Thread: Saturday 3/7

Saturday 3/7

Saturday looks like a nice post frontal valley day once the rain stops late morning. Bases above 5K.
    I am thinking of heading this way.

Ramy

Re: Saturday 3/7

I'm also planning on flying.
    Pete Alexander -- 98

BR-Bruce Roberts
    98-Pete Alexander
    16-David Greenhill
    DB-Pat Alford
    7-Ben Hiroshima
    FH-Thomas Greenhill
    4B-Alex Neigher
    LA-Luke Ashcraft
    TG-Ramy Yantz
    UV-Philip Lee
    OJ-Arthur Korn
    2T-Peter Deane
    Last edited by Noelle Mayes; 03-07-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Wow, look at that list of 12, launch the fleet! Wish I were there....
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Debrief time anybody? I think pretty much everybody waited for some drizzle and high clouds to pass before launching, and we all got out quickly thanks to nearby lift. I got up to Willows without much effort, but there was only rain North of there, so I turned around and started coming back. However, conditions got worse there just at that time and I couldn't find positive lift anymore and ended up landing. Tow back was great and plenty of lift to be had nearer to Williams if you could happen into it.

-Philip Lee (UV)

Didn't follow the conditions on Saturday, but tomorrow looks like a reasonable valley day from Williams.
    Peter Kelly

Hi Philip

Well it was certainly a dynamic day. As you saw I decided to go big or go home and launched first (and about 45 mins too early) Towed north to Maxwell - long glide to clouds south of Willows which were weak, eventually found a 4kn climb but bases only 4k.. Nice looking streets toward Chico but lowering bases and no lift under the promising clouds until I reached my turnaround point for Orland. Orland was in a just-rained-on hole and I landed uneventfully on a nice runway. Yes - too close to the rain too soon after the passage..While on the ground of course, the sun came out, puddles dried and birds started soaring....

Nick appeared in the pawnee about 40mins later (awesome!) and we towed south toward Willows to resume soaring. Most of the clouds were dead, heading south into a good headwind, eventually finding a climb at 3Sisters. Decided to head out toward Goat, and found a nice convergence line, low but all the way up to St Johns on the west side running above cloud base in the Mendocino style.

On the return from Sheet Iron, cloud line had moved and the convergence had disappeared, giving a long glide out toward the Cortina ridge with intent to head toward Rumsey - but rapidly changing conditions caused a diversion back toward Williams where I found a fresh convergence area and climbed to cloudbase in 4kn with 7, and 4B coming in below - then out to the west side of Capay valley hoping to get across to the Beryessa ridge. No good path across , headed west to pump up again and met up with 16. We climbed under a new convergence line and ran north to Willows but getting very x-c in the process as we hit a broad down cycle - Between us we found reasonable climb and I came home via a peek at Colusa.

The day was very dynamic, shifty, constantly changing, very easy to land out. Lift was quite strong on occasion, but often in narrow cores that were extremely easy to miss - Just shifting a circle a tad could double your climb rate or lose it completely. One symptom of an unstable atmosphere - saw some *very* narrow thermal cores (dust, vapor) that were snaking upward with almost no horizontal expansion from the ground- looking like narrow twisting drinking straws. Impossible to find close up. Look great from a distance.

Local convergences seemed to appear and disappear very quickly- still dont really have a good handle on that one, except perhaps that in unstable atmospheres, any down movement is amplified as much as any up-movement.

Anyhow - just a few thoughts about the day - I thought it was very interesting. OLC distance for the day was about 360km including the little (ahem) interruption at Orland...

Peter (2T)