Thread: soaring saturday 31 aug?

soaring saturday 31 aug?

Anyone thinking of flying saturday. Rasp looks ok, though not spectacular.
    Key

Re: soaring saturday 31 aug?

I looked at the fcst for Saturday on Friday morning, but it didn't look too good, that is it looked OK, but not great.

Looking at the night before RASP (this is Friday night after 8 PM). It is now looking very good.
    I am planning on a 12 noon tow to 6,000 ft at Tree farm, then...

• One thermal up to 8,000 then cruise to Hay Peak, via
    • St John
    • Alder Springs
    • M-3
    • Yola Peak
    • T-16
    • Hay Peak turn around ... using the occasional thermal.

An easy day with a quick run. I plan to land NLT 4 PM due to other plans.
    Four hours is more than enough time - if things go right.

I captured some of the RASP products for training purposes - so that others may see how easy it is to predict and plan such a flight.
    Peter Kelly

Impressive pressure patterns for today - along the crest of the Mendos. Study windy.com and see the winds surface to 10,000. RASP displays it visually very clearly.

New flight plan - launch close to 12 noon.
    Goat to T-16 via east side of Mendo Ridge.
    Land NLT 4 PM.

When predicting flight conditions, one must visualize the air mass - look at 25 miles either side of the proposed flight path. See sounding nearby (where available on RASP).
    See winds on windy.com.
    We need the thermals to collect at the tops of the ridges. Need the wind to channel the surface air.
    Peter Kelly

Had a wonderful flight today. About four hours, and it started out exactly as planned, but after 20 minutes.... I realized all of my planning was for naught.
    Launched about 11:45. Adam provided us with a very nice tow directly to tree farm, released over the TP at 7,000 ft.
    Made 7 or 8 circles, climbing in 5 knots to 8,500. Cruised past St John over to Sheet Iron Mtn.... and that was it. Never made it further north.
    Key-PS said he made to Alder Springs.
    He also turned Bessa Towers, so he may have a good report for us.
    Peter Kelly

Saturday was an interesting day. Several pilots launched. RASP indicated reasonable conditions for a flight to T16. Convergence line northbound was farther east than usual, so we planned to head to Sj Johns, Aldersprings, M3, M6 and east side of Yollo. Did not turn out that way.

Peter launched at 1200 in the 32 and reported good lift off tow at Goat, heading north. I launched at 1225 and while on tow heard Peter say he was at Sheet Iron at 7K, returning, so i knew something was up. Got off tow at tree farm in good lift to 8500 and glided to St. John's where i got back to 8500. Thinking "what could be wrong with this" i headed toward Aldersprings. Found no lift along the way, turned back at the ridge west of Alder and just barely squeaked back by working lift at ridge top east of Sheet iron facing the sun and the wind. Flew to the west side of St. J and was flying figure 8's, trying to get up when i say a hang glider lazily circling just south of of me, so flew circles outside of him to get back up. Then flew north again with same result (slow learner).

By now we could see a cloud forming high over goat, so several of us (PK, JH et al) flew there, got up, and followed nice convergence line south to Bessa Tower, exactly as RASP predicted. Never got out of glide home. Why the forecast was accurate south bound and not north i have no idea. I flew back north as far as Goat south to see how far the clouds went north (around 1530) but they still seemed to stop around St. John, and i was tired by this time, nearly four hours airborne, and so went home. Interesting day.
    Attached Images Attached Images