Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt Cam - Larry Roberts!!!

Mt Cam - Larry Roberts!!!

Thanks to the all day efforts of Larry Roberts we have a Mt Cam again!!!

https://www.williamssoaring.com/web-...ebcam-mtn.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MtCam.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	6258

Larry has added a little something to the upper left hand corner as well.

A few of the local news channels have been using our camera in their weather reports.

Now Williams Soaring Center is getting the credit due to Larry's behind the scene efforts.

THANK YOU LARRY!

Re: Mt Cam - Larry Roberts!!!

Way to go Larry - thanks for fixing and for the upgrade.
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

THANKS Larry!!
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Thank you so much Larry!

Thanks Larry - I dig the upgrade

Thanks Larry. Now I can go back to spending the whole day watching weather at williams and second guessing no-fly decisions!

Thanks for your continued efforts, Larry! Really appreciated!

Pat

I appreciate the "thanks" for the web cam maintenance. Sometimes it is a challenge.

The most recent failure that had the camera down and stuck on the Night Scene was due to a bad connection I made when replacing a RJ45 jack. Strange that it lasted 5 days. Sorry that it took me few days before I could make it out to WSC to repair it.

The Williams Webcams are just simple security cameras with wide field of views. Those who have had to use the internet connections at WSC know that doing any real streaming is impossible. WSC's internet is via DSL. Darn Slow Link. I have clogged the office network while installing and testing the camera because it can use too much bandwidth. WSC's DSL is about 1MB down, 600KB up, less than that when measured on Speed Test. I try to keep the camera resolution setting "Good Enough" to have a nice image. Frontier says that their local DSL service is "Perfect for 1-2 devices, basic web activities, and standard music streaming." I have viewed the router connections and have seen over 50 devices connected on a busy day (lots of pilots).

When you view the "LIVE" feed, you are actually initiating a PHP script that connects to the camera and takes an instant snapshot and displays that image.
    Two timers are started.
    The first is timer that will put you back to the stationary image of both cameras after a short period of viewing the web cam images.
    The second takes the snapshot every 6 seconds, therefore the jerky stop motion effect.

You never connect to the camera. The camera does not stream. Sometimes the connection is so slow that it can't do it every 6 seconds. The script saves the last snapshot that is shown on the page with both cameras. Add to the fact that WSC's internet connection is very unreliable. The "time out" was needed because pilots would leave the web page connection up for DAYS, taking up valuable bandwidth.

Thought that I would share how it is done.
    ~ Larry Roberts

Wink Re: Mt Cam - Larry Roberts!!!

Ah, technology sausage making! If people knew how it REALLY works behind the scenes, they'd wonder that it works at all, like this European ATM:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german atm humor.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	6273 Now that's automation
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Kempton,

Love the term "technology sausage making". I did not mention that it also takes DDNS addresses, port forwarding, and static IP address.. blah, blah, blah. It all has to work every time or nothing works. Oh, and there are 2 different DSL accounts. One at the house, and one at the office. Which does help regarding bandwidth.

Thanks for your input. Love the photo, that describes what it takes to make it "easy".

~ Larry Roberts