Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather and Soaring Conditions

Re: Weather and Soaring Conditions

Indeed Sunday looks better with no high clouds.

Ramy

update from home at 9:15 saturday

it sure is cloudy

you could see it would be this way if you had been looking at the forecast sounding the last few days.

still.....

rasp says it's a good flying day.

I'll be there in an hour.

her are the soundings from our rasp page...
    today and tomorrow over goat

less cloud tomorrow

like Luke says - looking PHAT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	today-sounding2.curr.1300lst.d2.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	693

Name:	sounding2.curr+1.1300lst.d2.png 
Views:	260 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	694
    Peter Kelly

As I said earlier in this thread and many times before, just look at the NAM blipmap total cloud cover. It told the story already 3 days ago...
    It is a no brainer. Large area of white means large area of high clouds. It doesn't tell how thick the high clouds will be so there is always a hope.
    Ramy

Ahhhh, now I get it!
    The color legend shows nothing against the white background from 93 to 100, but that is actually white telling us we had a large mass of clouds over northern California yesterday. Looks like today (Sunday) is the day to fly (no white over Williams).
    Thanks Ramy,
    JJ

Ramy,
    Sounds like you and the others out of Triuckee had some good flights yesterday. Way to go.
    Today sure looks better still.
    We had nice flights locally on the Mendos, I especially enjoyed the one 7 kt thermal (avg over 3,000 ft) that Andy found for me over the Lets (sp?) lake ridge - climbed from the ridge height up to 8,000 ft - the high for the day.... relaxed day, with no engine saves to avoid landout...
    Peter Kelly

Indeed Sunday was just great out of WSC. The blob of moisture that came through Saturday eve acted like a front, so today was "post frontal" although I can't remember the last time the front came from the south. But this was the Gulf of Mexico monsoon, and it brought unstable & clear air and moist air, but no cirrus.

At breakfast, Ray, Ginny, Wes and I learned more about Ginny's Stonyford adventure. Ray had put his ship in the box Saturday as it was getting gusty with lightning. I offered him the front seat of FNX as I wanted to fly to make up for the grinding sauna of Saturday. After a considered weighing of the leg exercise (heavy ASH-25 rudder) vs. not having to assemble his ship, he was on. We were the 1st mountain tow at 11:55a, released at Tree Farm, futzed around for a bit, then Ray found us the 6-7 knots on the high point of Goat Mt. One more short circling climb on Snow, and then Ray instituted the "no circling" goal of the flight. From then on we didn't do more than a quarter turn at any one time for the remainder of the flight, about 450km by OLC:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=2643802

The forecast and actual clouds were matched, with some isolated OD as the day went on. This was at 1:45p coming up on Hayfork N bound:

Name:	N_bound_West_side_of _cloudline_sm.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	698
    We stayed between 9.5-12.5K the entire time. The S wind of 14-16 knots of course helped on the outbound, but we were very conscious of how it might slow us on the way home. Turned about 8sm short of Hoopa, way on the extreme west side of the Trinity Wilderness. Arcata was less than 20nm to the West. Ray mentioned several times about how it would be a adventure to go land at Eureka, but it may be fogged in (!).... ACK!

Southbound the trip was a bit slower, but we were a bit more aggressive on the cruise speed. The clouds were starting to OD, but it was quite workable:

Name:	S_bound_3p_still_looking_good.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	699

3p and it was still good around Black Butte. We turned toward WSC at Sheet Iron, and landed by 4p. Including the slow start and slowing down as we approached WSC to allow for separation to JJ, we still averaged 78.5mph over 296sm. A little bit of pushing could easily have put that at 80+mph!

It was still going strong at almost 6p:

Name:	View NW_530p_still_strong.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	700

Thanks Ray for the in-flight discussion, tips and observations. What a great group we have at Williams!
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

I tried to comply with Ray's rule of the day - NO TURNS - after I heard the decree, but I found myself at 8,000 when 10 miles west of Yolla Peak, so I stopped and climbed. I was probably flying faster than I should have been - if I really wanted to avoid having to do any turns.
    I too posted to OLC.

The numbers on OLC show FNX flew 477km at a speed of 126 km/hr
    while the numbers for me were ----342 km at a speed of 118 km/hr

After leaving Ruth I flew mostly straight lines while running the go pro camera continuously (looking forward) - I made half turns to each side of the cloud street - just for the movies.

At Anthony Peak I saw JJ and invited him to fly my 12 o'clock - since I had the "gun camera" on... and he did so. I stayed behind him, from 2:50 to 3:30, including the climb he couldn't pass up at Black Butte.
    That thermal climb might be a good training film on how to thermal.. or how not to thermal... depending...

Hopefully I'll make a you tube video out of all of it.

I just updated my See You.
    Here are two intro pix. of the adventure.
    I am using my own trace, sine it is identical to JJ's for this part...

We are heading south, between Anthony and Blk butte.

JJ's doing 100 mph and we're at 9,000. Time is 14:57:57 See lower right of pix.
    I'm right behind him.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	701

a bit of a wiggle in the track... he starts slowing.. still at 9,000 vario is going a bit crazy...

It is 90 seconds or so later... 59:37 (59 minutes and 37 seconds past 2 PM)

Name:	2-59-37.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	702

JJ says - "I'm gonna take this one" and makes a tight right turn and makes two circles climbing about 800 feet, before he makes the correction...

he knows the center is up wind to the south west.....

Name:	3-01-29.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	704

time now is 01 and 29 seconds....
    he makes a single turn and we are passing 10,200 and the vario shows almost 10 kts...

Name:	4-02-17.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	705

Five more turns and we are up to 12,000, as JJ starts pushing over and we start to accelerate

the wind arrow and the thermals tell the story...

Name:	5-04-37.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	706
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 08-06-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Peter Kelly

You got it JJ. Now you will be able to better pick up the best soaring days. Remember large areas of white is high clouds, small areas are usually not a problem. My experience with this parameter is that it is very accurate on the NAM blipmap, not so on RASP.

Ramy