Thread: Flying this February-March weekend

Flying this February-March weekend

Since nobody says it, I will:

This weekend straddling two months looks the first flyable weekend of the 2015 season. For tomorrow Dr. Jack and the Williams RASP map are as always in great disagreement, but if we have the average of the two as often happens we will have clouds, decent lift (or great if compared to the last three months) and altitude sufficient to fly up to the Yolla Bolly peak.

Sunday should be flyable too by thermalling and plus there is the Kempton promise of dynamic activity.... I am going to fly tomorrow and I will consider staying there on Sunday too

Sergio

Re: Flying this February-March weekend

Sergio,
    My apologies to you and other readers.
    I hijacked Kempton's thread about Wave on Sunday...
    https://www.williamssoaring.com/news/...%29-Wave-Watch

Since Kempton mentioned me specifically in the opening of that thread, I felt an obligation to come clean on my intentions. I scheduled myself to fly tomorrow (Saturday) with Noelle, last Monday morning at 9 AM. Even then I could see this Saturday was going to be a good day.
    Tomorrow will be a boomer, that's for sure.
    Jim and Key were unable to make it due to other things.

Some wind shift giving us a stronger north wind than previously forecasted in the early AM, but a noon takeoff will be fine.
    Peter Kelly

I am the one apologizing now, Peter

I did not realize that there was a discussion going on in the "Sunday" thread, enlarged to the Saturday. Anyway, I wanted to spread the word sending out a signal in the sky - like the Batman image

Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Sergio,
    My apologies to you and other readers.
    I hijacked Kempton's thread about Wave on Sunday...
    https://www.williamssoaring.com/news/...%29-Wave-Watch

Since Kempton mentioned me specifically in the opening of that thread, I felt an obligation to come clean on my intentions. I scheduled myself to fly tomorrow (Saturday) with Noelle, last Monday morning at 9 AM. Even then I could see this Saturday was going to be a good day.
    Tomorrow will be a boomer, that's for sure.
    Jim and Key were unable to make it due to other things.

Some wind shift giving us a stronger north wind than previously forecasted in the early AM, but a noon takeoff will be fine.

Sergio,

Yes, the origin of the Sunday thread was merely an alert to the possibilities here at Gotham City.

It was a shout of "Holy Wave Lift Batman", but not from a cut-off low

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat-sig.PNG 
Views:	175 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	2210

I could see we might be yelling "Holy Cumulus" on Saturday, Yikes, there is a thunderstorm alert as well. But I explained all that on the "other" thread.

On Friday afternoon I noticed on the schedule the Luke had notified WSC that he wanted to take a tow on Saturday, and Franz is flying the Duo. Will you be wanting to take a tow also Sergio? You better phone....
    Peter Kelly

I decided to stay home and fly vicariously today. Looks like there should be an interesting story.

Ramy

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	2214Yes it was good soaring from Williams today. It likely would have been difficult to go south, but I went north in the general direction of one Sergio C2 who launched earlier. It was a bit windy but still possible to thermal and the northerly / slightly northeasterly wind direction allowed ridge soaring along the spine of Goat, St. Johns and the other east / west ridges. I could not get above 5500' around M3, eventhough C2 reported 7500' east of Eagle and then Yolla. So I turned around, made it up to Black Butte and snapped some photos. It was quite beautiful because it had just been dusted by snow. I think Sergio needed a rest because he landed at Benton airport northwest of Redding. He took a tow back to Williams and eventually landed, still wearing his sunglasses.

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	2213

Flying for me was too challenging yesterday, yet two of our most accomplished pilots did manage to fly long and far (the same can be said for the flights last weekend, accomplished by pilots Ramy, Tom and Kempton).

As illustrated on the SPOT graphic, I stayed local and logged a couple of hours, but admit I was feeling poorly.
    Off tow a mile or two north of Antelope Valley, I went to the north end of Bear Valley (BV), and lingered for a long time in the Charters (C) - Maxwell area.

Name:	pk-flt-2-28.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	2215

Luke and Sergio were not, in my opinion taking undue risks. They were confident in their ability to predict where they would find lift. The proof that their confidence and judgment was well founded is that, given the time of year, they flew long and far, quite successfully.

Congrats to both on enjoying good flights on the last day of February - hardly prime month for soaring in our part of the world.

Yesterday was a good example of the disparity between pilots (SD and C2 versus myself). Even more apparent to me, is the disparity within one pilot's viewpoint of one day compared to another - given the same conditions on each day. Yesterday was an example of how I sometimes have the confidence to proceed, while on another day, given the same conditions, I hold back and choose not to venture forth. I've flown on many a day when others chose not to complete an assigned task because the lift did not appear to be strong enough to support such a task on that day. The Oktober Fest 2014 Contest comes to mind as a recent example for local pilots here at WSC.

Many a time, I have seen this same behavior in many a pilot, just as most all other pilots have witnessed such behavior over the years. So what is this aspect of glider flying all about. Why do we have these variations in our own judgement as pilots? This question is a very serious and important issue that should carefully be reviewed by every pilot. It is certainly a good point for a discussion panel, but we would need a moderator of the "George Stephanopoulos Standard" in order to discuss such a topic - if we want it to be successful. Every glider pilot who attempts to fly cross country in a glider and initially finds pleasure and reward in doing so, seeks the answer to this question.
    Peter Kelly

Nice flights from Hollister and Byron on Sunday!