Thread: Saturday may 1

Saturday may 1

Saturday looks interesting. The north end blows out pretty quickly, but I see nice cu, possible valley cu, and a decently good south end all day. Opinions?

Re: Saturday may 1

Looks like a wonderful spring soaring day to me with valley and mtn thermals. It looks to me like the convergence line will go from around Berryessa Dam up to T-16 area. Maybe, more...
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Planning on flying Sat!

8:30 AM forecast run is much better especially up north. Maybe more -- shasta, around the horn? I'm planning to fly

TG is joining the party.

Ramy

Saturday turned in to a really nice day. I rate it somewhat better than forecast on the mendos, with the valley convergence and chance to get to the Sierras a bit disappointing, though Ramy gave it a courageous try! Cloudbase was only 8500 initially, rising to 9500-1000 on the mendos. But the clouds lined up nicely so there was only really one gap to cross, from Black Butte to M6 (as usual). The convergence led straight to the Buckhorns, with a little bit of gap to cross and reconnect, and then north. Here the space between cloudbase and minimum altitude for an acceptable glide to landing spots got a bit tight, needing tiptoeing even though the lift was good. I went on to a great convergence line on the east side of Scott Valley. Back proved more interesting. Now the convergence line had blown out. I went straight from Buckhorns to T-16, finding a climb up in the foothills of T 16. Ramy, Luke, Andy and others tried the valley convergence which worked high up but not so well down low. Then straight home with no turns. Very pretty too!

PS, the "airport" I got all excited about is the R Wild Horse Ranch, California 36, Platina, CA. It turns out to have X in the runway, and Google earth measures 55' between trees in the middle. So.... well, it needs a ground visit before getting too hot to land there. A wide field 3 miles to the NW may be a better bet. Or, don't get low here in the first place.

Yes that is the horse ranch strip. Way too narrow to land. The field to the NW looks OK but fields downhill along the drainage may be better. Best option is to not get low in the first place