Thread: Thanksgiving Day wave

Thanksgiving Day wave

A near ideal offshore wave day, only complicated by a holiday

But I need to document it here as it doesn't get much better. During the day, reasonable ground winds, wind direction 020 on average, and best of all, wind strength is <45 kts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press700.curr.1000lst.d2 Nov 26.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	5989

Amazing....
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Re: Thanksgiving Day wave

This year I am thankful for your ever-watchful eyes Kempton.... I'll be in soCal (without glider), but it is really nice to be able to collect forecasts and see how they pan out IRL.

Thanks Alex! And for anyone flying out of Santa Ynez, there may be a light north wind Friday, so perhaps some ridge flying.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Not this time, but keep the warnings coming! Happy thanksgiving everyone -- add to our list of things to be thankful for, the wonders of motorless flight, and the Mayes family who make it easy for us to enjoy.

Well said Alex and John.

The heads up on the Wave, and all good wx forecasts for soaring are always appreciated - thanks Kempton.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

I put today's winds into Condor2, using the Byron Landscape.
    I attempted two flight out of Gravelly Valley (starting 5,000 ft AGL over the runway) , but couldn't get anywhere on either flight.

I tried the same set up on a flight out of Lampson - crossed the lake ok, Heading for the lift on the ridge NW of High valley, but didn't get into wave. I made it back to Lampson for a safe landing. Here I am overhead on a crosswind entering a left downwind....

Name:	crosswind to left downwind.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	5995

So, I planned another launch from Lampson (or overhead Lampson at 5,000 AGL).
    I tweaked the winds a bit and put in:

• Wind 060/15
    • Inversion at 3,000
    • Upper Level Wave:

- 54 kts (no option allowed on direction)
    - Totally unstable air
    - 80 % moisture.

Rather than go across Clear Lake again, this time I went north between the west shore of Clear Lake and the ridge on the East side of Ukiah.

Name:	north out of Lampson.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	5996

I was down to 5,000 MSL and was planning to divert to Ukiah for a safe landing - which was just over the hill to the west of my position, when I contacted wave- I got up to over 13,000 ok. Good call Kempton.

See my track in see you.

Name:	see you track 11-26.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	5990 the igc file... lampson wave 1pm.igc

As an added FYI graphic, I enlarged and cropped the RASP for 20z for 850 MB and identified the location of Lampson, Gravelly and high Valley on it. That Dark contour line west of Lampson running north corresponds to the ridge line on the east side of the Ukiah Valley/ west shore line of clear lake

Name:	850 task area.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	545.8 KB 
ID:	5994

Couple of screen captures

Heading 060 towards Blk Butte. passing 7,400 MSl in over 3.5 kts

Name:	ss-3.5 kts at 7500.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	5992

Mt Knocti in the distance to the right of the nose, Goat Ridge to left of center, climbing through 13,800 in one knot of lift.

Name:	ss-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	5993
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 11-26-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Peter, Thanks for your narrative and screen shoots for your Thanksgiving wave day flight.

I had a one hour flight in the WSC Condor simulator but was unable to use the tablet to navigate. How do you navigate when on a long X-C using Condor?

Great to see the soaring weather didn't go to waste

Until now, I hadn't been as interested in Condor, but after your post Peter, I re-read your earlier Condor threads. To turn on the weather, esp. for occasional but important events like wave, that's impressive. I need to look at this more....
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Yes Kemp, it seems Condor is worth the study time. After that posting of the PASCO report last week (which reported the landing incidents inside the Tahoe Basin), I put in winds from the west to see I i could fly from Truckee down to Lake Tahoe Airport via the east shore line. I gave myself plenty of wind from the west (270/27), but during the flight the wind was less than 15 kts from the west all the way along the east shore as I traveled. Once over Incline Village, I was "trapped" in the basin. I flew past Spooner Summit, down Hwy 50, intentionally buzzed the ski slopes at heavenly and then set up a leisurely approach into KLTV. Winds were not a factor on landing due to the terrain blocking the strong west winds I had pre-loaded.

Russ, glad to see you appreciated my "flight report".
    As for selecting a specific point to travel to, while in flight... it does not seem possible.

What I do is... I plan the flight before launch, selecting the points that will be on my "task", but I'm only putting them in for reference and to assist in the navigation display..

• First point is the Takeoff airport
    • Next navigation point is the start
    • Subsequent points selected will be connected with a blue line on the map (the pda) which you zoom in and out of with the computer key board (or input pad, like Leon has posted). See Leon's posting....https://www.williamssoaring.com/news...8&d=1599508421

Condor is a great training tool for various reasons, with study of the weather being a major one.
    For pilots who haven't grasped the ability to read the wx, Condor helps them learn the effects of various meteorological effects on soaring conditions.
    Set in the winds, relative humidity, inversion height, temps and stability. See the effects. Be it thermals or wave, the program takes into consideration the local terrain. Surface winds are shadowed by up wind terrain, etc.. Thermals behave accordingly, etc.. And Wave seems to be realistic, but the lenticulars could be depicted a bit better.

FYI on the flight inside the Tahoe Basin I had these setting (but I never saw over 15 kts during the flight):

WEATHER
    Wind dir: 270
    Wind speed: 27 kts
    Temperature: 79 F
    Dew point: 37 F
    Thermal strength: Very strong
    with no wave inputs

A very important consideration is the possibility of reinforcing bad habits and bad decision making - as I mentioned in my earlier postings. In that regard Condor could be a negative from a flying safety perspective. Just because I put in a wind from the west and I was able to simulate a flight along the east shore does not make that a flight like that a viable option, or one that should be considered as a reasonable idea.

I did a [Condor] flight out of Blue Canyon to Truckee. I had lots of thermals, cloud base at 14,000 no wave, sfc wind 270/15. (I can provide the setting if you want to see them).

Name:	release over blue canyon.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	5997
    Over Blue Canyon, starting at 10,100 ft MSL, Immigrant Gap ahead, Lake Spaulding at 11 o'clock on North side of I-80, Donner summit on horizon - right of the nose. Scattered cu. Very realistic looking lift.

As you all know, flight may begin from overhead any airport in the program, but the max altitude you can ever begin with is 5,000 ft AGL overhead the airport selected as the launch point.

It was exciting to fly eastward over I-80, but the nearest and the first cu was over Cisco area (west of Kingvale), and I didn't get any climbs before completing that long glide over totally unlandable terrain. It was a silly flight plan, but as expected, the cu over Kingvale took me straight up to an easy glide to Truckee. The point is, the thermals that were present on that flight were in keeping with what I have seen in real life. But, the risk factor on such a flight over totally unlandable terrain is not feasible.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 11-27-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Peter Kelly