Thread: Video cameras and gliders

Video cameras and gliders

Video Cameras in Gliders
    (helmet cams)

----------------
    Contour
    small, can be mounted outside of the cockpit
    lots of variations on frames per second, resolutoin of the movie, size of the recording, and wide angle lens
    Has GPS built into it, so it displays your altitude and speed along side of the movie when you play it back.
    For people with smart phones, it may have an app that will let you control the camera using a bluetooth remote control.

cost about $299 - this may be the one that Larry Roberts has.

http://contour.com/

I went to target on-line- about $350- and ended up here on this link....
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...-cpc-_-product

at costco - about $300- it was here...
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...US&Sp=C&topnav=

------------------
    Go Pro

I read that Ramy used a Go Pro camera to make that video of his flight across the Golden Gate
    but I don't know which model Ramy used.
    There is a model 960 for about $200.
    costco no longer carries it but here is a costo page showing it...
    http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11607...ws/reviews.htm

On some dive pages I saw positive wirte ups on the Go Pro 960 Hero Model.
    Here's a guy at Chino ca in his corvette...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oETV-Pg0X5I

Here's the gopro promotional video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3M6...eature=related

I can see why lots of glider pilots are buying that model.

------------------------
    Micro Cameras
    I bought 3 of these cameras at about $34 each.
    At that price they included a small MICRO SD card, but the battery is the limitation - it gives you about 45 minutes of recording, and the battery dies.
    No remote control for on and off
    low quality, etc.
    Here is the place I bought mine...
    http://www.themicrocamera.com:80/

I've used them four times and am still trying to create my first video - that would be worth showing to others.

I need to arrive at a workable solution for documenting glider flights before our trip to New Mexico in May. Jim Darke is putting a lot of time and effort into getting us ready for the trip and I need to have the right equipment so that I can share the flight with all of you here in VSA - if the flight actualy happens. It will take some good weather.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 03-21-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Video cameras and gliders

Mallory and I have been playing with video cameras for acro. We have tried the Microcamera808 types. Great fun. Very small, but very poor quality control
    I just purchased the ContourHD 1080 for $249 on Amazon. Very nice camera. Nice mount system. But contrary to Peter's guess, no remote app.
    Guy Acheson
    DDS and 59

There are two ( or more) versions of the contour.
    The one with the GPS model is different that the 1080p model.
    it's also hd and it tracks location, speed, and elevation.- the info about the coming bluetooth app is on the web site. the app is still not out yet. besides - I still don't have a smart phone anyhow.

I didn't know the micro camera was called an 808, but it looks like the model that I have also - the microcamera-808.
    I agree about the poor quality control on that model.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 03-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Peter Kelly

I don't know why anybody would mess around with the GoPro 960 when the full GoPro HD camera is only $80 or so (maybe less on the street?) more. The 960 does up to 1280960p (4:3) or 1280720p pixels (16:9), while the full HD version does 19201080p (all numbers at 30 fps). If you want to be "HD" you might as well try to get close to HD widescreen resolution (and I think widescreen will works well in a cockpit). Anyhow thats what I'll probably buy.
    Darryl Ramm - ASH-26E - 6DX

I was hot to buy the contour gps model from costco for $299, but then a review came in - thankfully.

No stabilization. This may or may not be a problem on a fixed mount on the ship.
    GPS info only displays on the software they provide. So maybe that won't be as useful as I imagined.
    Their display software may or may not be a problem - I can't tell yet.
    It's a fixed focus lens, but it rotates. I don't know why it rotates.
    I can't tell if it is always a 135 degree wide angle lens or does it narrow down to something less.
    Guess I'll keep my wallet closed until I find more info about how this thing works.
    Peter Kelly

I can answer you questions on the ContourHD. Image stabilization is not needed. I have taken shots with the camera taped to the wingtip, the inboard wing, the horizontal stab, the nose, the top of the instrument panel, and more. Planes without engines do not vibrate. At least as long as you fly below Vne.
    The lens rotates so that you can have a horizontal shot no matter how the camera is positioned when you mount it. You cannot fine tune the position of the camera when using duct tape.
    The lens is a fixed 135 degree angle lens, but there is very little fisheye effect.
    I will have examples when I come to the airport. If it ever stops raining! AcroFest I will be there for sure.
    Guy Acheson
    DDS and 59

Very helpful info Guy, thank you.
    Peter Kelly

Regarding the GoPro, although the 1080 is only $80 more than the 960 as Darryl says, it is almost 50% more expensive, and almost everyone who buy the 1080 shoots at 720 anyway since the files are much smaller and more managable and the quality is almost the same, so why pay $80 extra if you are not going to use it? Also my understanding is that at 1080 you don't get the full 170 degrees wide angle from some reason. I find the 960 to be a fantastic camera (although the user interface sucks).

Ramy