Thread: Soaring Sunday, March 7, 2021

Soaring Sunday, March 7, 2021

After a break in the launches, Nick pushed us out of the hangar, on to the runway, and Noelle was right there ready to pull us aloft.

Headed for Walker, but the lift was not quite there yet, so we continued over to the south end of Goat.
    Off tow at 7,000 and simply followed the clouds. It was a no-brainer, as long as we stayed on or over the goat/ Mendos high ground... see graphic below and the trace on OLC.

Simply three hours of fun flying, with a steady 70 kt glide from Goat to Rumsey. Practiced slow flight at various flap setting on final glide to WSC (note the wiggles in our final glide track from Rumsey) , as we listened to G3 doing an outstanding job of perform duties as an impromptu air traffic controller. ....sequencing the four gliders all coming in to land at the same time.

Nice job Ginny!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fly-3-7-21 - T.J..PNG 
Views:	222 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	6138
    Peter Kelly

Re: Soaring Sunday, March 7, 2021

I see OLC has a new display ( if you log in first, you too can see it). Kinda nice, but different. Gives the reader a better perspective of where we flew and the altitudes above the terrain as well.

The flight - as displayed on OLC...

Name:	OLC display-3-7-21 b.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	6142
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 03-08-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    Peter Kelly

It turned in to a really nice day after all. I went up to Yolla peak and back, mostly with 2T and 16. Key lessons: don't fly yesterday's weather! We were all a bit spooked by how weak it had been, and the clouds didn't look great from the ground. I think we took off at least a half hour too late if not more. Plus lessons: when the tops are 8300 at goat, 9300 in the Yolla bowl, the lift may be good and the convergence working, but the lift band is very small. 500 feet below cloudbase is really low. So stopping to tank up in even less than ideal thermals is a good thing to do! My flight is on OLC

Very key points from John about the day. I made the run up to Yolo Peak and back. At M3 the convergence was running up to Eagle Peak around to Yolo Peak without turning which was pretty cool before running back south. The snow on the peaks looked beautiful!

Here's a photo from just north of Snow Mtn south bound with Goat Mtn in the distance:

Name:	Snow Mtn South Bound.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	6143

My flight is also on OLC.
    Pete Alexander -- 98

After being out-of-the-saddle since Sept 2019, I had a chance to fly with Peter Kelly last Sunday.

We were just out to get back into the groove, me more so than him. We were in the skies for almost three hours soaring from cloud to cloud along our route.

There were quite a few gliders out there. We had to keep our eyes open at all times. When one came within our little area, Peter just distance us so we would have more room to maneuver safely. It was a good reminder to practice good techniques on how to spot other vessels in the sky.

I was glad to be out to get in some stick & rudder work. When you fly with Peter, you have to fly with precision with coordinated stick & rudder movement. Peter always has one eye on the yaw string. This is always one of the joys for me when i get a chance to fly in a duo. The feedback from the more experienced pilot, whether it be Peter, Ginny or a Mike Green was what I enjoyed most.

I didn't do too much in pics or video. I really wanted to just take this one step at a time. I will say that Peter took us out further west than I ever had been, even with Mike Green. He showed me a huge green area that was good for a land-out if I couldn't get back over the mountains back to Williams. I think Peter said my good friend Hal Chouinard landed out there one time. I knew Hal back in the early 1970's before he ever took up soaring.

I attached the altitude graph. You can see we hit about 8 thermos. Peter's analysis to fly this day was right on. All the short spurts were me :-). I only had one long one. Peter's a good sport and just laughs it off.

My other pic are the gorgeous clouds out on this day. I always enjoy soaring this time of the year because the clouds add such beauty to the skies we soar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload-2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	6149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap003699 Soaring 2021.03.07 Peter and Tom IGC.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	6148  
    Last edited by Thomasj; 03-13-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Peter >>I see OLC has a new display ( if you log in first, you too can see it). Kinda nice, but different. Gives the reader a better perspective of where we flew and the altitudes above the terrain as well.
    This one with the terrain is insightful. Thanks.