Thread: Naming convention for Double traces for OGN and Spot/Inreach on Glideport.aero.....

Naming convention for Double traces for OGN and Spot/Inreach on Glideport.aero.....

All,

If we follow Philip's excellent process for registering our gliders Flarm (OGN) and Spot/Inreach on Glideport we get 2 traces per flight on Glideport..(SSA tracker) -one for OGN flarm and one for personal tracker.

What I did to distinguish these two myself was add an 'f' suffix to my contest numbers on the OGN trace so for example now my personal spot registers as '2T' and my OGN trace registers as '2Tf'. f for flarm - geddit?

I also registered 5T's OGN trace as 5Tf. Using this approach for most 2 character contest#'s will work nicely - not so great for 3 character #'s as glideport only allows 3 characters in the contest # label...

Anyhow - wanted to share how I chose to differentiate my 2 traces if anyone wants to do the same thing. If someone thinks of a better way I'm all ears - for now this works for me.

Also, comparing my Spot and OGN traces, you can see that poor reception on OGN seems to correlate with being behind or obscured by large amounts of cloud (trip up to St John above cloud base in the Mendocino style)

Regards

Peter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	5617

Re: Naming convention for Double traces for OGN and Spot/Inreach on Glideport.aero...

Peter, I assume this requires creating two accounts on glideport. With only one glideport account as I have, I did not see an option to show a different call sign.
    BTW I now have 3 traces since I also use igcdroid app.
    each trace is showing as TG.
    To summarize the pros and cons of each trace:
    1- Inreach/Spot - no reception issue but update every 10 minutes so not as detailed, and may be delayed.
    2- flarm/OGN - real time and continuously update but has reception issue when there is no line of sight or too far so trace may be much shorter than the actual flight
    3- igcdroid - very detailed like flarm, and provide full detailed trace, but can have long pause when there is no cell reception.

Ramy

Re: Naming convention for Double traces for OGN and Spot/Inreach on Glideport.aero...

Hi Ramy

Once your OGN trace is set up in Glideport.aero, you can actually edit the name of it on the glideport display page for the day

I originally had spot and flarm traces set up both for 2T, but on glideport the OGN trace label was not 2T as it should have been presumably because it had the same label as the Spot label. (gave it its own name with a ? character..)

So I'm wondering what went wrong with my labels - they should all come across as 2T of yours do right??

I do have just one account on glideport, and one OGN account.

With flarm details added to glideport per philips instructions, you *can* change (say) 2T to 2Tf on your OGN database account.

I have now done this for both 5Tf and 2Tf and I'm expecting/hoping that future traces will not have a naming conflict between SPOT and Flarm traces on Glideport.aero, since Glideport takes the link to the OGN from the flarmID (modeS code) only, ....

Though I still dont understand why your 3 accounts all have the same label and mine dont.....

Cheers for now

Peter

Thanks Peter, I didn’t realize that glideport is using the call sign from OGN, I thought it was using the call sign entered in glideport.
    I now changed my call sign on OGN to TGf.
    I also change my IGCDroid call sign to TGd (d for droid, couldn’t come up with a better letter).
    so hopefully next time I’ll be tracked as:
    TG - my Inreach (no change)
    TGf - my powerflarm via OGN
    TGd - my IGCDroid app running on my Samsung Galaxy (if I remember to start it)

Stay tuned for tomorrow...

Ramy