Thread: End of day - VSA Dinner and Seminar # 1 - 2014

End of day - VSA Dinner and Seminar # 1 - 2014

As the day closes on the first dinner and seminar of 2014, we have flown, we have shared stories, we have eaten, and we have been enlightened by the presentations of our talented guest speakers.

Peter Kelly gave a picture presentation which included a couple of "then" and "now" photos of his years in the air as well as some beautiful shots (and narration) of some local ridge soaring.

Kempton Izuno and Jim Darke gave a presentation on maps and approach to flying out to the coast on wave days. Jim showed his work in progress on combining RASP, land maps, and flight traces....... for future such trips.

VSA officers were elected/re-elected. Ginny Farnsworth has accepted another year as President; Pat Alford was nominated, seconded, and has accepted the position of Vice President; Frank Peale will remain Treasurer; and I will continue to serve as Secretary.

A hearty thank you to all who helped put this together!! As always, there were many hands involved...... from getting it organized to the donation of food, not to mention all the help setting up, cooking, and cleaning up after. The big bonus this time was having the new gas stove hooked up (the latest addition to our VSA kitchen - 8 burners and dual ovens). There were many hands involved in that project as well. Thanks again to everyone for your continued support and participation!!

What a great day this has been!!
    Cora J Knowles
    Secretary
    Valley Soaring Association

Re: End of day - VSA Dinner and Seminar # 1 - 2014

Cora,

I couldn't agree with you more! It was a great day! I had so much fun flying (although I nearly froze to death!). Knowing that there was a nice hot meal waiting on the ground kept me going! And the presentations were very informational and fun too! But I do feel like there was a conspiracy to nominate and elect me to VP of the VSA! Why do I say that? Well, at the conclusion of the festivities I cought up with Ginny in the kitchen. Our conversation went like this:

Me: So Ginny, what does the VP of the VSA do?

Ginny: Well, see that stack of dirty dishes right there?

Me: Yeah.

Ginny: See that sink and soap over there?

Me: Yep.

Ginny: See this dish towel right here?

Me: Uh huh.

Ginny: <blink, blink>

Me: <blink, blink>

Ginny: Welcome to the VSA!

Thanks to all who hoodwinked, er I mean nominated and voted for me!

Pat

Pat,

Having observed your activities at WSC over the past four or five months, and having finally met you in person this past weekend, I can tell you that you will not regret your decision to serve the soaring community.

I am sure many others will agree, there is a strong sense of satisfaction when you contribute to the community. Thank you for agreeing to serve. Being the VP is mostly just a lead in job to becoming familiar with how the VSA functions, but you will enjoy it.

I can send you by laws, etc, since I probably still have current versions, unless of course that Ginny tell us that by-laws have been revised sometime in the past few years.
    Peter Kelly

Peter,

Thanks, that is very kind of you! But I found this page on the VSA website that contains the by-laws:

http://www.valleysoaring.net/?page_id=112

At the bottom of the page it says:

These By Laws are effective as of June 15, 2006

So unless you have a more current version to send along, I think I am good there!

BTW, I read the by-laws and I could not find anything in them that alluded to the Vice President being the designated event/gathering dishwasher!

Pat

You're correct Pat - that is the latest version I have also. I had forgotten I had posted them to that page.
    Peter Kelly

OK - hold everything here.
    Pat - I don't remember that scenario - what I remember is how graciously you offered to help out! (BTW - you should see what the bylaws say about the president's responsibilities for the parties and dinners...)

So - let's clarify things -
    1) It's always OK for the VP to offer to do the dishes.
    2) The outgoing VP is usually designated to cut the turkey. (Thanks, Luke!!)
    3) You were definitely nominated for your passion, skill, enthusiasm, new ideas, and dedication to the sport of Soaring and your frequent, enthusiastic presence at WSC.
    4) Will start a new thread soon (am on vacation in Hawaii now and have to go swimming) to discuss where we are going this coming year, what ideas the membership has for programs, the race etc.

The bottom line...
    Thanks for accepting the Vice Presidency, Pat, you are a great addition to our team at VSA and WSC. I look forward to working with you over the next year (or 2, or 5...)

BTW - the VP (or Treasurer, or Secretary, or Web Master, or anyone else who is inspired) can start a thread with any ideas, suggestions, etc. about our course for the coming year. You don't have to wait for me!

I love these recent discussions on the web. Even though I'm not getting a lot of hours soaring, my mind is soaking all this up. Thanks for all who are participating in the discussions.

Aloha and mahalo...
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association