Thread: Turn Point file for WSC for 2012

Turn Point file for WSC for 2012

The latest turn point file has been released/ published and it is now available at the Turn point exchange.
    Visit the VSA page that talks about turn points. Read about the many changes and to see the link to the exchange.

See VSA home page, "Other" tab, Turn point page, or go there directly via.....

http://www.valleysoaring.net/?page_id=806

If any pilot has any questions or corrections to that data file, please send me an email as soon as possible.
    Thank you.

gliding@sonic.net
    Peter Kelly

Re: Turn Point file for WSC for 2012

Thanks Peter for the update. I know how much work it takes to keep the database currents.
    Looks like you added back the landable attributes (A or L) to all the landable places? Is this correct? I recall your removed it from previous version and as a result I used an older version until now, but will be happy to switch over to the current one if all landable places are marked as such.

Ramy

Quote Originally Posted by RamyYanetz View Post
    Thanks Peter for the update. I know how much work it takes to keep the database currents.
    Looks like you added back the landable attributes (A or L) to all the landable places? Is this correct? I recall your removed it from previous version and as a result I used an older version until now, but will be happy to switch over to the current one if all landable places are marked as such.

Ramy
    You are welcome Ramy. And thank you for your recent update to the Truckee file.

Re: L attribute.

We only have four points with an L designation. Rex prefers to limit the TP that are designated with an L.
    Cal Worthington, Cooks, Esparto, and Indian. - we probably should have deleted the L designation on Indian , but we didn't. There is a caveat in the header that addresses that concern, which says in part....

**The Landing Attribute "L" has been amended to a few of the control points that ** MAY have been landable in the past, but they may not be landable any longer. ** --- ** Pilots must decide for themselves which control points may be landable for ** them, and then add or delete attributes as appropriate.

Re: A attribute.
    John Leibacher asked me if it was ok to add the "A"irport attribute to those points that match FAA airports, and I approved that change. I had the impression from the manner in which he asked the question that it is better to show the A Attribute for FAA matched airports.

Does the above answer your question?
    Peter Kelly

Yes, this answered my question, thanks. Of course it is better to show the A attribute for airports, otherwise they show up only as turnpoints. The problem with the previous version was that it could not be used for landouts, since you couldn't tell the difference between a landable to non landable waypoint without reading the comments. All other waypoint files were always using A attribute for airports. However if you know that a certain airport is not safe for glider landing, you should ask John to remove this attribute. I had about 10 of those in the Hollister database.

Ramy

Thanks Ramy,
    We'll see if anyone has any suggestions about some of them not being safe for glider landings.
    Peter Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Thanks Ramy,
    We'll see if anyone has any suggestions about some of them not being safe for glider landings.
    Just noticed that all the elevations are wrong, they are showing in meters although specified in feet. Same probelm as I found in the Hollister database. This is apparentluy a new bug in John Leibacher scripts. I just alerted him, but meanwhile if you downloaded the file beware of wrong elavations!

Ramy

Just noticed that all the elevations are wrong, they are showing in meters although specified in feet. Same probelm as I found in the Hollister database. This is apparentluy a new bug in John Leibacher scripts. I just alerted him, but meanwhile if you downloaded the file beware of wrong elavations!

Ramy
    Ramy,
    I did note that the altitudes were in meters within a few hours of when John put the Williams files on line, and he corrected it immediately. So,I doubt it is a problem for anyone. No one is as fast as you are in keeping up to date.

Of course, I am always looking at the Cambridge "dat" files, so maybe the meters glitch still exists in some others?

The "WSC12.dat" Cambridge file is ok.
    Peter Kelly

It was wrong for all other formats until an hour ago when John fixed it. So anyone who downloaded the file recently should download it again.

Ramy

It was wrong for all other formats until an hour ago when John fixed it. So anyone who downloaded the file recently should download it again.

Ramy
    Super.
    Thanks mucho for the assist that one Ramy. Your help is appreciated.

Hey! you missed a good day at Williams today. Are you goofing off?
    Peter Kelly

I figured the wave should be stronger Sunday (unless we get too much clouds or rain). Am planning to fly from Byron. but if the wave will work well, may try an O&R to Williams.
    BTW, flew an O&R from Byron to Williams (Walker ridge) 10 days ago (in thermals).

Ramy