Thread: New VSA Web Page

New VSA Web Page

Peter, Larry:

The new site looks great so far!

- Jim

Re: New VSA Web Page

Hmmm - not so sure about the phrase "thus concern for passengers is not a factor"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wallis View Post
    Hmmm - not so sure about the phrase "thus concern for passengers is not a factor"...
    Jim,
    not sure what page you saw that on.... I've written too many pages.

I have just finished loading the most recent 11 newsletters - spanning from June 2010 back to March 2003.
    see them at...
    http://www.valleysoaring.com/?page_id=22

put your mouse pointer over the Newsletter tab at the top.

I also just finished the weather page - in the new format.
    Peter Kelly

Sent some comments directly via e-mail - let me know if you don't get it.

Love the weather page.

- Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Jim,
    not sure what page you saw that on.... I've written too many pages.

I have just finished loading the most recent 11 newsletters - spanning from June 2010 back to March 2003.
    see them at...
    http://www.valleysoaring.com/?page_id=22

put your mouse pointer over the Newsletter tab at the top.

I also just finished the weather page - in the new format.

Good inputs in that private email Jim, thank you.
    your points are well taken.

I'm having some frustrations getting things set up properly, but I'll get it - eventually.
    Peter Kelly

Hi, PK -

I was just glancing at your VSA 2012 Race schedule on the new website, and noted that one of your regular race days conflicts with Avenal.

I looked through the SSA calendar, and identified that there are a couple of days on the VSA schedule that don't have a western US conflict-
    08/18 and 09/08.

I wonder if having the regular race days conflict-free might result in greater participation.

In any event, thanks for all the work you are putting in to get all of this online.

Cheers - Marianne

Marianne,

Thanks for the thank you. you're welcome. we all make a contribution when and where we can.

Re: the conflict with Avenal, among other conflicts as well....
    The dilemma is that there are only so many days when the soaring is good.
    Springtime is an especially challenging time to schedule anything and not have a conflict.
    The schedule we arrived at for the Race Series is the best compromise we could come up with and still have a few decent days to race. We've had conflicts with events at ASI, Truckee and Minden as well over the years. It's inevitable when you try to have a series of races such as this. Yes, there are alternative schedules we could have developed, and just about all of them were considered or addressed in one way or another in our group discussions. It would be great if we could have greater participation, but there is always a trade off.

The hope is, that people will have minimum conflicts, but some pilots will be forced to choose one event over the other.

I've had to that at least once every year (and sometimes several times per year) over the last 20 years of soaring.

In any case, thanks for your thoughtful suggestion. I suspect the schedule we have published will probably remain in effect.

First Race day is March 24th.
    I hope the conditions will be good. I'm looking forward to it.

But I do need to keep working on the WSC turn point list for 2012, if I am going to have it done a month ahead of time.
    I have already had key people reviewing and approving the proposed changes and I am in contact with John Leibacher at the SSA Turn Point Exchange. He is just waiting on me for the final version.

It's been a couple of years since we revised our list.
    A few locations have changed names. I'd like to keep the name in the data file the same as what is found on the sectional chart.
    And, we no longer have a need to include those points that are part of the Montague data file, so I have removed those points.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 02-18-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Peter Kelly

Thanks to Peter, now I have figured out how to post to VSA page, so here my first post with pictures from SSA Convention in Reno. Enjoy
    http://www.valleysoaring.net/?p=1013

The new site is awesome. Thanks to PK and YE (Peter Kelly and Larry Roberts)for all the work that went into this.

Peter Kelly has worked diligently on this website for years, sometimes with consultation, sometimes without. The site is informative, rich in perspective & history, and a resource for future events.

This "behind the scenes" work takes attention, care and time, dedication to excellence in the community - and a passion for soaring. It is a beautiful work in progress!

I recommend taking time to browse through the site and get familiar with the VSA/WSC community history, present and future - all in one place. It is a very user friendly site.

You guys may have outdone yourselves on this one!
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

I spent a bit more time transferring a couple of more of our VSA adventures. Like Ginny says "...informative, rich in perspective & history..."

Look under the menu tab called "Vintage Pages" on the valleysoaring.net site.

http://www.valleysoaring.net/?page_id=25

And then, look under the "Pages from our previous site"

See very special photos taken by Rich Parker of Mt Shasta - snapped during the "2005 Expedition to Montague"

Also view the photos taken by our Master Photographer Tom Jue - in March 2005.
    Peter Kelly