Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday Wave

Cool Friday Wave

It's 2 PM, looks like north winds at WSC, and I only see one spot - presumably in the DUO with Kemp and Pat. It looks like they are in wave near Boggs or St. Helena. I bet it's beautiful up there! Will be looking for reports.
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Re: Friday Wave

Looks like they made it to the Sonoma coast north of Gualala.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...l6fSUqUM0aoVdf

The Spot trace shows the Duo landing at Lampson around 5pm and another Spot in a retrieve vehicle which just arrived about 20 minutes ago.

Duo wings in the dark - sounds fun!

I'm guessing Kempton will be buying some beers later tonight...

But it was worth it - what a cool flight! Out to the Pacific from Williams. I've always wanted to do that. Look like they turned downwind at the 20 gap south of Three Sisters with Williams almost in glide. That must have been an 'interesting' decision.

Yes - this looks like an amazing flight - can't wait for the posting!
    Wish I was there to share the story and beer, but glad not to have to share the lifting of DUO wings!
    Last edited by Ginny Farnsworth; 11-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President

Indeed, it was a heap of new experiences for me, and for Pat. Highlights include:
    - Takeoff at 11:18a, 20-25mph winds, gusts reasonable.
    - Climbed in the Goat wave, a couple miles downwind of the usual spot, right over the largest open field
    - Crossed Clear Lake to St. Helena, with no lift, contrary to the RASP
    - St. Helena was very strong, per RASP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov22_500mb_rasp.PNG 
Views:	301 
Size:	377.9 KB 
ID:	1329
    - Big fire in the geothermal area:

Name:	Geothermal_fire_smoke_sm.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	1327
    - Flying with Ramy who made history with the first round trip crossing of the delta in wave, returning to his takeoff point, Byron. And with no flight computer, only steam gauges and vario!
    - Short lived & very occasional wave/rotor clouds at 18K+
    - Went down to the Lagoon Valley Soaring ridge, spotty lift on the way. View of the Bay Area from there:

Name:	BayArea_from_Napa_sm.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	1330
    - Winds at 17K were 20-25knots @070 down south, picking up to 50 knots at altitude up north
    - Ramy continued up to Ukiah, tracking the wave right over H-101. Note the smoke from the fire on the ridge in the center of the picture. It is not moving!

Name:	ukiah_smoke_sm.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	1328

- We followed later, with the Sirens calling to fly over the ocean. We made it to just south of Pt. Arena:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2C...it?usp=sharing
    - But fighting the 50 knot wind on the return trip was too much, so we landed at Lampson:

Name:	PatAlford_Lampson_sm.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	1331

Nick & Danny picked us up, they were so efficient. From arrival time to driving away was 15 minutes! Pat and I owe them a big steak dinner very soon.
    While we were waiting, a rescue helicopter based at Lampson lands, giving us a bit of fun holding the ship down in the rotor wash! It was the crew of N42RX, and they let us stay in their lounge.
    Other new experiences were using the Clearnav to "contour fly" the waves, as this was my first time going cross country hopping from wavelets to wavelets. That is a study in itself.

What a pinnacle experience!
    Last edited by Kempton; 11-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

I couldn't agree with Kempton more! What an incredible experience!

Here are a few of my photos from the flight.

Leaving the Goat wave and heading southwest to Mt. St. Helena with Clear Lake and the McCabe Fire in the photo.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 08a.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	1342

One of those short-lived rotor clouds that Kempton mentioned near the McCabe fire.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 13a.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	1343

The McCabe fire.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 14a.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	1344

Mt. Diablo from our southern most point after deciding not to cross the Delta and instead return north.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 41a.JPG 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	1345

The Bay Area from the same point.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 45a.JPG 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	1346

Zoomed in on the Golden Gate Bridge and Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 45b.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	1347

When we returned north the smoke from the McCabe fire was contouring to the wave.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 52a.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	1348

Looking south along the San Andreas fault line before crossing the coastline near Point Arena.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 68a.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	1349

Looking north at Point Arena from over the ocean at the beginning or our return journey.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 80a.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	1350

The point when we decided to return to Lampson.

Name:	Soaring 13-11-22 85a.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	1351

Thanks to Rex and Noelle for making this flight possible, and to Nick and Danny for the retrieve!

Pat

Wow - what a flight! Thanks for posting - both of you. Beautiful photos, interesting strategies.
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President

Kemp & Pat ~ Cool flight! Thanks for the post and pictures!
    Pete Alexander -- 98

Cool flight indeed and glad I could share it with you guys. Thanks to Kemp for posting an alert on the forum, and when I did not responded right away he also texted me to alert me. Otherwise I may have missed it. This demonstrates the importance of posting to the forums, and perhaps the need for a mailing list as I was not aware of the post until Kemp alerted me personally.
    My flight was over 550km as I started from Byron, turned Ukiah and did some yoyo in the St. Helena wave. It is posted to OLC http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=3424594
    One correction to Kemp's post - although it was my first time to successfully connect with the Napa wave after multiple attempts, and make it back, I did not quiet made history. Carl Harold and friends flew two days in a row from Fremont to St Helena and back many years ago. He published the story again 10 years ago in West Wind which inspired me to try this flight myself.
    As Kemp noted, I did the whole flight only with my 302, no PDA, moving map, trace to follow, wind information, nada, just STF vario. Just as I was ready to launch and turned on my Dell Streak PDA I discovered it had dead battery. I then found out neither my extra battery charger nor my 302 can charge a dead battery. Apparently it requires more current. Dang! Back to basic. I figured I may have to fly more conservatively which I did, otherwise I would have probably go to the coast as well... Luckily lift was relatively strong and wide.
    As far as crossing the delta, this time it was easy tanks to the ESE wind which had tail wind component going NW instead of the usual headwind in NE wind and I only lost 3000 feet or so until I reconnected east of Napa. However on my way back with head wind component I lost twice as much altitude, which put me below the ceiling of class bravo and forcing me to move closer to the mountain and go through the sink instead of climbing back in the Diablo wave. The wave was was further west rather than south of the mountain as I suspected it will be in my earlier post. As such needed to move another 10 miles south to the Los Vaqueros wave where I climbed again. This is just FYI for future attempt to cross from Williams to the Diablo wave and back.

Ramy

Quote Originally Posted by MiltonHare View Post
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...l6fSUqUM0aoVdf

The Spot trace shows the Duo landing at Lampson around.......sion.
    Milt,
    Thanks for the report.
    For those of us that aren't able to check the SPOT page fast enough, the image and data is often gone by the time we click on the link to the SPOT page.
    I didn't get to see it in time.

As a suggestion to anyone posting links to a spot page, keep in mind that the image will be gone in a short time, so it would be helpful, if you have the time, to make a snip of the page and post the image, along/ or in place of - the link, here on the Forum ..... thanks.
    Peter Kelly