you want to take a low tow and thermal up or need a save.

Someone think of a good task to avoid enldess yo yo!

John cochrane BB

Saturday does look like it's improving... The only question in my mind is do we get t-storms blowing off the Mendos which put too many wrinkles in the soaring day.

My BIG task thought is: WSC -> Nut Tree (#76) -> Buck Horn (#17).

Or, fly a VSA Race Task: WSC ->Vaca Pond (#112) -> Cal Worthington (#21)

It all depends on what the soaring day brings...
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Interesting day.

11 planes flew today

West wind all day has made for extra focused piloting skills during take off and landings.

Williams North Wave window was opened 15:36 until 16:27 18K-21K two pilots entered.

We might have had a Diamond Altitude earned today.

No one reported a start but most pilots covered some distance today.

http://www.ssa.org/SailplaneTracker/default.asp?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day3.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	4476

Official results to follow

I didn't turn in a task because it was challenging enough early on just keeping the glider in the air. But the wave finally submitted to everyone's attempt to get into it, and wow it was a good one. 100 plus indicated airspeed for sustained periods of time just to keep the glider below 18 K, all the way up to and beyond T16 for several of the pilots flying (I turned around about 5 miles past T16). Congratulations to Thomas for his ~19,000 ft altitude gain and diamond.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	4477

Looking at OLC - I think it might have been about 6,300 meters/ 20,670ft for Thomas. Diamond Badge in any case.

Congratulations to Thomas on Diamond Altitude!

Today (Sunday) Thomas flew with water ballast up towards Eagle Peak, rarely getting much above 6,000 ft on his four hour flight and made it home - finally dumping the water ballast as he crossed overhead the field. Check out that flight on OLC.

Russ P and I flew in the 32 for nearly two hours, and did a couple of engine starts to stay in the air ( total engine time as 7.2 minutes). Never got much over 5,000.,and not for very long when we did get that high.

That flight is also on on OLC.
    Peter Kelly

Another great learning experience... The only hint of wave was in the forecast. Even the ever optimistic Ramy gave up on it! There was no wave look at all. That's all consistent with the soundings which showed moist air below, and very dry air above -- along with huge winds. The main sign was a fohen gap -- big blue hole between the mountains and the first line of cu. The cu were deep though, so the chance of getting high in the boundary layer to punch forward in the wave seemed slim. Pete was the first to get there by getting to cloud base (not easy) and then punching to the back of St John. Hearing him gave me some enthusiasm to explore harder. From cloud base punch forward... wait... there it is. The wave is, as usual further forward in the gap than you think. There is a temptation to want to ridge soar the cu as if that's where the wave is going to be. But actually the wave was much further forward -- as is usual. Right about the middle of the fohen gap. Watch that netto vario! It worked great up and down, though soaring is never easy. I lost it once or twice and had to guess either forward or backward. As in the forecast, it jumps back around M6. An interestign question at T 16 -- move upwind with the mountain, or stay on a NS course? Most of us moved forward, but Ramy did not and still found wave. I was cold so went down to Guinda and then back staying at 13k. That's an iffy proposition. At 12k I fell out -- a little too far back -- and the shear layer between 50 knot winds above and 20 knots in the boundary layer is... a clear sign you lost the wave and punch back up wind! On the way to landing, many secondaries and tertiaries in the valley, also marked by lines of rotor/convergence cu. We could have gone on a long time. Another lesson learned: Bring backup pee bag, and solve the frozen toes problem. I had to quit at 5 hours from both issues.

John Cochrane BB