Thread: Sun Jun 25 Thermal Watch

Sun Jun 25 Thermal Watch

This Sunday is looking quite strong for the Mendos:
    Name:  gfs_rh_4e_Jun25_crop.png
Views: 258
Size:  71.8 KB as moisture wicks up the Sierra, causing light OD
    Name:  gfs_pres_4e_Jun25_crop.png
Views: 95
Size:  72.5 KB with no precip on the ground, hence the call of light OD...
    Name:  gfs_850_4e_Jun25_Crop.png
Views: 273
Size:  69.3 KB and high bases, perhaps not as high as last Sunday/Monday, but very good. Will watch for Thu night's RASP.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

Re: Sun Jun 25 Thermal Watch

Kemp and Co......Sunday doesn't look that unusual when I look at the rasp etc.....in fact Saturday looks better. What am I missing?
    tim

Kemp I will also add that if you need some ballast....ever....I'm available!
    tim

I agree that Saturday looks (a little) better than Sunday. And to my eyes BLIP confirms it. The only real difference I see is that RASP shows blue Saturday and some clouds north on Sunday where as BLIP is more generous with the cu on both days. The BLIP cloud base looks higher on Saturday than Sunday.

I should say though, Kempton's original post was a few days ago and things can and do change over time.

I'd favor more marked lift vs. punishing yourself in blue, especially not wanting to find yourself polishing rocks in this heat. From that perspective Monday looks slightly better. Slightly higher lift and cloudbases than Sunday. Less chance of OD around Yolla-Hayfork. My concern would be how early can you get started and find lift to get on top of the Mendos. Who wants to take an 11:30am tow to Tree Farm on these days? None of these days look like long soaring days for intersting trips but maybe a chance to mess around on the Mendos. The heat is punishing, be well prepared, rig early, lots of fluids, etc.

Tim,
    Sorry for the late reply.

Was thinking of flying Sunday, but other events took over.

Just so you know how I place a "valuation" on a given sky:
    #1 Marked continuity, meaning cu or lennies closely spaced, so minimizing circling.
    #2 Broad coverage of those continuous markers so you can cover lots of miles and not repeat.
    #3 Start early and end late. V times T, you needs as much T as possible.
    #4 For thermals, height is last.

If you have the first 3 and the height is ok but not great, you can go very far, even in a lower performance ship. Of course in a lower performance ship, thermal height becomes more critical sooner than say, FNX.

So under the above criteria, Sunday is best. Saturday looks great too, but in terms of total distance achieved, Sunday is better.
    Kemp
    ASH-25 (FNX)

I turned around a couple of miles south of Callahan on Saturday. There were not many clouds looking north along the Marbles...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	3907
    ...and still a lot of snow in the Trinity Alps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	3908

Some clouds north of T-15 marked the return route and it was easy getting home!

I flew up to T-15 today (sunday). Bases were around 9k until i got abeam of Yolo (about 5 miles west of it) where i hit the first strong thermal that went up to 11K. Moving toward T-15 bases went down to 10K, though there were higher clouds that i couldn't find lift under. Was a bit nervous about over development around T-15 so turned around (couldn't see around clouds to the north anyway). Convergence line: Snow--BlackButte, T-15, though another line of clouds ran over Hull later on. Cu's were close together, which is typical of low bases. Fairly easy run, though small altitude band to work if a climb was missed.

Key