Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wave+Thermal?: Fri-Sat March 19-20

Wave+Thermal?: Fri-Sat March 19-20

This Friday has the possibilities for wave in the morning and cu XC for the rest of the day:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19k wave Mar 19 930a Skysight Mar 16 .jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	6152930a and in the afternoon Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cu base Mar 19 1600 Mar 16.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	6153

So I'm thinking to get into the Snow wave in the morning, then go south to Coalinga, and back across before the Delta gets blown out. More updates as the forecast evolves.

NOTE: This is a very rare event. I've only flown this twice in 14 years here at WSC. It has the potential for 1000k+ due to the wave in the morning, but the risk is not being able to make the northbound Delta crossing.
    Last edited by Kempton; 03-16-2021 at 07:29 PM.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Re: Wave+Thermal?: Fri-Sat March 19-20

Both friday and saturday look really interesting. Coalinga? There's a new Kempton adventure, but the forecast supports it. Saturday is a little drier but higher too.

And Mr. Cochrane, you would be the best candidate to go with us! Consider it.....
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

I will be joining you for sat.

Kempton, generally speaking, since crossing the delta may be difficult late in the day and best case scenario it will significantly slow you down, an alternative is to continue south to Cuyama area and land back at Byron For a 1000km. Then fly back to Williams the following day, or take a very high tow from Byron and final glide to Williams. If you need to spend the night you are welcome to stay at my home. However this Friday it looks like much lower bases south of coalinga so maybe not ideal for this task.

Ramy

Quote Originally Posted by RamyYanetz View Post
    Kempton, generally speaking, since crossing the delta may be difficult late in the day and best case scenario it will significantly slow you down, an alternative is to continue south to Cuyama area and land back at Byron For a 1000km. Then fly back to Williams the following day, or take a very high tow from Byron and final glide to Williams. If you need to spend the night you are welcome to stay at my home. However this Friday it looks like much lower bases south of coalinga so maybe not ideal for this task.

Ramy
    whoa...
    Party at Ramy's house? I might consider flying if that's the case.
    Do i need to attempt the 1,000 K, or can I just fly down there from WSC?
    Peter Kelly

Oops... I just checked the schedule... the 32 is already booked for Saturday. I'll have to bow out. Thanks anyway .
    Peter Kelly

While I can’t promise a party, I can promise that anyone who lands at Byron (or concord/Livermore/Tracy) and want to stay overnight is welcome to stay at my place in San Ramon. I may even come and get you...

Ramy

Thanks Ramy, nice to know we have hospitality along the route 8^)

As for the wx, well, the wave pooped out for tmro (I see a pattern here...), but it still looks to be an early cu day tmro and Saturday. Friday cross the Delta around 12:30p and come back across by 3:30p. Not so sure about that early cu, but will be ready. Earliest I've ever launched on a cu day was 9:25a, so who knows. There also is a decent chance for thunderstorms, so expect them, like April 24, 2016 when Tom & I waited out the storm right on top of WSC (short videos from the back seat of the storm):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2C...ew?usp=sharing

Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Kempton, the only problem with this plan is that with every new forecast run the bases are lower, now it looks like 3-4K bases which is marginal for delta crossing.
    Saturday is looking better.

Ramy