Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP: New Forum Needed

Exclamation HELP: New Forum Needed

We are seeking input for n​ew forum software or system.

We all use various types software systems (apps) to post messages, images, etc., on a lot of various places so now you can have input on our next steps.

As of December 2017, this version was “End Of Life”. That means that we no longer receive updates or security fixes. Currently using vBulletin ver. 4.2.5.

We have 10 years of posts on this forum.

PROJECT STEPS

• Get input & volunteers.
    • Determine requirements & features.
    • Select a product.
    • Create a migration plan.
    • Install and covert to new forum

Please submit your comments and suggestions.
    Thanks for those who submitted suggestions so far.
    We would like to migrate the current 10+ years if data to the new forum, if feasible.

PLEASE add links to your suggestions like Johnathan Quist. It really helps when doing the due diligence review.

XENFORO link to YouTube overview (sales presention). 15 minutes long, but covers the product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEwqgEn4ZLI

GROUPS.IO this is a newer, cleaner Yahoo Groups. https://groups.io/ It is an email group.

Larry L Roberts
    Last edited by admin; 03-17-2021 at 06:11 PM. Reason: updates
    ~ Fly safe, fly far, your friendly Williams Today Administrator

Exclamation HELP: New Forum Needed

Hi Larry,

Did you consider groups.io or google groups? Many soaring clubs are using them successfully. My preference is groups.io. I administer few of them and find them easy to use and administer.

Ramy

Re: HELP: New Forum Needed

Two large active forums that I use occasionally, https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/ and https://www.rav4world.com/forums/ both use XenForo forum software. https://xenforo.com/ It seems full-featured and robust, the license is $160 for the first year, looks like $55 a year after that...

Here's a Wikipedia article comparing some of the different forum software packages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...forum_software

My vote goes to groups.io too.
    I subscribed to 6 groups here, they mostly migrated there from yahoo, and have only good experience so far.

Vadim

Larry, and anyone else involved in this decision and process,

If I could ask that PLENTY of lead time is given so we don't lose the content on this group. Perhaps I'm the only one who frequently searches the entire board for old charts and flights to give context for upcoming forecasts. At the least, I'll scrape and download, but that of course is a last resort. Please keep us informed.... Kemp
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Thanks for those who submitted suggestions and requirements so far.

Submitting your requirements are important. Thanks Kempton.

We would like to migrate the current 10+ years 0f data to the new forum, if feasible. Do others agree?

PLEASE add links to your suggestions like Johnathan Quist. It really helps when doing the due diligence research.

Keep the responses coming.

Larry L Roberts
    Last edited by admin; 03-17-2021 at 06:06 PM.

When using mailing lists like groups.io it is easy to migrate from other popular mailing lists like yahoo and google and include all the archive.
    However I am not sure if there is a path for migrating the archive from a forum such as this one, to groups.io.
    We may need to keep this forum as an archive. But I guess this will defeat the purpose.

Ramy

You can buy vBulletin Connect 5 for $249. I would be surprised if they cannot migrate their own data forward.
    - Philip Lee (UV)

Thanks for all who responded. Only 1 person asked to keep the old data from this current forum. Several forum companies claim to have tools to migrate from vBulletin 4 to their software.

Two major ones are 1) vBulletin with an upgrade to vBulletin 5 and 2) Zenforo version 2, the founders of XenForo were the original vBulletin software engineers that moved when the company was sold.

Other vendors that say that we can migrate are: 3) Simple Machines Forum - used for the ClearNav forum, and 4)tapatalk.com , which could be free, but it is not hosted on WSC ISP servers.

I posted to the forum asking for input with a single vendor as the solution, and the responses so far have not led me to select a different vendor. The cost runs from about 250 plus yearly maintenance to keep the software up to date, and free. SMF is free, with add-ons costing a little, and Tapatalk, who inundates the experience with popup ads.

One major advantage of out sourcing is that the site and software are maintained, the only work is managing members and spammers.

More to come.

Thanks Larry, for the update. As the single requestor for retention of the current site data, my goal is to have reference images, wx charts and flight context to improve future wx forecasts and be more accurate on what to expect. That benefits me mostly, and others who fly on the forecast good day. Worst case, and we choose not to retain the forum data, I can go thru and scrape the relevant days thread to personal storage. This would be a bit laborious, I'm guessing apx 200 threads, so could be done over a calendar month's worth of spare time. So while I'd like not to do that, OTOH, i'd much prefer a migration where we could keep the current contents, images and format intact. Am I correct in assuming that one choice for that is the $250+annual fee of the vBulletin Connect 5? And when are we looking for a cutover date? Is there an EoL data coming up for the current version? Thanks in advance.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)