Thread: Sunday Flying - A booming spring day

Sunday Flying - A booming spring day

Ray-7V started a thread for Saturday and it was a good day, but the next day was even better.

On Sunday Ray flew down to Vacaville and then back up to T-16 and home again.

Luke-SD tagged along with Ray, got behind a bit (easy to do, following Ray) but then flew the same track and even added another hour or so of flying - logging over 500 km for the day!

Kelvyn-KF in his beautiful ASH-31 flew about the same as Ray, and I was able to fly (in the ASW24-OJ) with KF for quite a while. Some very enjoyable flying.

Coming south past Tree Farm area I almost bumped into Ramy-TG - (not quite, but within a 1/4 mile) - sure glad we all use FLARM. Ramy had come across the Delta at Rio Vista, turned St John and then headed south again. An unusual feat nearly unheard of B.R. (Before Ramy). Yes, many of us have made the trip and some a lot further, but these flights across the delta (and back again!) are becoming routine for Ramy.

Ginny-G3 had a good day flying Walker to Sutter Buttes and then north-south under a nice line of clouds over I-5. Take a look (on OLC)
    ( http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=3653703 )
    at her super save at 22:40z (3:40 PM), where she was down to 1000 feet just north of WSC and climbed out, flying for another 1.5 hours longer after that. Way to fly Ginny.

For those pilots who are still under the watchful eye of an instructor, and just taking the initial steps to enjoy soaring (rather than gliding and doing air work and patterns), this posting will remind you of why you are putting all that work into learning to fly. I find it hard to imagine anything more enjoyable than Soaring cross country on a day like this! With WSC now having two high performance ASW24's available (glide ratio of about 44 to 1), pilots certainly have opportunities that in past history, were rarely afforded to pilots anywhere else in the world.

Here are a couple of graphics:

First Ramy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fly-ramy-5-18.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1660

and then Luke...

Name:	fly-luke-5-18.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	1661
    Peter Kelly

Re: Sunday Flying - A booming spring day

It was an awesome Sunday for soaring. It was interesting that the mountains and the valley were both working, and there were several convergence lines moving about throughout the day. Beautiful clouds!

It took me about an hour to get high enough to get out of the valley and out to Walker, and there was quite a rotor (never did find the lift) on the east side of Walker Ridge with 20+ kt winds from the west. Seemed there should have been some wave, guess I didn't go far enough to find it.

Quite a group out soaring, and it was all done from valley tows!

Thanks to everyone at WSC for a great weekend!
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Re: Sunday Flying - A booming spring day

I made a couple of graphics for the flights on Sunday, using See You (visit the site to get a free trial use of the software --- http://www.naviter.com/products/seeyou/ )
    I strongly recommend that all pilots who are serious about becoming better soaring pilots learn how to use the See You software. It is a very helpful learning tool.

Here is a view of that terrific climb out that Ginny made ...

Name:	g3-.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	1664

here is where we all were at 3:56 PM

TG- Ramy
    SD1-Luke
    KF - Kelvyn
    23JR - Me, Peter

Name:	1556 hrs.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	1665

I mentioned earlier in this post that Ramy and I crossed paths.
    Here we are at 3:48 PM
    Ramy in Red and me in light blue. We had visual contact with each other at this point.

Name:	1548 hrs.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	1666

As we pass each other a few second later, you can see we are within 20 feet of each other in altitude, and we cross within a few hundred feet.

Name:	1549 hrs.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1667

And, OLC now has a new feature - called - MeetingPoint. You can see when you were within 1/2 mile and within 1,000 feet of another glider.

See more words and a link in the VSA OLC Page... http://www.valleysoaring.net/?page_id=302

Here is a see you image showing where we all were at 2:51 PM
    Luke, Kelvyn and I all flew together from north of Capay Valley up to the M6 turn point.

Name:	1451 hrs.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	1668
    Peter Kelly