Thread: Practice and Water Ballast

Practice and Water Ballast

Some might find these to be interesting stats.
    Flew two days in a row. Basically the same route each day.
    Day 1 I had water ballast, which allowed me to fly about 8 knots faster on Day 1, yet maintain the same glide ratio - L/D. So I was able fly faster on Day 1, given the same loss loss of altitude during such glides.

The Thermals were somewhat stronger and higher on Day 2, which would naturally produce a faster speed, but the convergence line was less well defined on Day 2, which caused less flying in a line of continuous lift.

Bottom line..

Total time on each flight
    1. 2 hrs + 58 min
    2. 2 hrs + 32 min

Using a task of Goat to T-15 and then to WSC it required 13 thermals on Day 1.
    On Day 2, it required only 12.

I did need to visit Yolla Peak on Day 2, due to the task called on this contest day, but it was a very similar track. Which brings me to the other point. If you want to learn how to fly better/ faster, and therefore further distances, there is no substitution for practice, and recent practice at that.

As for speeds on the simple task of Goat, T-15, WSC...
    Day 2 was different: I was concentrating on flying the best I could and I wasn't measuring diameters of my thermal turns, etc.
    On day 2, I was intent on making the fastest final glide back to WSC, arriving at the minimum altitude, thus, when I was climbing in my last thermal before I started my final glide, I calculated my glide. I increased the McCready setting to 6 knots, and it said I would have almost 2,000 ft extra when I arrived home some 50 odd miles or so away. So I made a straight glide to WSC from south of Black Butte.

Bottom line on Speeds:
    Day 1. I did the task at 59.96 MPH... but keep in mind that the final glide also included we were the practicing of formation flying and various maneuvers both on our way home and in the terminal area.
    Day 2. The Speed was 78.56 MPH.
    I will attach the two flight logs in case anyone wants to study them.
    here are the two graphics from See You.
    Day 1 17 April on the left, Day 2 on the Right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day 1- 4- 17.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	2345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day-2-4-18.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	2346

2015-04-17-NKL-0UB-01.IGC2015-04-18-NKL-0UB-01.IGC
    Peter Kelly

Smile Re: Practice and Water Ballast

[QUOTE=Peter Kelly;4023]S

I was never interested too much in the number of thermals I used, but tried to get my thermaling time down to around 15%, what was your thermaling time on these two days?

Re: Practice and Water Ballast

[QUOTE=Garykemp;4024]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    S

I was never interested too much in the number of thermals I used, but tried to get my thermalling time down to around 15%, what was your thermalling time on these two days?
    First off - nice to hear from you. Hope life is treating you well. Today was a nice day as PK was here flying the last two days, for the first time in years. He and 7V are both doing well. Of course 7V won today's race as expected. JJ was out yesterday too.

Yes, I was paying attention to % of time circling back when you first pointed that out to me well before you retired, and then, flying the 18 meter ASH26 after you left, I was able to get it down to less than 10 % on several occasions. It is always more difficult to have a low % with a smaller and lighter ship, but still fun to try. Additionally, some days the convergence lines are much better than others, so that would be a direct correlation to % of time circling.

I find See You to be suspicious on that % figure on these two flights. I look at the stats for flight, THEN assign the task and look at the stats for the task the % of time circling doesn't change. I find that to be strange. Not sure I was manipulating See You correctly, to be honest.

The % of time spent circling on the first flight, Day 1, on 17 April was 22 % circling.
    Day 2 (today) it was 17 %.

The percent of time circling is good info Gary, especially for our newer pilots. It's a metric we don't often talk about. It is good to discuss these various methods for measuring a well flown glider flight.

BTW, I wasn't particularly bragging about the number of thermals used on either flight. we have all been up to T-16 and back on just three or four thermals. This discussion was meant to illustrate the comparative differences - contrasting a racing flight with a non-racing flight... and underscoring that practice is what makes you fly better.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Practice and Water Ballast

Thanks for the reply Peter, I am always interested in what the Williams fleet is doing. I am looking forward to following the guys tomorrow. This time of year I miss my gliding friends more than usual.

gary "NK"