Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps - Another new page added to our new VSA site

Maps - Another new page added to our new VSA site

Maps

On this Forum, a few years ago, Larry Roberts had mentioned the Maps that I had created for all pilots. Maps that tell you about the local area and such.
    As far as I know, no one ever added to any of my edits or added content to any of those maps, but that was probably because they used to be difficult to find.

NOW, they are readily available, and probably a bit controversial at this point, but I think we can get that taken care of with full collaboration by all involved.

Thanks to Jim - 1b for giving me a kick in the butt to get started on this again. I've been busy updating and revising them the last couple of days.

See your new VSA Maps Page....

http://www.valleysoaring.net/?page_id=1121

What we need is your input. Ever landed at Antelope, or bear valley, or cooks?
    Put a marker on the map - tell us when and tell us about your experience. Show us photos of your dog-goat.

Some of you may want to create your own map to share with everyone. that might be easier for you - rather than fiddle with the maps with things I have been working on. Go ahead and make up yoiur own maps. save them to My Places when you are signed into Goggle. Send me the link to your maps. I'll embed it into our VSA Maps page. You can even enter some narrative about it yourself on the VSA Maps page. You do know that everyone who is a member of VSA is an editor and may create and edit web pages and posts, right?
    I hope so.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 03-08-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Maps - Another new page added to our new VSA site

I couldn't resist. I simply looked at the great dog-goat photo again here on the forum, right clicked on the photo and saved the url.
    I went to the Map that shows the tows, zoomed into the area around cooks and I inserted a link to Luke's photo.
    Peter Kelly

Peter -

You have captured a lot of valuable information on those maps. I hope folks take advantage of it. I plan to.

Jim D. - 1B

For those of you that might be coming down to Avenal for the Spring Contest 5/16-5/20, I have a similar map setup for the Avenal region.

My map is based off of Mike Reids format and his Sierra Map. It includes a little color coding for marking areas. Red = bad, yellow=lift sources, blue=airports, purple=landable, but maybe a field. It's a good way to convey information about an area at a quick glance.

Here is the Central California Map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f7bb2f6e&msa=0

If you don't have it already, here is Mike Reid's Sierra Map. Mostly Southern Sierra, since he's out of Tehachapi.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f7bb2f6e&msa=0

Great to see the collaborative capability of these maps. Although admittedly, they don't see much in the way of updates. They are easy to improve and work with though.

Morgan

....admittedly, they don't see much in the way of updates. They are easy to improve and work with....
    Precisely the problem I have had since the inception. No one collaborates. No one updates. The maps remain stagnant.

Each and every pilot has many first hand reports that would be extremely beneficial to the newer pilots.
    Try to remember what it was like when you were not familiar with our environment.

Let the cold sweat develop and chill you as you recall the details of what, at the time, seemed like a harrowing experience. Now-a-days, you probably don't even look for lift until you get down to those same altitudes in that area. but that was then and this is now.

Share your knowledge of some of these land features. I don't believe this kind of extra information is apt to give people a false sense of confidence. On those early flight in a new area, pilots are overloaded with trying to access terrain, lift, glide distance, keeping track of landmarks, etc. I don't believe there is such a thing as being over prepared for a flight. but that's just my opinion. Anyone have a differnt one?

Start with just editing the maps I have created.

I just put a new one up that shows the tow from Williams to Walker and illustrates some points along the way that provide some insight - obvious to you, if you are experienced, but invaluable to a new person.

See that new map at...
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...36152,0.764923

I already have that new map listed on the VSA Maps Page.

Morgan, nice job on those Avenal Maps.
    Peter Kelly

Nice job, Peter! I could have used a few of those tips yesterday.

University (EDU) is now using 123.075 for CTAF.

[QUOTE=Peter Kelly;1354]Maps

What we need is your input.

Yes, they do use 123.075

Our TP data file is up to date, but that map isn't, thank you Jim.
    I could change it in a second, but..

Are you able to edit the map and change the freq on the map from 122.8 over to 123.075?
    Peter Kelly

I was a little hesitant to mess with the map but since I posted that comment, I was able to add a land out site (at least, I think I did) so I will give the frequency change a shot. One comment to prospective editors: It looks like it is really easy to accidently shift the location of a mark so exercise caution when clicking that you are not moving the mouse at the same time.

- Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Yes, they do use 123.075

Our TP data file is up to date, but that map isn't, thank you Jim.
    I could change it in a second, but..

Are you able to edit the map and change the freq on the map from 122.8 over to 123.075?

Good job on the edit Jim, thanks. That is a nice strip - I had forgotten about it, and it in a handy location. I almost landed short of Yolo one day coming at it from the NE. I couls see being low and trying to make Univeristy - coming from the west and just across 505.

BTW, on the shifting of the placement markers, just go to the sat view, zoom in and you can usually clearly see the place that the marker belongs.

I see you put your marked right smack in the middle of the runway.
    Nice.

Name:  huge-rwy-ne-wint.png
Views: 449
Size:  411.2 KB
    Peter Kelly