Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wave+Thermal?: Fri-Sat March 19-20

Re: Wave+Thermal?: Fri-Sat March 19-20

My reading: today will be much better right around williams. If you want to go local soaring off a 2000' or less tow, today is the day! However, clouds will be lower over the mountains and the southern sector. Really the good spot is in the valley for 20 miles or so around williams. It will be a great day to explore things we usually can't do, like thermal to sutter buttes or even cross the valley. Saturday is higher over the mountains, and the chance of making it across the delta and back looks greater. But there is much less lift right around williams and in the valley. The main difference I see is that today the wind is west, tomorrow it comes north straight down the valley. Something's weird with the williams rasp showing a square of no lift around yolla peak that other models don't show. I think that's a model glitch to be ignored. But we aren't going there anyway. With work schedule, I plan to fly saturday. -BB

From someone who is crossing the delta regularity (as recent as a week ago) today’s forecast is not encouraging for that, bases are low until later in the afternoon so short window for crossing. And it oooks even lower south of Byron. I am planning to fly tomorrow instead.
    today indeed look great for crossing the valley from Williams to the Sierra foothills. This is what I would do today if I flew from Williams. Opportunity to do something different.

Ramy

Rain and Ramp Space

For the first time we can remember, Willliams Soaring Center is cutting off the signup for additional privates Saturday March 20th.

If your name is not already on the schedule to fly with us, unfortunately we are not taking any additional signups for private owners to fly.

We can put you on a wait list in case scheduled pilots cancel.

Sunday there are still openings.

Thanks for understanding.

sadly cu bases just got a lot lower, more spreadout in the thursday evening forecast update. On the plus side, more cu in the valley. I'm still flying, soaring better than spending the day watching the webcam. Just different task ideas.

Good flying. posted to olc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fly-3-20-21.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	915.3 KB 
ID:	6155
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Peter Kelly

Friday morning the wave was back in the forecast, so Evan Simmons and I gave it a go:

Name:	IMG_3308.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	6169

Contacting the Snow wave in amidst the clouds. Not strong, but got us to 15.1k then worked north:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IiH...ew?usp=sharing

not much else so decided to land, take a break, then go for Flight #2 thermals. Released just E of the field, worked toward Capay, but cu were weak. A North/South convergence line had set up to the east, just this side of the Sac approach. Went over there and had some good climbs going south, then into the west edge of the Sac airspace:

Name:	IMG_3315.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	6170
    Upon turning around, the convergence had disappeared, and we got down to 1,500ft over Bob's Air Service just N of Knight's Landing, grinding around for 25 minutes thinking we'd land for sure, but not giving up yet. It is however tough to maintain optimism when the sky around you looks so poor 😬. The sun came back out and the lift picked up a few minutes after that, good enough to get us up for final glide back to WSC. Whew, a great workout and experience for Evan.

OLC Flight 1
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8275124

and Flight 2
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8275160
    Last edited by Kempton; 03-23-2021 at 01:37 PM.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Saturday as many note was forecast to be spectacular and it was, esp. for this time of year. I flew with Melissa on first XC tow at 10:45a, released on Goat foothills (5,800 ft bases), two climbs up to Letz Lake base at 6,500 ft, then from there to nearly Yolla with no circling:

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	6204

Clouds rapidly expanding so by the time we got just S of Yolla, we were under the highest cloud at 8800, then dove down to circle around the N side of Yolla, then return on the E side of the Mendos. A great first intro XC for her.

Next up was Russ who, when asked about where we should go, half jokingly said "Mt Diablo", to which I agreed. We launch at 2:15p aiming to get to Vacaville and re-evaluate then. Now this is very late in the day to try crossing as Luke notes as we head there. Saw a couple paragliders on the Berryessa ridge. Later that day I find that Evan Cohen, a previous co-pilot and super PG pilot, flew a 130km triangle around Berryessa that day! Now at Vacaville, we see 3 streets across the Delta (look beyond the big cloud shadow in the foreground), so we commit:

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	6205

At the windmills we note they are mostly idle, or turning very slowly. A low over Antioch at 2,100ft but the clouds look great and we get back up quickly:

Name:	IMG_5035.jpg 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	6206

Then, the target! I've only been here once before in thermals, with Gunard in like 2010. But then we only were a few hundred feet above the peak. Now we climb just south of the peak to 6,800ft.

Name:	IMG_3336.jpg 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	6207

Always concerned about the marine air coming in to wipe out the cu, we see over the Berkeley hills these towering cu with perhaps 5,000ft bases. If those are there, we're not concerned about the sea breeze.
    Looking north across the Delta, this is how it looked, unusually nice for 4p:

Name:	IMG_3334.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	6208

But we still scoot back across the Delta at 80knots or so and figure out what to do next:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IiH...ew?usp=sharing

We'd crossed W of Travis, and nearing the Vaca ridge, we decide to go towards St. Helena as we could see some convergence like shreds hanging there:

Name:	IMG_3338.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	6209

The shreds did NOT work, so we got low a few miles south of Crazy Creek, recovered, and tagged Bear Valley for a climb, then came in.
    3.0 and 4.8 hours for each flight, covering alot of ground. What a great day!

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8275254
    Last edited by Kempton; 04-07-2021 at 08:19 PM.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Saturday 3/20/2021

I proposed to fill in as co-pilot for the afternoon flight with Kempton in FNX and was accepted for co-pilot duties. We launch at 2:15 PDT after Kempton's morning flight to Yolla. Kempton is such a great mentor in that he seriously solicits co-pilot opinions on where to go next and then after that etc. Even though I didn’t handle the controls much due to our relatively low altitude (4 to 5000’ msl) on the way to Mt. Diablo and return I felt engaged with the flight. Thanks Kempton!! We got low near Byron where Kempton pulled off a nice save and again near Crazy Creek on the return to WSC. I now know how Kempton is able to pull off these low saves, he talks to the thermal like it was a family pet dog!

Crazy Creek should be considered dangerous for landing, see separate post “Crazy Creek Alert” posted today.

Travis AFB:

Name:	20210320_Travis_AFB_FNX.jpg 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	6184

Over Antioch looking south.

Name:	IMG_3328.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	6186

Proof of turning Mt. Diablo:

Name:	20210320_Mt. Diablo_FNX.jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	6185

A bit of OGN screen shot image fun from Saturday March 20th

Name:	20210320-Flarm.JPG 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	6223

Name:	20210320-Flarm Spread.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	6222

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	6224
    Saw a Paraglider today on the Flarm

Wow @noelle I did not realize paragliders were flying with FLARM nowadays. Very cool! I'm going to see if I can figure out who it was. I'd love to hear more about the tech they were using. Will report back

Edit: It turns out it was a friend Mateo Calcedo, who was flying with an XC Tracer Maxx (https://www.xctracer.com/en/tech-spe...d=1913&lang=en).