Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sat 13 soaring

Re: Sat 13 soaring

We (PK and YE) plan to give it go also.
    Interesting patterns on the various charts.
    Today we will see why Dr Jack devised the B/S ratio chart.

Of the RASP charts, my favorite remains the 850 mb VV, and least favorite is the B/S chart....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press850.curr.1200lst.d2.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	6087

Name:	bsratio.curr.1200lst.d2.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	6088
    Peter Kelly

Post flight debrief

It was a challenging day, but we have a lot of pilots who met the challenge. It was a good day to fly.

Lots of highly qualified pilots here at WSC. Good show!

Larry Roberts (YE) and I had an excellent flight of 2.6 hours.
    Towed to the area of Walker Ridge, patiently worked the lift and once above 7,000 moved east and climbed in clear air wave.
    Since our ship was without Oxygen, we restricted our flight to 12,500 and below. We had a good cruise up to Alder Springs and came home again.

Thank you Nick for getting us out of the hangar and on to the runway, and thank you Lucien for another great tow.

Our flight track from See You... (also on OLC)...

Name:	fly pk-ye-2-13-21.PNG 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	6089
    Peter Kelly

A very interesting day! No huge kilometers but lots of interesting lessons. One, it is possible to fly in wave with a 300 wind! I turned off the engine approaching 3 sisters, as it's more fun to thermal into the wave, and I have an insurance policy in case it doesn't work. Thermaling the rotory bits is very interesting. It takes a lot of patience. You get surges, turn, and come back to nothing but sink. Keep moving forward to new wispies as they form. The difference between getting wave or not is often very small, a few hundred feet, so it takes patience to max out. I wasn't getting wave in the bear valley, so moved west to the area just over the north end of the walker reservoir. The upwind mountain there has a nice downslope aligned with the wind. And indeed there is the wave. At about 1300, I moved up to tree farm. It was initially benign, but then 4, 5, 6, 10 knots sink. You have to keep courage up and know that if it's producing this much sink there must be good lift on the other side. Indeed tree farm worked well. The wind switched more westerly as I went up, so the wave finally got quite strong around 17k. I moved north, stopping too long in some weak bits here and there. Eventually I went past Alder springs as the cu there looked like it had a slope on the upwind side. Again, 1 knot turned very slowly into 4 knots by 17k feet. I went on to Yolla peak, which produced the aforementioned river of sink but this time no lift. Well, it's getting late so let's go home. On the way back I found more wave right at the edge of the mountains, just where the forecast said. That might have been an interesting strategy rather than diving for ridges that seemed to be aligned to the wind. Wave seemed to line up with the mountains giving long stretches of benign air. But wow, bucking a 50 mph headwind is slow! Looking at Luke's trace, there is a case to be made that if you want kilometers staying low in the thermals with a lighter wind is a good way to go upwind! Lesson 2: make sure you pee tube has a T in it that you can blow out. When it freezes... well, let's not get in to that story.

A wonderful interesting and fun day!

I really like to try to thermal into the wave for the challenge and adventure which seemed like a doable idea with the convergence building in the middle of the valley 5 - 8 miles west of Williams all morning with all of the active wispy-bits under the cus in the valley, I popped off tow about 3,400' on my way to 3 Sisters just short of the canal. The air had a good feeling, but took me a while to get connected and into the rhythm of lift. The hope was to work the convergence line up into the wave on the upwind sunny west side of the convergence. I could get to 7+k, but the wind was too northerly for the wave to work. After 3 tires getting to the wave, I climbed back up to 7k and headed west to north end of Bear Valley where the cu's were; climbing back up. Working a little farther west on the north end of Walker Ridge into the silky smooth air I go to 17,600'.

Wisy-bits in valley:

Name:	wispy bits.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	6090

The overhead view:

Name:	Overhead View.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	596.6 KB 
ID:	6091

I posted my flight on OLC: https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8256491
    Pete Alexander -- 98

I didn't fly, just got there to work on FNX for a few days. What a great turnout, wonderful to see

Name:	End of day.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	6096
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)