Thread: Sunday 3/30 flying

Sunday 3/30 flying

I think everybody sees the postfrontal in Sunday but nobody says anything so I will be the first:

A postfrontal day - with many clouds and occasional sprinkles - is forecasted for Sunday and I plan to go flying (unless the weather changes a lot). Should be a good run to Vacaville and back and more, depending on the actual cloud height

Sergio

Re: Sunday 3/30 flying

I saw it and planning on flying too unless the weather changes a lot. The national weather service is forescasting a 20% chance of showers before 11 AM, followed by partly sunny skies. Looks like it could be good post frontal soaring.
    Luke

7V will be there.

G3 would like a tow, please.
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Nice cu over Vaca Ridge at 1030 this morning. I'll be attending a little league function this afternoon. Have a funny feeling I'll be paying more attention to the sky than the ball field. Hope to see and hear (on radio) some action around Nut Tree Airport.

Sunday turned out to be a pretty good day! I convinced Kenny to come out and fly with me in the Duo. We had hoped to make it down to Lake Berryessa, but a huge rainstorm blocked our path on our first opportunity, and weak conditions south of Rumsey Gap thwarted our second attempt. We met up with Pete (98) near Rumsey Gap as we retreated north.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soaring 14-3-30 07a.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	1557

Name:	Soaring 14-3-30 11a.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	1559

Our flight trace is posted to OLC here:
    http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=3507636

Pat

I just wanted to share with everyone an observation I made Sunday. I released at 4000' about 11:30 AM over Charters and obviously saw the nice looking clouds on the east side of the Cortina ridge, just south of the highway 20 gap. But the bases looked low, probably just above 3000', so I decided to keep flying west to see if there was anything else. I figured I could always return to the low clouds on my return to the valley, if necessary. There was no workable lift halfway between Antelope and Bear valley, so I turned around and went towards the highway 20 gap and committed to Antelope. I found a a knot or so just west of the gap, over the lower terrain and kept working it. It became 2, then 3, and before long I was well above 4000' and above the lower clouds to the east. They were classic step clouds, and I was west of the crest of the Cortina ridge. So I got off to a good start, and I think everyone stayed on the east side of the Cortina ridge and struggled. And as I think everyone knows, when you get a good start, things are a lot easier. So for the rest of the flight, I went to to Vaca towers, committed to Pope Valley, then Crazy Creek, on up to the Lampson airport, crossed Clearlake and committed to high valley where I nearly landed, and then finally arrived above Indian Valley strip where there was a nice thermal to 5500'. I went down to Rumsey Gap where 98 and MG were marking a nice thermal, and then returned to Williams. It was a really fun day and as always, I learned a lot. Unfortunately my flight recorder stopped recording over the Cortina ridge, so I cannot post the flight, but trust me, it was a fun day.Luke

Luke,

Great flight and great report! I learn a lot from reviewing others' flight traces and reading their post-flight reports. So thanks for sharing!

And although your flight recorder stopped working, your Spot did not! Here's your Spot trace (included with your prior permission).

Name:	14-3-30 (Luke).jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	1560

Congrats on a nice flight!
    Pat