Thread: Thurs March 25

Thurs March 25

Looks like a really nice soaring day -- as good as last saturday. A touch more north wind, but not bad. Starts early, 8k at 3 sisters, 10k at goat. Cu everywhere. Opinions?

Re: Thurs March 25

Tomorrow looks like a fine soaring day which I'm planning on flying. I think, it will not be quite up to last Saturday's soaring do to the north winds.

Tomorrow looks like the best soaring day over the next week due to the high pressure building in and staying put per Windy.com latest run.

Per Weatherwest.com forecast of the Triple R returning for a while; see the last section of the latest article: https://weatherwest.com/archives/8692
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Quote Originally Posted by Pete (98) View Post
    Tomorrow looks like a fine soaring day which I'm planning on flying. I think, it will not be quite up to last Saturday's soaring do to the north winds.

Tomorrow looks like the best soaring day over the next week due to the high pressure building in and staying put per Windy.com latest run.

Per Weatherwest.com forecast of the Triple R returning for a while; see the last section of the latest article: https://weatherwest.com/archives/8692
    Pete-98,
    Thanks so much for this link to weatherwest.com
    As one who monitors the upper air along the pacific coast on a regular basis, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that link.
    good info with minimal ... if not zero bs.
    thanks.

If you have time, tell us about your flight today.
    Peter Kelly

looking at RASP, looks like a great day for a Pope Valley tour.
    west from goat, south over clear lake to fairfield, back north, meandering in the lift to the Mendos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FFECEC7D-BB32-4614-93E3-842FBC7ED022.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	6233

Name:	29681DA2-AD91-4C80-880D-367DF76F003B.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	6234

Name:	12215481-6738-4212-8BBC-FF1577892B55.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	6235
    Peter Kelly

Looks like a great day to do something different like go SW to the coast. Mt Tam and back.

Ramy

>Looks like a great day to do something different like go SW to the coast. Mt Tam and back.

I posted the above before I considered flying today. However this discussion (thanks John for starting it but where were you?) got me going and I decided to put my money where my mouth is and did just that, flew from Byron the the coast by Mt Tam, and then to Goat and back to Byron. Mt Tam was very doable from Williams if one would have headed that way instead of the milk run to the north.
    fantastic day! I posted photos to OLC (yes you can post photos to OLC):
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8277901

Ramy

A very interesting and fun day... This time of year, you can get off in the valley and work your way west into the Mendocinos which is very fun and at times very challenging.

There were broken cotton candy like cu popping near Williams, but the north wind was building in the valley from 15-20 kts aloft which is a little bit of a concern for breaking them up. As I headed west on tow, we were climbing at 10+ kts with the varios pegged just before I-5. So... I decided to give it a go at 1,400'... Would the climbs in the valley go high enough to get to Walker Ridge?

They were good enough to get to 7k a couple miles NW of Williams. Time to head NW towards the broken shredded cus NW of Antelope. The thermals all day were very rough which I think, was caused by the northerly wind running pretty parallel to the Mendos. I had some of the roughest thermals I have ever flown on a thermal day just north of Sheet Iron Mountain. They were rough like you would experience during a wave day working rotor enhanced thermals when trying to get into the wave.

We were a little early for the day to get organized. After working a couple broken climbs NW Antelope Airport, I had enough altitude to get to Walker Ridge. The north wind was blowing parallel down Walker Ridge. The north end had a climb, but the rockin' climb was on the south end near the Walker Ridge turn point which was there all day. My first attempt to get to South Goat Mtn, I got completely FLUSHED in 10+ kt sink back to Walker Ridge I went. The 2nd attempt went very well going W-NW from the south end of Walker Ridge into the clouds on the west side of Indian Valley Reservoir. Once, you were connected into the cloud street on Goat Mtn, it was pretty straight forward to get to Sheet Iron Mtn, but you needed to be patient and work the wispy bits under the spread out. I worked my way up to Black Butte and turned south since the cloud street was lowering quite a bit north. The run south to the Gold Mines was pretty straight fwd with minimal turning before turning north to run up to Sites and home.

South bound with Snow Mountain off the right wing tip:

Name:	SnowMtn.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	6237

My best climb of the day was just north of 3 Sisters on my way home at 8+ kts from bottom to top.

The flight is posted on OLC: https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8277925
    Pete Alexander -- 98