Thread: Late Day Wave: Saturday Feb 12

Late Day Wave: Saturday Feb 12

The RASP is showing some late day (5p) wave off of Goat/Snow. This was not really forecastable although the GFS/AVN did hint at it. The good news is that it's from a West wind, so it's closer, and it's strong down low.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press850.curr.1600lst.d2.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	93

Name:	press700.curr.1600lst.d2.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	94

Name:	press500.curr.1600lst.d2.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	95

Name:	boxwmax.curr.1600lst.d2.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	96
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Re: Late Day Wave: Saturday Feb 12

Thanks, Kemptom! for the heads up - I got a 2 hr. late-afternoon flight in - wave near Walker.
    Tom Duncan in OJ was up before me and made it up to 14K, I made it up to 12K in P1.
    Kenny and Pat were in the Duo - we all landed at WSC just before sunset.

It took some perserverance, in light lift (0.5 - 2.0 kts max) in a tiny window just east of the Reservoir,
    to get above 8000 ft. It got pretty cold in the cockpit as the sun went down and I went up.

But, well worth the drive.

Marianne

Wow - thanks for the heads up, Kemp, and thanks for the report Marianne! That must have been beautiful! Glad you had a good flight, Marianne - was that your first wave flight in P1?
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Kempton told me to give a report on Saturday's flight and, contrary to what those who know me might say, I always do what I am told. After being encouraged by Kempton's report (Thanks Kempton) and some ground instruction from Rex (Thanks Rex), I waited for Kenny's report who went to Goat ahead of me. Kenny directed me to Walker (Thanks Kenny) and Brian towed me out. Thanks Brian for not cutting me loose over Bear Valley when I was looking down for the Bear Valley landing site and got way too much slack in the line. It must have been fun flying sideways until I got it together. I released at 8000 feet, finally found lift at 0.5 to 2.0 kts, and slowly climbed to 14,000 feet. I was still climbing when I left to the south for Rumsey gap but since I had no oxygen and my half hour was over, that was it. At 14,000 feet the wind was out of the southwest at 33 kts. The wave was narrow and seemed to be over that little white building with the tin roof on Walker Ridge. On my way south I found lift south of that location and again at the north end of the Capay Valley over the ridge on the east side all weak at 0.5 to 1.5 kts. Would liked to have gone higher and farther but oxygen, the end of day, and lack of experience prevented both. Thanks to the Cora and Noelle I was able to find out when I had to land and the regulations on oxygen. That was good since they say you can get goofy without oxygen and since I am pretty goofy already it would have been hard to tell. It was a great day for a rookie's first wave experience.

Congratulations on your first wave soaring, Tom! Nice report.
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Thanks for the followup report Tom. While I didn't fly, I was in the area, up at Orland being ground crew for Wes while he dirtbiked. The air was calm there, but I was hoping someone would fly the wave. When Cora told me that Tom, Marianne and Kenny were up, I was smiling. Can't let a good day go to waste! At 20 minutes before sunset, I'm still in Orland and looking at the WSC runway cam on my phone, and I don't see any gliders yet. So curiosity got the best of me and I called Cora to ask if anyone was down yet and she said they were coming in.

Tom treated Wes, Cora and myself to Chinese dinner and we talked wave flying. What a deal!
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)