Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HELP: New Forum Needed - in progress

Re: HELP: New Forum Needed - DECISION TIME

Larry,
    RE:
    1-We will have a couple forums split by content
    Such as: Soaring Discussion, Condor Club, Weather Help (how to read the weather), Instrument Help? Not sure what else. Keep the choices short with major sections. INPUT and SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

These 4 topics sound good as they are meaty enough to see regular activity, but methinks anything more may be too splintered. May I ask that adding any more Forums be publicized ahead of time for some discussion?

Thanks for keeping us posted and for the MAJOR work on upgrading us!
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Kempton,

The forum sections ARE NOT CAST IN STONE. This was more of a suggestion.

1. Soaring Discussion (normal day to day soaring talk)
    2. Condor Club (support growing interest in Condor App)
    3. Weather Help? (how to read the weather - we have some great weather guru's here, but maybe not reports for coming soaring weather)
    4. Instrument Help? (most fly with ClearNav, but may have questions, maybe just add links to the ClearNav site)

Maybe we only need a couple. INPUT NEEDED

Thanks.
    ~ Larry Roberts

I personally think those topics are good, but so far, I'm the only one to comment 8^). If no one else does, I'd just do those. Anyone else have an opinion they'd like to share?
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Quote Originally Posted by Kempton View Post
    I personally think those topics are good, but so far, I'm the only one to comment 8^). If no one else does, I'd just do those. Anyone else have an opinion they'd like to share?

As one who has posted to this forum many times, I have always appreciated having it available as a means to share our interest in soaring. Thank you to Larry for the many, many hours of work to keep it running and for looking for a suitable replacement. And thanks to Kempton for the many high quality posts and for trying to arrive at a suitable fix to our problem.

It seems that readers (or at least, me) would like to have two attributes of a forum:
    - a place to see comments from others about what has happened and/or what is forecast to happen - not much different than the old bulletin board systems of the 1990's, and
    - a place to see stories and reports of flights, accomplishments, recognitions of achievements, etc..

The "new" system should provide these attributes:
    - easy to post to
    - simple to access and to read i.e. not having to select a group or category in order to see the latest post. Maybe each and every posting could have a "read more..." feature after the first two or three lines of text?
    - the author or every posting is clearly identified to all readers
    - a membership database that allows members to know about each other
    - easy log on
    - free of advertising
    - accommodate sharing of files and images
    - easy formatting and composing while "off line", and allow for a single upload of articles - be they post flight reports or lessons to be learned, or items of interest about our community membership.
    - allow for a single upload of a good soaring or event forecast - one that others may quote simply in part and respond to with their own follow up postings.

The "new" system should have an effective cross reference and look up feature -- to achieve this it seems:
    - each posting would need to be serialized or uniquely identified in a database
    - each item in the data base could be searched - for specific content... maybe a "google it" feature of all preceding postings.

"pie in the sky"... Undoubtedly a system that would allow for all of the above is currently unattainable, but I am continually amazed at the speed at which technology is advancing these days.

Thanks again to all that are hard at work trying to establish a replacement to our forum.
    Peter Kelly

Don't want Kempton all alone

#3 and #4 sound more like knowledge base (KB) articles / archive, rather than a live conversations/discussions. Building a well curated KB may be best served with documents (PDF, Doc, etc), which could include best practice guides, old seminars presentations, tasks files, etc. Or would that be more of a VSA website page, rather than on WSC's site? Did Ben say he is creating a new VSA site?

Larry - Similar to what you and I were discussing recently regarding Clearnav's current site vs a site of concise (PDF) downloads.

David,

Yes, I agree with the PDF / Article reference method. I was hoping for input. Ben is planning an new VSA site.

I have a test account on both vBulletin and Xenforo.

I have crashed vBulletin 4 times just while modifying the sale, colors, and logo. I am loosing my confidence in the vBulletin cloud if this is what I can expect while trying to configure it. I originally thought it was just caused by uploading a Logo that was larger than the header was expecting. It crashed while just trying to change colors. The XenForo demo site works nice and fast.

Both vendors have very similar features. Xenforo does not offer a "cloud based" system.

I am trying to keep the new forum site simple and reliable, but trying to figure out what is best for easy reading and posting. Most import is easy to maintain.
    Last edited by Larry Roberts; 05-12-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    ~ Larry Roberts