Thread: Weekend soaring 7/20/2014

Weekend soaring 7/20/2014

Interesting weather this weekend. Got here Sat night, and it was cool, broken clouds, SE light breeze - perfect for camping (especially without any ants!!) Sun AM remained cool, humid, intermittent showers, with no accumulation of rain. Instruction and sightseeing rides going on here on the field. At about 1 PM, it was clear to the n Charlie helped me put on those bright white wings, and I took a tow over the field, thinking there might be some lift (loose interpretation of the RASP). Nice sight seeing flight to Maxwell and back, not much lift, not much sink - one turn, 180 degrees at Maxwell to come home!

En-route, I did notice a big wind shift at about 3,000 feet from SE down low, to WSW above 3,000 ft. I was seeing average of 20 + knots at 3500 ft from the SW on my first flight, so I took another tow to the Highway 20 gap at the Cortina Ridge. Noelle, in the tow plane, felt the wave first, and I released in some weak, but sweet, consistent lift. It was a slow climb in a little wave, but a challenging climb, so I enjoyed it. Flew out to Walker, where there were thermals, then north. I noted a fire at the end of the X-Roads ridge, and the aerial fire fighters were on it, so I came back home.

Nice weekend, nice flight - Thanks to all who were here to make it possible!

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=3912868

See you on the field soon!
    Ginny Farnsworth G3
    Past President
    Valley Soaring Association

Re: Weekend soaring 7/20/2014

Nice flight, Ginny! Glad you were able to do battle with the air instead of the ants! Thanks for sharing!

Pat