Thread: Soaring on Thursday 5/13/21

Soaring on Thursday 5/13/21

Ship was available (asg-32), checked the rasp at 3 PM on Wednesday and it looks goood for tomorrow. Noelle said OK,

Phil and I had discussed MacCready (MC) and Speed To Fly (STF) yesterday on our Condor flights. Tomorrow we can do some real life demos.

We'll pick two points, and fly too fast once (STF @ MC=6) and too slow the next (STF @ MC=0). Will report our findings.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Soaring on Thursday 5/13/21

Good easy day. Didn't do the STF experiment - the polar curve is just too flat from 54 to 92 kts. to illustrate the penalties of flying “off speed “.

Checked out the areas around Black Butte, Diamond M and the Sheet Iron bowl.
    Snapped photos - will add a few in here tomorrow.

See OLC link here
    Flights - SeeYou Cloud

Couple of photos from today. Nice view of Black Butte, with Anthony Peak in the distance to the north.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-ss-looking north at Blk Butte.PNG 
Views:	50 
Size:	836.8 KB 
ID:	6380

As we head south, we see cu 20 miles to the north over Yola Peak. Phil (OV), in his Jantar was probably under that cu about the same time I snapped the photo.... Philip had a good flight too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-ss-cu in distance over Yola Pk to the north.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	806.2 KB 
ID:	6381

Camera malfunction caused me to miss the photos over Diamond M, Elk Creek, Montgomery and Stonyford. Maybe next time.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 05-14-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    Peter Kelly

Yeah, I had fun learning to climb up on Yolla
    - Philip Lee (UV)

A suggestion on the speed to fly experiment. Mc is really about what the minimum thermal strength you will take. Climbing 1 knot and diving to the next thermal at 100 kts (mc 6) will not do much good. Better, announce you will not do any more circles in a thermal if the averager is below x, and also fly x mc speed between thermals. Just the discipline of looking at the averager and if it is not up to snuff, leave, is good. Classic MacCready though really needs a decent, 3k foot, altitude band to begin to be useful. If it's 10k on the mendos, you really have a very small altitude band to play with, as falling out means a long slog to get back, at best. That is still not an excuse for sitting in 1 knot lift, but it makes screaming glides a bit less productive.