Thread: Soaring on Sat. 6/15/19

Soaring on Sat. 6/15/19

ANOTHER beautiful soaring day at Williams.

Two tow planes dragging folks to the cu in the mountains. I was in the third wave, but still very early in the day.

Exactly above the Tree farm TP, as requested, (thank you Noelle for the precise flying) I released directly over head and headed for my first thermal - about 4 miles to the west. Off tow at tree farm at 11:58, AM. Five other gliders were already well to the north.

It took about 4 thermals to get to T-15, and I was flying the ASW-24, not the ASG-32..
    Today was probably my best time ever... as measuring from ... release time from off tow to directly over head T-15. I was on a mission. Key was off tow 10 or 15 minutes ahead of me.

Coming home from T-15, I hardly made a turn, until I was too low to make it to St John, but eventually climbed there. It was only 2:25 or so and I planned to go to the magnificent cu over Snow etc, but, about then I heard the news that a Key landed at Benton, so I dashed home to start a ground retrieve. But, he decided to do an aero retrieve, so all's well that ends well.

My file and my flight tracks ... one with the altitude legend and one with the ground speed legend.

(4:56 PM - Key just landed.. a good aero retrieve from Benton/ Redding back to WSC....)

OOPS... EDIT..... KEY DID NOT JUST LAND... THERE WAS A ROUND OF APPLAUSE OUTSIDE THE OFFICE LED BY PAT ALFORD. i TOOK A QUICK GLANCE THROUGH THE BLINDS AT THE GLIDER, BUT IT WAS TOO QUICK. THAT WAS RAMY ROLLING TO A STOP IN HIS 29. ... NOT KEY IN HIS 27. SEE NEXT POSTING... pk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pk-88-6-15-19.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	5230

Name:	pk-88-6-15-19-gs.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	5231
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 06-15-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Soaring on Sat. 6/15/19

Ramy was applauded, with Pat Alford leading the cheers as Ramy rolled to a stop at WSC today at 4:57.

According to OLC the scoring began at 10:08 AM and ended at 4:57 PM for a 445 mile flight.

Congratulations Ramy on a good flight! correction... ... on a Great flight!

Screen copy from OLC:

Final Glide started at 3:54 PM - an hour before landing!

Name:	RAMY.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	5233
    Peter Kelly

Thanks Peter. The actual OLC distance was 530km, not 445 miles.
    Tomorrow looks similar, with higher bases to the north, and similar OD potential. I am planning to fly again.

Ramy

Launched with Danny at 10:45a, for a 4 hour round trip to the N end of the Trinity Alps and back. A great soaring day with plenty of spectacular cloud structures. Ramy was first to launch, and we were 4 minutes behind. On tow, you can see from the clouds to the N that it was going to blow up later in the day:

Name:	Cu to the N on tow sm.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	5236

Released and headed to St. John where a cu was already forming. After a climb at Sheet Iron, we pair flew with Ramy with no circling until into the Trinities. Clearly a strong shear setup with clouds like these:

Name:	Jun15 shear cu Anthony sm.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	5237

After turning near Thompson Peak, we headed back. By now the OD was going in several spots, including this thunder head, with no body (from Hay Peak looking south):

Name:	Yolla head from Hay Peak sm.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	5238

Ran out to Hull, then on the way back in, saw the K21 had landed out:

Name:	K21 at Ostrich Farm sm.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	5239

The actual clouds v. forecast: RASP wins, Skysight was too conservative, but I don’t know if that is a consistent statement. Ramy feels that SkySight is accurate out in the Great Basin.

Ramy made it back (barely) from a long glide starting around Chester. From this 6:30p sat pic, note the broad shading that pretty much killed any solar heating in the Lassen/Chester area:

Name:	GOES W Jun15 630p crop.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	418.5 KB 
ID:	5235

All in all, a great mental health day! OLC file:
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7298561
    Last edited by Kempton; 06-19-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)