Thread: VSA Race Day # 5 - Saturday, May 12, 2018

VSA Race Day # 5 - Saturday, May 12, 2018

VSA Race Day # 5
    Saturday, May 12, 2018

Please Note:
    Race Day # 5 was originally set to include the "Doc" Mayes Memorial...
    however, because 3 of the 4 Mayes' will not be there on May 12th,
    this portion of the event has been postponed...

Race Day # 5 will continue as planned Sat., May 12th.

The day will start with the usual pilot’s meeting in the morning,
    with Cora's coffee cake, of course;

Happy Hour @ 5 PM

Dinner plans to be determined at the pilot's meeting that morning.
    (Options include Restaurant, Take Out, or
    someone to volunteer, organize, and facilitate
    an impromptu BBQ dinner at WSC)

Spend the day soaring (weather permitting)
    before and after flying (or instead of flying if the weather is not so cooperative),
    there will be plenty of good food, great company, and lots of stories.

Don’t forget to RSVP for a tow!

by email to noelle@williamssoaring.com
    or call the Gliderport at 530-473-5600.

Hope to see you all there!!

RSVP list as of 5-3-2018 @ 13:00:

Dismukes, Key
    Kelly, Peter

Pilots: 2
    Last edited by cjknowles; 05-03-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    Cora J Knowles
    Secretary
    Valley Soaring Association

Re: VSA Race Day # 5 - Saturday, May 12, 2018

Forecast was for the wind to diminish mid day, but it finally happened a bit later in the afternoon.
    Good crowd showed up to fly, .
    Name:  pilots.PNG
Views: 175
Size:  3.2 KB

Luke was first to launch. It was so good that two pilots went around the horn, going north on the west side of the Sacramento Valley and then coming back home along he east side - well done Luke and John.

Race day tasks were tough to sort out today, but I managed to do task #13 (Tree Farm, Anthony, T-16, back to Tree Farm). Others didn't have such good luck, but everyone seemed to have a good time.

Kerry put me into thermal lift at 5,000 over Bear Valley. I tried going north to Stonyford but came scurring back to Antelope at about 3,000 ft.
    Russ told me where to find a thermal at 3 sisters. I then climbed and joined Russ near Walker at about 8,000, but he experienced Battery failure, so I headed west on my own. Long Valley to Black Butte was a big cloud street and I only stopped to turn once and that was just to make a start in the Gate at Tree Farm.
    Got low just north of Anthony, but then climbed to almost 12,000 before heading to T-16 and then south again.
    Complacency set in passing Alder Springs and I failed to fly the best line as I headed for the finish and was below 5,500, nearly in the pattern at Gravelly Valley runway, but finished ok.

Everyone reported good flights, but i suspect i was the only on to complete one of the authorized tasks.
    My flight record is on OLC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track.PNG 
Views:	64 
Size:	601.8 KB 
ID:	4517
    Peter Kelly

It was indeed a good and interesting day. Assembling in a 20 mph wind doesn't bring out enthusiasm, but Luke spotted a tiny cu popping over the mendos, and with the nice cu visible on the other side of the valley recognized at 11:30 it was time to go. Good job! I didn't get done futzing till 12, and self launched to a booming 8 knot thermal at 3 sisters. (I always love it when you can avoid a goat tow and work in to the mountains). A little convergence line set up to beryessa, so it seemed going downwind to get connected and then an easier transition up to goat would be smart. Part 1 worked, part 2 was not so good. The cloud line was west of the crest and not that high, also a bit torn up. Everyone was having trouble getting connected. Once at cloudbase at goat, the run forward to T 15 was straightforward. There were a few rivers of sink then punch out to the NE side to find a booming thermal. Past T 15 also got a bit weak and lower, with 8000' cloudbases on the buckhorns. I decided to follow Luke around the horn, though clouds looked much nicer on the trinities. But let's do something new. The other side of the valley also had rivers of sink. Here it was clear once again that we fly in a battle of airmasses. The air coming in from the NE was visibly wetter. The nice looking cu were spreading out and distorted by wave. And when you see a little scraggly cu at 7000', with nice cu above at 10,000', that means you're in an airmass that does not connect with the higher cu! I got down to 3000' over the foothills after diverting to an airport, and it took 4 or 5 thermals to finally get up to cloudbase and start running in the nice convergence on the east side of the valley. Once again we faced a decision at Chico -- one fork of clouds went out in to the valley towards home. The other fork went east. At my suggestion we took the direct route home, and found nothing but solid sink under all the clouds. I set my glide computer on Mc 4, and from 3500' over, I ended up back at williams with 1500'! Someday I need to understand these rivers of sink and how to get out of them! All in all a beautiful day, and as they say, another great learning experience. Trace on OLC

It was fun day, but I think not quite as good as we thought it would be. I almost had to land at the giant asphalt rectangle Deer Creek airport north of Chico after after experiencing one of the rivers of sink leaving the higher terrain near Lassen. The attached photo is heading east towards Shasta Lake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1181.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	4518

Congratulations Race Day#5 Winner Peter Kelly in ASW24B "88" Handicap speed of 53.86 MPH

We had a reasonable sized group that flew Saturday and had some great flights, however only one task completed. Well done Peter.

Current Running Totals for the 2018 Race Series

2018 Race Series Totals Doc Oktbrft
    Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8 Day 9 Day 10 Totals 100K 200K 300K
    1st Kelly, Peter 854 dnc 0 866 1000 2720 x
    2nd Gimmey, Ray 1000 1000 0 dnc 0 2000 x x
    3rd Alford, Pat 0 dnc 0 1000 0 1000 x
    4th Hogben, Andy 933 0 0 dnc 0 933 x
    5th Pillard, Russ 0 904 0 0 0 904 x