Thread: Mountain Cam Status

Mountain Cam Status

The Mountain Cam has done its job for almost 6 years, but has been buggy for the last few months.

Thanks to Noelle, Nick, and Ben for checking everything out. Special thanks to Nick who made the attic crawl in the Williams heat to check the connections out. Based on their help and reports I knew it was time for a visit.

I checked everything out on Tuesday June 2, to see if it could be revived - no luck. It has served us well.
    Here I am on the roof, taking down the webcam to test indoors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainCamTesting-sml.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	5714

Found that the webcam was REALLY buggy - not only that, it would not power up.

Name:	webcam-buggy-sml2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	5716

Ordered a new webcam and connecting cables on Tuesday.

So, if you really like the Mountain Webcam it would be great if each pilot donated $10 or $20 to VSA so we can pay for the equipment.

Watch this space for updates. The new webcam is the same model as the flight line webcam.

Larry
    ~ Larry Roberts

Re: Mountain Cam Status

Thank you Larry! A perfect use for VSA funds. I rely on that mountain cam, as I think most everyone else....
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Huge THANK YOU to Larry Roberts
    for keeping the WiFi, Forum, Webcams, Schedule
    and WSC website running smoothly for

OVER A DECADE!!!

THANKS Larry!

I have been going through Mountain Camera withdrawal...
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Thank you Larry!!

As the VSA Chief of Staff, my sidekick Jim and I, have discussed and believe that the VSA should buy the new Mountain Cam with the VSA general fund. The VSA is here to help improve your soaring experience and a large part of that is staying engaged with the airport with the View from my roofline. VSA is always looking for ways to help improve the experience and we believe this would be a great use of funds the Mountain Cam gets nearly 2000 views a month and upgrading the camera would add to the viewing experience. We are still working on the Cue button so that members can place clouds on the hills at exactly 11:30 each day, but I believe this feature is still a little ways out.

Thank you again Larry for all the work you have done behind the scene to make this system work for so long!!

While I like the idea of collecting donations for the camera we at VSA again feel that your dues are donation enough. However if you would like to make a donation to the VSA, they are always welcome and we are always looking at new projects to improve the experience. Like moving the weather station on top of the big hanger for more accurate wind information!!

The best way to support the VSA is by simply paying the yearly dues so we can maintain some operating capital for these nice projects around the facility. VSA has played a part in making Williams our home away from home and we would like to continue to make small improvements to add to your experience.

If you are unsure of your current membership status please contact our secretary Teddy and he can help you.

Additionally VSA is always looking for input on how to better your experience. So if there is anything you would like to see happening at Williams please contact JIM SMITH and he would love to take in all of your suggestions.

Thank you again for your continued support of the VSA
    Your VSA President
    Ben Mayes

So to be clear, if I want to donate to VSA, is there a link or donate button? Or send a check to ??? I can't recall the Treasurer, is it Frank Peale? Address? Just looking to surface the info to make it as easy as possible to donate....
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

The best way to donate would be to send a check to VSA. You can mail it to Williams Soaring Center and we will make sure it gets where it needs to go. Or next time you are out you can leave your donation with the front office staff at Williams Soaring Center.

Thank you

Ben Mayes

Just an Update Larry has informed me that there are closer to 28,000 webcam hits in may!!

Larry & Rex ~ Thanks for putting up the new and improved webcam yesterday:

Name:	New webcam view.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	5723
    Pete Alexander -- 98

WOW, super resolution and clarity. Altho a bit blue, I think this will show cu better.

Noelle or whom ever maintains the webcam page, the link to the St. John cam is a great addition. It really is pointed at Sheet Iron, to the NW, not Snow....

Thanks Larry, Noelle and Rex, this is a huge upgrade. I'll donate on my next visit....
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)