Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: post frontal Sunday

post frontal Sunday

...a bit far away but maybe a good postfrontal day on Sunday. Panoche RASP shows a good forecast.

Re: post frontal Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by lashcraft View Post
    ...a bit far away but maybe a good postfrontal day on Sunday. Panoche RASP shows a good forecast.
    More like pre-frontal, since post frontal won't occur until Monday.

Time once again for the jet stream to shift. The breakdown of the Pacific high - at least along the northern California coast line.

Just like the birds of summer flying southward, it's time for the cut-off lows to migrate down the coast and move west to east over northern California. This first one is not a deep trof, but it is a major disruption, as compared to what we've been subject to recently.

And thus begins the fall/ winter soaring season.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 09-26-2018 at 04:04 AM.
    Peter Kelly

Peter's observations are always helpful in understanding what the wx is doing. Let's keep watching and hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by key dismukes View Post
    Peter's observations are always helpful in understanding what the wx is doing. Let's keep watching and hoping.
    Maybe Kempton will get back in the loop. He's the best at picking the good days - well ahead of time.

As for me, I'm going off the grid for a few days, so you can't count on me to be helpful.
    As you say "... watching and hoping..." are always good choices.
    Peter Kelly

Will miss your Posts Peter. Decided to go out to w s c today in OJ and coencidently Tom Jue took 88 to Goat not expecting anything much. Towed to 8K and wouldn't you know it 4-6 knots lift at Tree @2pm. Great flight Tom did great, got to 10k + . Unexpected as the RASP was not that encouraging. Looking forward to meeting more folks this Sat for Octoberfess

>>[Philip] ]Will miss your Posts Peter. Decided to go out to w s c today in OJ and coincidently Tom Jue took 88 to Goat not expecting anything much. Towed to 8K and wouldn't you know it 4-6 knots lift at Tree @2pm. Great flight Tom did great, got to 10k + . Unexpected as the RASP was not that encouraging. Looking forward to meeting more folks this Sat for Octoberfess

This was my first solo flight to Goat. I spoke to Ben Mayes before my flight. He encouraged me to take a tow to Goat at a safe altitude and come back towards Tree Farm if I didn't find anything.

After I released at 8,000, I probed and probe and was down to 7,500. I was observing the terrain below to see where I should point my glider. Finally, I came across a thermal. I circled and circled. I kept my speed constant at 50, kept my yaw string straight and kept at it. Just practicing the fundamentals. Eventually, this lifted me up to 10,500.

I was a happy glider pilot at this moment since this marks my first solo thermal in this area.

This was enough for this flight. I also had a friend waiting for me at Williams. Earlier, he took his first glider flight with Ben. He said Ben gave him a most enjoyable and informative flight. He plans to send his kids up to Williams for a flight.

I then soared down Antelope to Three Sisters. From there I increased my speed to burn altitude as I reached Williams, paying attention to my MacCready along the way.

This was also my first experience soaring with a fellow pilot in the same area and communicating by radio. Phillip made this experience enjoyable.

Update - 10/1/2018I finally got a hold of the icg file.

After studying this, I see I should have pointed Philip further to the northwest.

I need to buy See You so I can study the flights of my fellow pilots. Thanks to everyone for your support.

Tom Jue
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Thomasj; 10-01-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: fix pictures

Sunday turned out to be a good day. PK, 7V, 98 5T and others. I released at 3500' and worked my way northward in the hills and then went into the valley over Cal Worthington's strip. I landed there a long time ago and could not remember if it was wide enough for 18 M, but from the air it looks plenty long and wide too (I think Cal Worthington used to land a Learjet there.) I turned back south just a couple of miles from Benton airport near Redding and returned home with a more westerly route over Paskenta, adjacent Alder Springs and then St. John.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	4764
    It was a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by lashcraft View Post
    Sunday turned out to be a good day. PK, 7V, 98 5T and others. I released at 3500' and worked my way northward in the hills and then went into the valley over Cal Worthington's strip. I landed there a long time ago and could not remember if it was wide enough for 18 M, but from the air it looks plenty long and wide too (I think Cal Worthington used to land a Learjet there.) I turned back south just a couple of miles from Benton airport near Redding and returned home with a more westerly route over Paskenta, adjacent Alder Springs and then St. John.

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	4764
    It was a great day!
    Congrats on a good flight Luke. Thanks for posting to OLC so we could all study and learn from your flight. I posted mine as well. I don't know what 98 or 7V did.

Looking at Luke's flight, it seems like it was all within glide of landable areas, so it looked good to me, but I'm not quite that adventurous.

Yes it was a good, but not truly a great day.

Since I use these pages for lessons, I'll say this... For those of you that learn about soaring techniques by reviewing the flight logs that are posted, here are a few highlights:

The soaring is not a competition between pilots, it is a fun activity we do for our own enjoyment. But you never know what you could have done, if you have nothing to compare it to. Check out the flight by 5T as well, another fine demonstration of getting the most out of the day. Congrats to Thomas G.

Comparing my altitude to that of LA:

PK on left, LA on right:

Name:	PK.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	4767 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	4768

We basically had the same altitude profile, but the distance flown by me was less than 40 % of the distance of LA and my speed was much slower (25% slower) as well. I point out these differences so readers can comprehend that it was quite an accomplishment for LA to travel all the way to Redding and home again on such a day.

Personally, I barely got out of glide distance of home.
    Drawing a 30 statute mile circle around Goat, you can see I was nearly within glide all the time, and...., since there were clouds marking lift along the Cortina ridge that would easily provide lift to get me home, I consider this flight to have been within glide of home. I did have the Montgomery Runway in mind when I was nearing St john.

Name:	flt trk 9-30.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	4766

I feel I demonstrated planning ahead, estimating where lift will be next, moving along rather than staying in mediocre lift, moving further from home, but nearly remaining with glide distance of home, and always being within glide distance of a safe place to land.
    Peter Kelly

Nice flights!
    Here is a an interesting challenge task for these post frontal days we have in spring and fall:
    Williams to Byron and back.
    if I can do the reverse 2-3 times per year I am sure it is doable. Just need to tip toe across the delta.

Ramy

Well, Peter didn't mention it in his write up, but I went along on this flight as ballast. I could not resist asking when I saw that inviting empty back seat! Very relaxing, time to take pictures and learning a lot along the way! It had been some years already since I was over Goat and up north with Drew in the Duo.
    Here 2 pictures.

Name:	IMG_4751.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	4769
    Over Indian valley Reservoir on the way to Goat.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4754.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	4770
    Looking back; interesting because of the Cu above the fire north of Williams.
    Frans