Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 VSA Race Series

2014 VSA Race Series

Ladies and gentlemen, start your.... Er, wait a minute. Ladies and gentlemen, get in your gliders and launch!

The 2014 cross country soaring season is fast approaching! Kempton has even postulated that this coming weekend, March 15-16, may provide some favorable soaring conditions. And according to this page on the VSA Website, 2014 VSA Race, the first race day is scheduled for March 22!

I posed a few questions to Ginny on the thread about the March 22 dinner and seminar specifically about that first race day. Namely, is that race happening and has a CD been designated?

But questions about the overall 2014 VSA Race Series remain.

- Is there enough interest within the VSA community to hold a race series this year?
    - Does someone wish to volunteer to coordinate the race series this year if there is sufficient interest in holding one?
    - Are there specific ideas anyone wants incorporated into the race series? (e.g. A race to Montague or Crazy Creek as part of a safari.)
    - Other questions I'm not thinking of due to lack of experience...........

So let us know, either by replying to this thread or by PM to me/Ginny, your answers to the questions above.

Thanks!
    Pat

Re: 2014 VSA Race Series

Same issues as usual. Thanks for posting Pat.
    A month or so ago Ginny asked me to up date the Race page for 2014 and I got right on it... and there you have it - the VSA 2014 Race page.
    If someone wants to be CD and doesn't care for the framework I provided or the loose rules that I posted ( all based on last year's experiences), just tell me what you would like me to post and I'll stick it up there.

All I need is an email from someone who plans to be the CD and I will alter the Race 2014 page accordingly.
    Tell me what you plan to do.

In years past, we found it most helpful if the pilots had some idea of the race structure prior to the morning meeting. Without a structure, I have observed that many pilot will not involve themselves in a "race".

As for me, I would like to race this year, on the days I'm around, and when there is a rental ship available.
    I suspect others will race if we have a plan, and it's a good flying day.
    There really isn't a need for a commitment before hand - people just need to show up.
    I suspect that if we ever have a race series scheduled, and they are good flying days, but people don't choose to race, then that will answer the question about whether or not there is enough interest. Pilots that participate in races only do so, if they want to. I don't believe anyone feels pressure to "have to race" just because they show up on a scheduled race day. Let's leave at that - is my suggestion.

Pat has OJ this time around, but there may be more opportunities for me to race as the season progresses.
    Peter Kelly

Peter,

Thanks for your response. And thanks even more so for setting up the framework for this year's race season! Which brings up a good point that I should have mentioned in my original post. We (Ginny and I) don't believe that it would entail a huge effort on the part of someone who would be willing to volunteer to coordinate the race series. And that is in no small part due to the efforts that you have already put into setting up a framework!

What we (the VSA) need in that role (let's call it Race Coordinator) is someone to come up with a schedule for the rest of the 2014 season and ensure that a CD is designated for each race day. The CD could be the Race Coordinator him/herself, or it could be someone else that has been coordinated with.

As for OJ, I have no intention of racing that day. So I am willing to give it up to you, or anyone else for that matter, who would like to race in it (assuming there is a race) as long as I can schedule another glider to get some BOTG (Butt Off The Ground) time! I just looked at the schedule and there is still time available in the ASK-21 and the ASK-23 and I'd be happy to switch to either. Just let me know.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Alford View Post
    Peter,

someone to come up with a schedule for the rest of the 2014 season and ensure that a CD is designated for each race day.

As for OJ, I am willing to give it up to you
    Pat
    Thanks Pat.
    I'll fly OJ, you fly the Duo.
    I'll be the CD on the 22nd, if there is a race.
    I may not be there for all of the other race days, so we'll leave the other days open.

On Saturday 22nd, we'll take a poll of those present and see if we can agree on a schedule.
    That may determine if there will be a series or not.

The CD may just be whoever is available each time - if we can agree on the framework.
    Peter Kelly

Peter,

That's fantastic! Thanks for volunteering to be the CD on the 22nd. I think your idea of coming up with a schedule as a group is a great idea. That would mean that if anyone wanted to volunteer to be the Race Coordinator (not necessarily an official title, just one I came up with in the earlier post for the sake of the discussion) for the 2014 season, all they would have to do is make sure a CD is designated for each race day. That makes the job that much easier!

Here's a thought. How about if the group not only decided on a schedule, but also figured out who would be CD for each race? Maybe everyone who wishes to participate in the races has to agree to take a turn as the CD? Just throwing the idea out there. If the group could come up with a schedule of race days and a designated CD for each race, the job of the "Race Coordinator" would be complete!

Pat

Pat and All,
    It has been my experience that getting a group to do anything like organizing a schedule takes more time and frustration. Best if one person proposes a schedule solicits comments for 24 hours and then sets the schedule.
    Thanks for jumping in here.
    Rex

Thanks for taking the ball and running with it Pat and Peter! It is so nice to have Pat's enthusiasm and organizational skills and Peter's experience and passion for soaring put together.
    I suppose that as Prez, I should have gotten more actively involved with the race, but this is an activity that we have always been fortunate to have Peter, "PK" heavily involved with. Thank you for all you contribute, Peter, at many levels.

That said, as we set a schedule, we need to have some volunteer CD's.
    Peter has done a nice job with getting the web page together, so the information on the race is posted.

We ARE racing on March 22.

Stay tuned for more details!
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Mayes View Post
    Pat and All,
    It has been my experience that getting a group to do anything like organizing a schedule takes more time and frustration. Best if one person proposes a schedule solicits comments for 24 hours and then sets the schedule.
    Thanks for jumping in here.
    Rex
    Rex makes a good point.
    Here is a schedule - adapted from last year -
    but I am not going to coordinate further or set the schedule.

Saturday March 22 VSA Race Day 1
    Saturday April 5 – Race Day
    Saturday April 19 – Race Day - Day before Easter
    Saturday May 17 – Race Day, maybe depends on WSC Doc Mayes contest schedue
    Saturday June 7 – Race Day
    Saturday September 20 – Race Day
    Saturday October 11 – Maybe, depends on WSC schedule - Race Day and Oktoberfest

Pat, maybe Ginny will assign you the task of finalizing the official race schedule for 2014.
    I'll take a bit of coordination to sort this out on Saturday

Seems like a better job - and one you are more suited to - than washing dishes
    Peter Kelly

We have a little feedback here on the race for the season. Minimal feedback on the schedule, so this is what
    I propose. It can be altered if there is sufficient feedback, otherwise this is what we will go with.

We have one scheduled event that is VSA sponsored for April, which is a dinner seminar on Saturday April 12. The post for this will go up the first of next week. Speakers will be Sergio Colacevich and Pat Alford. It is hard for the people involved in putting on an event to race on the day of the event. Since Sergio and I usually race if we are here, I don't think we should race that day. The Doc Mayes contest happens in May at WSC most years. There is a possible event at Crazy Creek in May this year, and the Avenal contest.
    Some of us have expressed interest in going to Montague in July and possibly August.

I looked at the summer contest schedule for local events and national events that I know our pilots are involved in. There are a couple of things in May and the Nationals in June/July.

If there is anything I missed, please chime in.

In addition, many pilots who are not racing have expressed interest in having weekend BBQ's and general flight review after weekend flying. We can do this.

With all that taken into consideration, here is a proposed schedule:
    We will finalize it on Saturday 3/22, which is Race Day 1.
    Currently we are going forward on good faith, as we still need a CD every day but Sat 3/22, and Scorer for each race day including 3/22.
    Thank you PK for volunteering to CD on March 22.

VSA Race Series Schedule for 2014
    Saturday March 22
    Saturday April 26
    Saturday August 23
    Saturday September 13

Respectfully submitted...
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Quote Originally Posted by Ginny Farnsworth View Post
    Currently we are going forward on good faith, as we still need a CD every day but Sat 3/22, and Scorer for each race day including 3/22.
    Thank you PK for volunteering to CD on March 22.

VSA Race Series Schedule for 2014
    Saturday March 22
    Saturday April 26
    Saturday August 23
    Saturday September 13

Respectfully submitted...
    Ginny,

I'd like to volunteer to be the Scorer for this Saturday. That is, assuming someone is willing to show me how to run the scoring software!

Pat