Thread: Sun Nov 15 wave?

Sun Nov 15 wave?

Sunday is now looking like a good potential wave day. Winds will be light at williams and up to 6k, but wind at the goat Mt top are 30, and get stronger from there. There does not seem to be extensive cloud. The 3 sisters sounding suggests cloud at the top of the cu/bottom of wave, but then blue wave above. There is no tendency for upper level cloud to move in and threaten closing up. The up/down only shows 3 knots max, but hey that's better than 3 knots down, and often one can find spots better than the forecast. All in all it looks to me like a nice beginner wave day -- comfortable on takeoff/landing, a marked cloud layer to find the wave, no worries on top. Kempton won't go 1000 km, but heck it's fun to fly. Other opinions?

Re: Sun Nov 15 wave?

Looks good to me. I've requested a tow.

I also see a fine mellow wave day coming tomorrow (Sunday) with quite a bit less moisture compared to Friday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wave on Nov 15?.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	5964

http://www.huckbone.com/wscrasp.html

Most likely starting with a release downwind of the 3 Sisters or Walker Ridge area about 4k. We will see...

I have signed up for a tow...
    Pete Alexander -- 98

It turned in to a fine mellow wave day, just as forecast by Pete. The wave started around 4,000' in secondaries E of three sisters. I fell out and restarted the motor; Pete did the right thing and thermaled up from a low save over the cortina ridge. It was never that strong -- 2 knots was good, 1 more common. But that means the sink not so bad either, so pushing forward over the top of Lennies three times to the Bear valley primary behind walker ridge lost only 500 to 1000 feet each time. Wave right over the bear valley turn point was the most reliable. But wind was quite light below 10,000', so it took some patience in 1-2 knot lift. Above 10,000' the wind picked up a lot, like from 17-25 up to 40-50, and so did the wave. From 15,000' I was able to push forward to the goat wave primary at tree farms. (Hint, if the sink is really awful, that means the wave will be good when you get there!) I went north, but missed the snow mt. wave and got stuck around alder springs. Lots of zero flying over the foehn gap, but no up, and clouds getting thicker and thicker so the escape downwind was getting cut off. Back S then up to goat again, do the same thing but faster and more decisively this time. Clouds spread out and wave got weaker around 3 pm. All together a lovely day, and not very cold either.

I really enjoy these mellow wave days where it’s not cold and the winds on the ground are not crazy gusty… It was 5 F around 16,000’ and fairly warm since there was not any cirrus clouds cutting off the sun and heat. I had a very similar experience as John, once I got established in the wave.

I decided to tow to the area east of 3 Sisters between the canal and the peak and work my way up wind to the wave in Bear Valley. Hopping a couple wave gaps along the way. It started off as expected, releasing at 4,200’ and climbing in quasi-smooth wave up to 4,500’, but that did not last… You could tell by the clouds that the wave was not fully organized. The wave disappeared as I passed through 4,500’ which I thought was not big deal. All I needed to do was move up wind a little bit, but that did not help. I did find some lovely sink… I had to make a choice to retreat to Williams soon, or commit to Antelope Airport if things did not work out. I decided to commit to Antelope Airport if needed, since the clouds were showing good wave signs with a couple options in the area.

What signs, you ask? Those little cycling wispy-bits on the windward side of the Lennie like looking clouds. You need to make sure you are chasing the live (i.e. moving/cycling) wispy-bits.

After falling out at Point #1, I slid on to the Cortina Ridge just south of 3 Sisters, since it had a cumulus/lennie looking cloud running all of the way down to the Rumsey Gap with wispy-bits marking the rotor/thermal on the upwind edge. At a minimum, I was thinking this would a good place to “park” until the wave synced up. It turned out, those bits where working as needed and I got into the wave fairly quickly. Wahooo… However, my little wave gap collapsed full of moisture as the wind died down when I was passing through 4,500'. Oh bummer…

Next place to go was the Point #3, which was the next closest location with good cycling wispy-bits which I had been watching for a while just in case. Things were a little wonky as the wave was pulsing and getting sorted out. The climb was broken and a little bit sporty, but it was working as expected requiring pretty steep turns to stay in it. Finally, I got into the silky smooth wave as I passed through 6,000'. Wahooooo! One of my favorite feelings in soaring… That silky smooth transition into wave with the vario singing that happy climbing sound… As I reached 6,500’, I transitioned up wind to Point #4 into the Bear Valley wave; up to 16,400’ I went before exploring north.

This photo shows 4 distinct wave areas; wispy bits marking the thermal/rotor opportunities; looking north:

Name:	west wind wave.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	5966

My path was 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4.

Finally, in the wave in the Bear Valley right over the Bear Valley turn point with the Walker Ridge as the wave trigger:

Name:	Bear Valley Wave.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	5967

Pete Alexander -- 98

For additional information about wave flying, I would recommend: The Soaring Engine Volume 2 by G Dale.

It's available at Wings & Wheels: https://wingsandwheels.com/the-soaring-engine-v2.html
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Peter, Thanks for the pic with the numbers flagging the points of your path. These were very helpful.

Great concise writeup Pete, I like the labeling. And in that same pic, you can see the waviness way off to the north too.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Thanks Thomasj and Kemp!

Kemp: I got up to St. John Mtn, but the wave feel apart from there north. I think, it was due to the wind sliding around to the NW.

It was fun, interesting, and challenging (at times) day.
    Pete Alexander -- 98