Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat 13 soaring

Sat 13 soaring

Saturday is starting to look really interesting. Thermal, cu, convergence, wave. Maybe some OD, north, but nothing big in the skew-Ts.

Re: Sat 13 soaring

Was just noticing this as well! As of now, I'm planning on flying Sat. Looks like NW winds will be a bit brisk

Saturday has been looking interesting for a few days... It's looking like a classic post frontal day with the NW wind building in behind the frontal passage earlier in the morning.

I'm planning on flying.
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Big changes in the forecast from AM to PM run. More cloud, less wind. No point in super-analyzing now, just keep eyes out of the cockpit.

It is looking good to me. Only downside I can see is NWS forecast of chance of rain before 10 AM followed by mostly sunny, so it might take some time for clearing.

The 3 sisters skew T looks really nice this morning. The periods of OD in last night's run are gone. Now it's just a classic inverted V. And some wave on top.

I've been monitoring the wx closely since the solstice.
    Washington's Birthday (on Feb 22) will make it two months since then.
    Almost akin to a week before Halloween on the calendar, if you look at the calendar on a pre-solstice basis. Use that as a point of perspective.

Wednesday night the pressure patterns formed a nice void in atmosphere in the upper Sacto Vly, and, although it is shifty and quite variable, that fcst pattern is continuing to hold true. I made my reservation on Wednesday night, for flying on Saturday. Although I still plan to fly, I chose not to start a post about possible flying because it continues to look like Saturday (tomorrow) will be a tough day to fly.

It is now Friday morning and the 24 hour RASP helps me to see what might happen tomorrow.

It is not a good thermal day, and, it is not even a good wave day, but it looks like it will be a good day to fly, albeit a bit challenging.

I'm doing all kinds of analysis of the RASP, concluding I'll take a tow to a point 4 miles NW of Charters, release at 4 or 5,000. Wander around clouds, mostly near Sites, and between Montgomery and Antelope, trying to keep within glide distance of WSC. - But the RASP may change by tomorrow AM.

Interesting wx charts if you compare them closely. Surface wind vs winds aloft - WSC vs 3 Sisters - and the lower winds at Goat.
    It's more of a day about hydraulics than it is about convection. My fav for the day is the 850 mb vert velocity.

There will undoubtedly be a few good thermals if you are in the right spot at the right time.
    Peter Kelly

I'm more optimistic. The 2 pm skew T for 3 sisters, for example, looks really nice. Inverted V to cloudbase at 8000', winds 15-20 no more. Yes, it will be up and down the foothills, not the crest or the valley except following whatever convergence lines set up over the valley (and dissipate!) Also wave AM, declining as the wind switches N in the PM.

Yes, it does look better than this morning's version. Maybe tomorrow's version will look even better, but the other air mass factors continue to be troubling.

Fly safe.
    Peter Kelly

AM, looks a little more humid, more chance of od/spreadout. Still, I'm headed up to give it a go