Thread: Soaring Thursday 5/21

Soaring Thursday 5/21

Looking at RASP (as of Tue noontime) for two days from now, Thursday, it may be an interesting day to fly. I've been on the schedule since Sunday to fly OJ - the ASW24.

West wind over the Mendos, East wind hitting the eastern slopes of the Mendos, instability is higher than usual over WSC, Three Sisters, etc. from 1300 to 1500, with occasional cirrus.

The RASP charts are too changeable to bother to copy and display images here - at this point (Tue AM).

Looking ahead to the end of May, we might be in for some good days.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Soaring Thursday 5/21

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    ... Thursday, it may be an interesting day to fly.
    West wind over the Mendos, East wind hitting the eastern slopes of the Mendos, instability is higher than usual over WSC, Three Sisters, etc. from 1300 to 1500, with occasional cirrus.
    The RASP says it all!

Fcst didn't hardly change! More than "interesting", it's my kind of day. A super fun day to fly a 15 meter ship. The 23's will do well today also. I love tight thermals, especially if they are high and marked with cu. Sky above 20,000 might be a bit milky due to the moisture (as seen on the soundings), but the instability is what we dream about.. classic! I'm looking forward to recording some good thermal climbs, similar to what Leon recorded on his last flight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sounding-3 sis at 2 pm.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	5662 Worth noting that the freezing level is about 10,000 ft, so it's good to dress warmly.
    Peter Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The RASP says it all!

Fcst didn't hardly change! .....

Well! Just as the RASP had forecasted for - even on Monday night and Tuesday morning (which I posted above - two days ahead of time) - it was a good day. In fact, it was such a good day that I took TWO Flights. (first one was a really dumb move, but second flight was nice).
    Both are posted to OLC.

I'll share a couple of photos.
    First one is me sitting under the wing ( a self-portrait) while on the ground at Cooks. That's what happens when you forget about what the forecast said, and release it a low altitude thermal. Releasing at 2,000 ft is not a good idea on a day like this.

Second photo shows Nick in 7Y pulling me towards the clouds for my second flight of the day.

Name:	oon the ground at Cooks.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	5663

Name:	tow 2-YEAH  for Nick.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	5664

Thank you Noelle and Rex for getting permission from the owner, to allow the aero retrieve, and big thank you to Nick for an excellent tow.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 05-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Only a few flights had been posted to OLC when I first posted a "Congrats to Jim Smith - E2 for being credited with 393 km"

Top tow distances (in kilimeters) for the day were:
    - Pete 98 = 463
    - Jim E2 = 393

BUT, the significant flight of the day was done by Peter D - 2T. He went around the north end of the Central Valley. This kind of flying can only by well seasoned, experienced pilots, and he made the most of the day. This kind of flying shows why Peter made it to the rank of being a US National Champion.

Check out the seven flights flown from WSC that were posted to OLC for this day. Here is the link....

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/daily.html?sc=11&st=olc&rt=olc&c=US&sp=2020&df=202 0-05-21

You are not allowed to download the flights from OLC or see as much detail if you do not create a log in, but you may see the overview of the info by selecting the Info button on the right column for any given flight...

Name:  OLC-info.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  16.6 KB

It would be educational/ enlightening for newer pilots to look at these seven flight traces and compare them to the RASP charts for the day.

I have a few RASP charts to share which demonstrate the importance of know how to read the RSP charts.

Here are the seven flights posted to OLC:

Name:	1-2T-Peter D.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	5677 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Pete-98-463km.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	5678 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-E2-Jim Smith-393 km.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	5679 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-OJ-Peter K km.JPG 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	5680 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-50-Michael.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	5681 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-5T-Evan.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	5682 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-BM-ASK21.JPG 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	5683
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 05-25-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Other than Peter-2T you will see the fights were flown on the same tracks that the forecast predicted there would be lift and clouds.
    You will see (when you look carefully at the RASP charts):

• the convergence line is very evident
    • the cu are forecasted to be over the convergence lines
    • the wind will be supporting the convergence lines
    • etc.

I'll post a few of the RASP charts and a few pictures of the clouds Speaking of photos, I tried to take a few snapshots and movies of others, but they didn't turnout at all - Sorry Dennis.

This post is meant for training purposes of "learning to read the RASP".

More to follow.
    Peter Kelly