Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Creek Alert

Crazy Creek Alert

I visited Crazy Creek Sunday 3/21/2021. Here are a couple of photographs that tell the story that the asphalt runway should be considered dangerous for landing a glider or power plane. There is equipment parked along with construction material on the runway. I was not able to get close enough to the dirt extension north to determine its condition. The north end of the property (not the runway) has lots of construction activity. I am guessing a golf course and large building. The last mile of road into Crazy Creek is dirt with lots of deep chuck holes and ruts from big trucks. I would not want to tow a trailer with glider on that stretch of road.

The north end of the asphalt runway:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5066.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	6166

A few hundred feet from from the north end:

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	6167

A large pile of something covered with a tarp in the middle of the asphalt runway:

Name:	IMG_5068.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	6168

Re: Crazy Creek Alert

Thanks for the info, Russ
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Russ, thanks for the info. I flew few times this year over the area and wondered where is the best place to land in this valley. I recall there are at least couple of airports nearby. Anyone know what is the best option there?

Ramy

I would consider the Johnson's grass strip (in the green oval below) which 1 - 2 NE of Crazy Creek across Highway 20 and 1 ridge which I landed at a long time a going during a BFR out of Crazy Creek for practice which we towed out of:

Name:	Johnson's Grass Strip?.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	6226
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Johnson's taken from Hwy 20 3/22/2021. Every time I go to Williams I see this view of Johnson's, often with black cattle as seen in this photograph.

Name:	IMG_5073.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	6232

Thanks, looks like Johnson is not marked as landable in the Williams database. Does anyone maintain the database?
    There is another airport nearby 7R (or 7M can’t recall but it has a number...) any info on that one?

thanks

Ramy

Quote Originally Posted by RamyYanetz View Post
    Thanks, looks like Johnson is not marked as landable in the Williams database. Does anyone maintain the database?

There is another airport nearby 7R (or 7M canít recall but it has a number...) any info on that one?
    The Williams database was updated in 2016. https://soaringweb.org/TP/Williams
    From the information in that link the name of a turn point with a landing strip or runway is followed by either an "E" or "R" where E is a private strip or airport and "R" is also on the Sectional chart. After the letter is a qualification number: 1, 2, or 3 is good, 7, 8, or 9 is bad.

Johnsons-E3 seems to indicate a good private landing field back in 2016.

7M Ranch-E2 indicates a good private landing field back in 2016. I drove by this field 3/22/2021 and was unable to view any part due to a locked gate.

1.5 miles WNW of Middletown is Larrys-E4. When I drove by 3/22/2021 I could see that vineyard had been planted on much of the field after 9/19/2018 (Google image date).

This photograph was taken 3/22/2021 from the west end looking SSE. This does not appear to be used as a landing field, but looks like pasture.

Name:	IMG_5071.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	6238

And as we all should know, the landing site data on turnpoint files should NEVER be used in case of emergency. It is more of a suggestion..... An off field site can change in a month from excellent to likely damage to the glider and/or you. Even the data for hard surface airports can change from one year to the next. Runways are shortened, narrowed, new runway lights added, etc. If you want an example, check out every "contest approved" outlanding sites on the Minden database. I'll bet you a 6 pack of beer that less than 20% would not cause damage to your glider. Lee Vining data is incorrect. I can go on.
    Craig

Agree with Craig that waypoint database can not be completely relied on. As such we should:
    1- maintain our databases as much as possible whenever new information comes along (such as in this and recent threads). I am already doing this for the Hollister/Byron database. Someone should do it for the Williams database.
    2- always fly with a current FAA database in addition to the waypoint database. Current FAA database can be downloaded from soaringdata.info
    3- even with current waypoint file and current FAA database there is always a possibility that the strip/airport is no longer landable or not suitable (runway lights, obstacles, NOTAM, new paving, new construction etc). As such it is always important to have at least decent fields nearby as alternative.
    4- on non flying days, take a road trip to visit some of the landout options which you normally rely on.

Ramy

One thing to remember. The turnpoint database is maintained by one person, John Leibacher. He does this for the world in addition to his real job (which includes a lot of traveling). Asking him to update any TP file multiple times a year would not be reasonable. Currently, he did a file name changes for numbered files and the majority of files are still in-accessible. He has been aware of the problem for better than a month, but hasn't had time to get it fixed. If someone begins to update the data on a specific TP file, perhaps the data could be manually changed and distributed internally. John could then update the online file maybe once per year or every other year (winter is best).