Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Day - April 8, 2017

Race Day - April 8, 2017

April 8th will be the second race day of the 2017 season.

See results of the first race day here -
    https://www.williamssoaring.com/news...-March-25-2017

See schedule of race days and the "rules" on the VSA web page here - http://www.valleysoaring.net/race/2017-races/
    After the first race day, the rules were once again revised, and will continue to be revised, as needed, as coordinated here on this Forum. Latest revision: 3/26/2017 12:00 PM.

Any pilot even possibly interested in participating in the races are encouraged to join the discussion here on the Forum. John C is proving to be a good leader at the race day pilot meeting, and is patient in explaining details. Not overbearing, ready to explain, and flexible in agreeing to the task.

Few, if any of us, are preparing to sign up for any SSA Sanctioned Race this season (or ever), but a lot of trial and error has been put into the SSA rules that exist, so they serve as a departure point and a standard from which we draw. I believe the less experienced pilots saw enough of the race structure on this first day, to appreciate that the races will be a lot of fun this year -especially if we ever get a good flying day. As we each view our participation in the next race day as a destination, we realize that the journey towards the next race is both exciting and attractive.
    Peter Kelly

Re: Race Day - April 8, 2017

Race Day #2 - April 8, 2017

RSVP as of 4/7/2017 11:45

Darke, Jim
    Dismukes, Key
    Gaechter, Tony & Nancy
    Kelly, Peter
    Knowles, Cora
    Mayes, Rex & Noelle
    Roberson, Kerry
    Yanetz, Ramy

Pilots: 5
    Dinner: 9
    Last edited by cjknowles; 04-07-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    Cora J Knowles
    Secretary
    Valley Soaring Association

Alas I'm out of town on a business trip. I can score if people send me traces by email. john dot cochrane at stanford dot edu

Quote Originally Posted by John Cochrane View Post
    Alas I'm out of town on a business trip. I can score if people send me traces by email. john dot cochrane at stanford dot edu
    That is kind of you to offer John, but I suspect scoring will not be the challenge.

The biggest challenge will be to have one of those 5 minute pilot meeting. You did a nice job on the first one, thank you.
    Still looks rainy for next Saturday.We can always hope the fcst will improve.

EDIT ON SATURDAY, 4/1
    JOHN AND KEMPTON HAD A GOOD WAVE FLIGHT YESTERDAY, SO THIS IS AN EDIT, RATHER THAN A REPLY - AVOIDING PUSHING THIS THREAD TO THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR NOW.

RACE DAY PILOT MEETING MAY NEED TO BE VERY EARLY, MAYBE EVEN ON FRIDAY NIGHT THE 6TH, IF WE ARE GOING TO HAVE AN EARLY LAUNCH ON RACE DAY. IMPRESSIVE WAVE IS SHAPING UP WITH A STRONG AND CONSISTENT WEST WIND AT ALL LEVELS . HOPEFULLY THE SURFACE WINDS WILL ALLOW FOR SAFE TAKEOFF AND LANDING.
    IF FCST CONTINUES, I CAN ENVISION A 30 MILE RADIUS CIRCLE AROUND BESSA TOWERS AND MAYBE A 50 MILE RADIUS AT T-15.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 04-01-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    Peter Kelly

Time for an update - it is Tuesday morning. Four days to Race Day #2. Thomas D will be flying with me.

Fcst for Williams, as of Tuesday morning ...
    The link I used to gather this info:
    https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...ry=Williams,CA

Good chance of rain on Friday.
    Some chance of rain on Saturday
    You can see the wind shift from:
    9 am - SSW at 14 mph
    to
    WSW at 12 mph a few hours later.
    Thus, we can call it post-frontal for Saturday afternoon.
    But, the ground is wet from the rain on Friday, and maybe even from a shower on Saturday morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fcst as of tue.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	3707

On the close up for Saturday (6 am to 9 pm) you can see the wind shift occurs about 10 AM. Partly cloudy is the fcst for the afternoon flying. That would seem to be a good thing... but it's still four days into the future... who knows? but you gotta plan and be ready, just in case it turns out to be a fantastic day.

Name:	sat-only-as of tue.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	3708
    Peter Kelly

You probably are waiting for the weather?
    We might see some very favorable RASP charts tomorrow night.

Fcst for Saturday, on weather underground now (Tuesday night) says it's looking even better!

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...ry=Williams,CA

Name:	sat-tue-night fcst.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	3709
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 04-05-2017 at 04:05 AM.
    Peter Kelly

We plan to be there Saturday morning and I plan to join the race, weather permitting. Nancy & I will be there for dinner. I may stay and fly Sunday if the weather looks good.
    Tony

Thurs, pre-dawn update.
    RASP last night was promising.
    With the wet wx, others may not have the motivation to show up... which is totally understandable.
    I think we should stick with the "rule" that we need 3 , or is it 4?, pilots to have a race.

Tony, I plan to fly, but it's easier for me.
    I'm expecting that it will be a Friday night decision for most other pilots.
    Peter Kelly

Tony, I just checked the "rules", and the final cut of the rules does not have a minimum number of pilots to have a race. So if two pilots fly, then that's a race. That'll be fun. If the post frontal doesn't create too much rain showers, it just may work out. I am forever hopeful.
    Peter Kelly

Just looked at the wsc schedule, no mention of Noelle NOT being present, so if three of us (Jim, Tony, Peter) make up a simple, but realistic task, one of us will be the winner for sure. We'll have one of those 5 minute pilot meetings, and later, maybe Noelle will score it for us.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 04-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    Peter Kelly