Thread: Flying on Sunday 1/24/20

Flying on Sunday 1/24/20

We're now a month past the winter solstice, and soaring days are a'com'n. I want to be ready! Following along while Kemp and Jim's demo of some great flying is certainly motivational. And Ramy, with all the right avionics, really demos the effects of proper preparation. Kemp and Ramy seem to have mastered the wave in this area.

My last flight was in December, and I've been looking for day to get back into the air. I think tomorrow is a good day to do it.

I watch the weather fcst on TV and that allows me to keep in touch with the atmosphere.

Periodically, I pull up Windy.com on my computer and see what's coming.

We all need to practice, it we are to be safe pilots. Getting back into the air safely is important to all of us. Nothing beats being in the ship, feeling the wind beneath the wings, do some stalls and falls, precise turns, paying attention to changes in pitch and yaw, practicing a precise pattern, landing, etc.

I need to jump at this opportunity.

The RASP for tomorrow? .... not much to look at. Clouds, spotty sunshine, minimal rain, minimal wind... yeah it all looks good to me.

Looking at the sounding for WSC at 1300 PST - I see cloud base gets down to about 5,000 but that's about as bad as it gets. Wind from the east.
    It all looks good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sounding1.curr.1300lst.d2.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	6063

Although it says 14:00 on the left margin, we see the valid time of that fcst is for 1300 PST (2100Z).
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 01-23-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Flying on Sunday 1/24/20

Today (sat) looks to me like the only plausible day. East of the ridgeline has plausible thermals and some spotty cu. Sunday seems to have thick mid level clouds. See the skew T (always my first stop)

Quote Originally Posted by John Cochrane View Post
    Today (sat) looks to me like the only plausible day. East of the ridgeline has plausible thermals and some spotty cu. Sunday seems to have thick mid level clouds. See the skew T (always my first stop)
    John, I've finished my post, and I did include the sounding - on my final edit. I agree the skew T is a good first stop!

As for a "plausible day" , that depends on your objectives. For me, i just need to practice the stick and rudder skills, I have few hopes of riding any thermals.

Not much to talk about on the wx fcst these days.
    Peter Kelly

No need to go through the why's and where fors of the RASP for today, but the evidence is right there in front of us - Thanks Larry Roberts for the excellent view....

The web cam shows us what we are missing... (south of bear vly area?)see the cu on the left... and this was at 11:17 only a few minutes ago. It might well look really nice in an hour or so.

Name:	cu near ridges -11 AM sat.PNG 
Views:	135 
Size:	507.6 KB 
ID:	6064
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 01-25-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Yesterday (Friday) also worked quite well for January. Cloudbase ~2.5k in the valley for the better part of the afternoon. It was a great day to get the glider in the air, and hang onto cloudbase for dear life

The RASP for tomorrow? .... not much to look at. Clouds, spotty sunshine, minimal rain, minimal wind... yeah it all looks good to me.

Looking at the sounding for WSC at 1300 PST - I see cloud base gets down to about 5,000 but that's about as bad as it gets. Wind from the east.
    It all looks good.

Gone are the days when you just looked out the window and said: "Yeah, looks good, think I will go flying" Looking back that was all I did on my 1000K flight in Parowan. I do envy all of the tools available for this generation of pilots. Have fun today.

gkemp

Gary, good to hear from you. was that 1000 k in your pegasus-NK?
    do you happen to still have the sounding/SkewT? and the igc record file?

I think I still have some of my old igc files back from the days you introduced Jim and me to GPS... using that HP device.

As John said, the skewT is still the primary tool... at least for local flights.
    Peter Kelly

Debrief:

It was fantastic. Not the least disappointed. Tow pilot Lucien was in good form.

Good preflight, talking with Pablo before my first launch about Condor and about various flying techniques (top rudder in turns, wing drop on takeoffs, etc), then taking three tows ... they were all good things. Maybe it's because I haven't been in the AWS 24 in a while, but it sure seemed like I was traveling really fast both before takeoff and after landing. On the takeoffs it was like millisecond to go from zero to 60 in that ship.

On the drive home I listened to the Ed Kilbourne Album entitled "Cloudbase".
    If you've never had the opportunity to listen to it, you should make the effort to seek it out. If you've ever done any contests flying you can easily identify with several of these songs.

• CHANGES IN ALTITUDES -
    • THE NEW GLIDER BLUES -
    • ONE MORE CLIMB -
    • THE $65 LS-4 -
    • DOCTOR'S ORDERS -
    • RIDGE RUNNER -
    • FROM A DISTANCE -
    • THE LAST ONE UP -
    • THE HIGHER YOU CLIMB -
    • CLOUDBASE

Name:	cd cover.PNG 
Views:	101 
Size:	512.9 KB 
ID:	6066 Music for the soaring community - Ed has been a sailplane pilot for 30 years and this album, recorded in 1994, is a tribute to his love of flying.

https://ed-kilbourne.square.site/pro...rue&cst=custom

It says you need to order three items, but at the price of less that $8 each, you can probably just order three and give the other two to your friends.
    Peter Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Gary, good to hear from you. was that 1000 k in your pegasus-NK?
    do you happen to still have the sounding/SkewT? and the igc record file?

I think I still have some of my old igc files back from the days you introduced Jim and me to GPS... using that HP device.

As John said, the skewT is still the primary tool... at least for local flights.
    I don't have anything from that flight, those were the days we used a barograph and cameras, might have that trace if I look around. 25 years ago and yes it was in the Standard Pegasus - NK. we had been getting a weather forecast from Doug in Reno by phone but on this day we took off at 10:20 and had no forecast, we just thought that it looked good so declared the 1000K, and yes we had to photograph the declaration held by my OO. No one on the field thought we were going to make it. Art Clark was in the Open Jantar and was about 30 minutes behind me as we landed at 7:20. Great fun and a great flight. You could have flown a barn door and gotten it I think. Our last thermal at arouind 6:30 or so took us to 17,999. And yes the Ipag from HP was what we used for a visual screen for gps back then.

gkemp NK
    Last edited by Garykemp; 01-25-2021 at 04:38 AM. Reason: additional comment

Quote Originally Posted by Garykemp View Post
    I don't have anything from that flight, those were the days we used a barograph and cameras, might have that trace if I look around. 25 years ago and yes it was in the Standard Pegasus - NK. we had been getting a weather forecast from Doug in Reno by phone but on this day we took off at 10:20 and had no forecast, we just thought that it looked good so declared the 1000K, and yes we had to photograph the declaration held by my OO. No one on the field thought we were going to make it. Art Clark was in the Open Jantar and was about 30 minutes behind me as we landed at 7:20. Great fun and a great flight. You could have flown a barn door and gotten it I think. Our last thermal at around 6:30 or so took us to 17,999. And yes the Ipag from HP was what we used for a visual screen for gps back then.
    As you said...
    ...the days we used a barograph and cameras,...
    Newer pilots are apt to ask... what are those things? (barographs, and cameras? - with film?)
    For the benefit of others, here is jpg of a turn point (TP) photo I stole from your book Gary ...

Name:	nk tp photo.PNG 
Views:	81 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	6068

Yes, we used to snap photos of each TP. Can you imagine? Getting the film to the drug store and getting it developed each night, and then reviewed by the contest director before the meeting the next day was always a tricky thing.

Well Gary, for your 1,000 k flight you did use the secret weapon we all relied upon back in those days - before Dr Jack revolutionized the soaring forecast. You had Doug Armstrong to help you out...

... a weather forecast from Doug in Reno by phone ...
    We all relied on Doug. As you document in your book...

Name:	nk-reg 11.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	6069
    I volunteered to do the daily weather briefing at a Regional Contest at Crazy Creek in the 90's. Each morning I would phone Doug on my flip phone, and he would provide details I would not be able to gather from FAA weather sources.

For those interested in Gary's book see it on Amazon- or at least the cover --- https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51WGYw9hKgL.jpg

Those interested can sort it out from there.

It's interesting to note that the daily briefing at the Minden Wave Camps for 25 years by Doug Armstrong were certainly infamous. His methodologies and his daily soaring forecast became a regular product published by the Reno weather office, and the daily soaring briefing weather sheets continued to be emailed to Air Sailing, Truckee, and Minden, long after he retired from the job at Reno.
    Peter Kelly