Thread: Fun Wave Day on Monday, December 2nd!

Fun Wave Day on Monday, December 2nd!

After my two incredible wave flights with Kempton, I decided it was time for me to try my hand at a solo cross country wave flight. The conditions seemed right to me for that day to be yesterday. I set a very modest goal (by Kempton standards) to get in the wave near Goat and run as far north as Alder Springs and yo-yo between the two points and see how many "laps" I could do. Well, the answer was 1!

I climbed to 14,800' at Goat and headed to Snow. Couldn't find anything there, but I noticed that a well defined lenticular had formed just northeast of St. Johns. So I went there and got a nice climb as I slowly progressed north to my goal. The lift dropped off as I got north of Sheet Iron at about 15,500', but I progressed hoping to reconnect. No luck. So I returned to the last known good lift and this time climbed to 17,000' before running north again on a different path. Still no luck. So I returned and climbed back up to 17,000' for my third, and final try (this was all very time consuming as the winds were 290-300 at 60-70 knots!). This time I flew a little slower and found a less "sinky" path, but still no lift. Success! I made it farther north than Alder Springs and just about as far north as Black Butte.

I returned to the gas station and climbed back to 17,000' and headed back to Goat to complete lap #1! I knew that I would not be attempting a second lap. I arrived at 15,000' and still had some time before I needed to return home, so I decided to go out to High Valley. Once there I decided to cross Clear Lake to another well defined lenticular in the lee of Mount Konocti. I just verified that the lift was where I expected and then I headed home. I stopped briefly at wave clouds that were forming as I approached just south of Walker Ridge to warm my hands in the sun! 5 hours of great fun for my first solo cross country wave flight! But as Ramy pointed out after the September 29 flights, I guess it really wasn't a cross country flight as I was never below glide back to Williams!

I found the RASP Blip maps to be fairly accurate in terms of wind, lift, and cloud cover predictions. Here are some of the photos I took.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 05a.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	378.8 KB 
ID:	1357

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 08a.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	1358

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 09a.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	1359

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 16a.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	1360

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 18a.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	1361

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 22a.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	334.4 KB 
ID:	1362

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 23a.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	1363

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 33a.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	1364

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 48a.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	1365

Name:	Soaring 13-12-2 67a.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	1366

Here it is on OLC:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=3431387

A big thanks to Kempton for his mentoring on the two flights I shared with him. I put a lot of what I learned with him to use yesterday!

Pat
    Last edited by Pat Alford; 12-03-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Re: Fun Wave Day on Monday, December 2nd!

Wow - nice report, Pat! Great photos too. It's really a feeling of accomplishment to put some of the skills you learn flying dual to work and find out they do work, isn't it? I love doing that.
    I personally love flying wave - I love the smooth lift, looking down on the clouds, trying to reach other parts of the wave by skirting down the edges - but first discovering where the edges really are! I have never been on a "long distance" wave flight, but have flown in developing conditions, waited it out, and then gotten high and COLD, then cruised downwind. It always feels so good to turn around and warm up by flying into the sun.
    Congratulations on a great flight - thanks for sharing it!
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Quote Originally Posted by Ginny Farnsworth View Post
    Wow - nice report, Pat! Great photos too. It's really a feeling of accomplishment to put some of the skills you learn flying dual to work and find out they do work, isn't it? I love doing that.
    Thanks, Ginny!

I completely agree with you about the skills you learn flying dual. And Kempton is an excellent pilot to learn from!

Pat
    Last edited by Pat Alford; 12-06-2013 at 12:23 AM.

I've updated my blog of glider flights from Williams with a post covering last Monday's wave flight.

You can see it here:
    http://williamssoaring.blogspot.com/...ve-flight.html

Pat